2024 NFL Free Agency News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 8, 2024.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That guy sure made a ton of money off of a bowl game sack....

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed Conklin is underrated. And it's time for Ruckert to get more playing time. I don't want to be too close-minded but TE at 10 is a hard sell given some of the flops we've seen for highly drafted TEs in general.
    Maybe if 10 wasn't such a good spot for their biggest needs, OT and WR, I'd be more open to Bowers, but need and value couldn't align much better unlike last year. They should take advantage and get a top OT to build the line for the future (or 2024 for the inevitable injuries) or a high end WR to add another dimension to the offense

SOJAZ, Jets79, Nyjets4eva and 6 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not to derail the thread but why do you consider Ruckert just a blocking TE? From what I've seen of him he's pretty damn good all around, enough so that I'd play him the majority of snaps regardless of the situation at this point.

Brook!, SOJAZ, IIMeanDeanII and 3 others like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We don't need Bowers. I think Ruckert should be #1 TE, Conklin perhaps in pure passing downs, and OT or WR at 10 or trade down.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

TE is the rare position where the vast majority of best pros were not 1st round picks, and vast majority of 1st round picks did not workout, with exceptions being late 1st rounders.

Drafting a TE top 10 never works out.
    I’m in the camp that you take a two way TE rounds 2-3 out of the Big 10 or Notre Dame, instead of a one way speed demon high in round one.
    Bad teams do the latter.

This draft has good OTs, WRs, and QBs.
    That’s the best play for the future of this team, which is what the draft is all about.
    Reaching for a TE thinking that’s the missing piece would be painful.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com...ns-tight-end-kyle-pitts-hayden-hurst-atlanta/

#565 BacktoQueens, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Jets79, ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would love this signing. Solid guy all around. Double digit sacks, good run defender. A 1 year rental, but he can be useful for sure, particularly if we have a single injury or McD does not take a leap.

Ozymandias and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Well there goes my Fields dream up in smoke.

Sent from my genius mind.

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

And as far as we know, still ZERO interest from any yeam in Zach.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

At this point might as well keep him as qb3. If fields only gets a conditional 6th, we aren't getting anything for Zach.

Sent from my genius mind.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

came here to say this. 6th for Fields?? Wilson isn’t worth shit.

SOJAZ and SackRecord99 like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fields went to Pitt for a 6th that would become a 4th if he plays enough snaps.

So basically we could have had Fields as our backup for a 2025 6th - cheaper than Mac Jones or Kenny Pickett. But JD would never have done it because he passed him over in the draft.

12. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Fields would be a terrible fit as long as Rodgers is a thing here, and while we don't even have anybody in the building that is actually qualified to help develop the kid further along. The idea that Hackett would be rolling out an offense that finds creative ways to make Fields' skillset work in the event Rodgers went down again just isn't based on reality.

Fields was cheap because as a backup option nobody really wants to pick up that $20m+ 5th year option that would be due in like a month. So it's a 1 and out deal.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInPA like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The option is just that, an option - no one needs to pick it up and it's pretty obvious that exercising the option would be a waste of money - the guy is not worth 20 million. That does not mean that bringing in a guy like that must be a one and done deal - you're giving the guy a chance to prove he should be around beyond one year and are then free to negotiate a contract based on his worth at the time rather than what a league rule requires.

ouchy likes this.
  14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

He's been close, but never actually gotten double digit sacks in a season yet.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Steelers teaching the Jets a class in how to navigate QBs.

We play them this year? They will probably wreck us by 20 or something, with an incredible amount less invested in the QB position

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Kronoking

I
    We play them in Pittsburgh.

And yeah, if you step outside the bubble long enough to acknowledge that a better case projection scenario for a 41yo Aaron Rodgers sees him play as well as 2023 Russell Wilson, then it's hard not to love what Pittsburgh has done there.

Imagine what this 2024 Jets team could like like right now with Russ/Fields locked in for less then $5m combined, a real OC, no Lazard, and another $50m+ to spread around.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah there’s no way busted up Rodgers outperforms Russell Wilson this year. They got him for the veteran minimum. And they got a future piece for a 6th rounder

what do we got $66 million more and numerous draft picks invested in Rodgers? And millions more in his butt buddies cause he can’t play with the guys we tell him to play with

Russell Wilson looked hungry and focused with a chip on his shoulder last week. Whereas Rodgers was literally all fucked up on drugs in Costa Rica during that same time

there’s a reason why they are always good and we always suck

blackssmagic and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. Kronoking

I even forgot to mention the extra 2nd round picks.

All Woody had to do was wait another year to fawn all over a guy's ego in way Tomlin never would. Russ would've of ate that crap up.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbit from Cimini's weekly column. Wtf was Joe Douglas doing? So instead they paid twice as much money for a player with less production? What a screw up unless Kinlaw ends up having a really strong year.

"When the Jets signed defensive tackles Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu, the natural assumption was that they had moved on from Quinton Jefferson. Not so. They wanted him back. The Jets were given a chance to match the one-year, $3.6 million contract offer he received from the Browns, but they took too long to respond, two sources said. Jefferson had agreed to terms with Cleveland by the time the Jets answered"

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sounds about right.