2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It wouldn't cost us 17M+ as the Broncos would incur a dead cap hit of 7.65M in 2024 and 3.8M in 2025. So you're getting Sutton for about 10M in '24 and 13M in '25.

That's dirt cheap for a quality WR in today's NFL.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are right, not 17 mil, but it's not 10 either. Basically we are looking at 13.6 in 2024 and 14 in 2025: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/courtland-sutton-25139/

Not bad, like you said. I would not call it dirt cheap though, but probably where the market would be for someone like him. Which is why my preference is to get Corey Davis to unretire. I really think Corey can provide similar contribution for half the price and won't cost a pick.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thanks for the clarification, was looking at OTC and they didn't have his yearly cash #.

Still, Sutton at ~13.75M AAV for 2 years is dirt cheap IMO. Would have him as the 22nd highest paid WR in the NFL before FA starts, so he'll probably be closer to 30th in AAV by the time the season starts.

I'd also love for Corey to come back but I don't see that happening. Hope I'm wrong!

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Graham Glasgow, a solid vet G/C, resigned with the Lions for 3yrs/20mil. Would have been a decent target but not a big price tag for a good o lineman so I find that somewhat encouraging.

Leicester Jet, Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

In fairness, Mac made the pro bowl after about 5 other QBs backed out. By the end of that season the league was starting to figure him out and he’s been Zach level bad ever since

mezzavo and Borat like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, after seeing some of the early deals at IOL, I think we can sign 2 starters at a reasonable price tag. If that happens, I think AVT at RT starts to look more likely for 2024.

Will be interesting to see what moves we try to make today.

Borat likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Tee Higgins has requested a trade from Cincy.

Should the Jets be involved? If so, what would you be willing to give up to get him?

This is a tricky one for me. We're most likely giving up at least one premium pick, maybe 2, and some Day 3 picks too and then paying him a top of the market contract.

As much as I'd love to add Higgins, this one might be too expensive for us in our current situation.

ouchy and Borat like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

With Burrow on the 2nd biggest contract in NFL history and Ja'Marr Chase likely to break the WR contract market, it would seem unrealistic to also sign Higgins to another near top-of-the-market contract. A trade might be inevitable.

But for our purposes, he'd be far too expensive (contract and draft capital), especially with our cap situation and dire OL needs

Brook!, Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I do not expect heavy action from JD on day one big wave, big money moves. JD is $ limited plus he has never been good with the big trades. Tier two is where he seems to do much better like with Conklin and Reed and that’s where he should strike.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

WR is where we need Rodgers to deserve his pay. A good QB can hide some of the WR deficiencies. A top WR is more important for a mid tier QB but for a top QB like Rodgers we really need him to make average WR's work. I am willing to break the bank for Offensive Line. if money left, yes let's go after top WR's but if no money, then go OL heavy.

Lon Chaney and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

12. JetFanInPA

Glad to hear it! It's a decent raise but he deserves it. Hope Morestead is next

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Another solid move. Didn't let him hit open market. So far the way I see it JD is doing little things right. Not overthinking it. I am just not sure the big one (not transition tagging Huff) was, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. JetFanInPA

Obligatory it's been 8 minutes and JD hasn't signed anybody criticism

Free agency is (sort of) officially here! I'm hoping for some solid OL additions but also that JD is shrewd about free agency and trade rather than going full Mike Macagnan. Big moves fast aren't necessarily good

15. JetFanInPA

Jonathan Greenard, another highly rated pass rusher albeit with a slightly higher sack total, just signed for 4yrs/76mil with Minnesota. Would imagine Bryce Huff would be getting close to that. And if so, that would make us out obviously - and at that point it would be the right move.

IDFjet likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, would be nice to have a transition tag option where we would actually have a choice...

17. JetFanInPA

David Bhaktiari officially released. Wouldn't be surprised if we're interested for obvious reasons, but it would have to be at a super team-friendly deal given his extensive injury history. And they'd need a really, really good backup OT option (not banking on Carter Warren or Max Mitchell) if they did pursue him

HomeoftheJets, Jets79 and AtlantaJet like this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Fire everybody! Sell the team!

JetFanInPA likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get the impression JD is going to spend big, and borrow a lot in this FA. He's in desperation mode. I just hope this isn't the offseason that ruins us for the rest of the 20s.

We'll probably sign Bhactiari cause of Arod. But he is not reliable so it should be a good deal for no more than 2 years, and very little guaranteed.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

They are reportedly super close on and off field, and this is ultimately Rodgers' show in 2024.

Barring a can't match financial offer materializing elsewhere it's likely even more of given then Lazard was imo.

ouchy likes this.