2024 Jets Training Camp - News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Man. This gave me goose bumps. I hope this intensity carries over to the season. I so need us to win the division. Checked the latest odds. Vegas agrees with me. Jets are the favorite to win AFC East. Let me bump up my old thread for some lolz. :)

themorey likes this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Dude looks like the Tasmanian Devil out there. That's probably where he learned it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

themorey and mezzavo like this.
  4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

It looks like Sabo got Siri'd

5. NCJetsfan

Every snap from the starters in the Jets-Giants practice (Video)

LAJet and Borat like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That was plum nasty!

There's some real talent on the team... hope they don't over-think the playbook.

mezzavo and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Rich Cimini
    @RichCimini

·
    Follow
    DT Solomon Thomas says this was “definitely one of the hardest camps I’ve been a part of” — meaning the increased number of practice reps compared to last year. #Jets

New York Post Sports
    @nypostsports

·
    Follow
    "It hasn't been this hard since mat drills my freshman year of college, waking up at 5:30am" Quincy Williams and Tyler Conklin reflect on intense #Jets training camp

themorey likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Michael Nania
    @Michael_Nania

·
    Follow
    Time to give Bob credit where it's due. Robert Saleh struck gold with his training camp strategy, potentially finding the solution to a long-standing #Jets issue https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/08/23/robert-saleh-ny-jets-training-camp-strategy/

On Thursday, the New York Jetsheld their final training camp practice of 2024. Afterward, multiple players spoke to the media, and they consistently echoed the same sentiment.

“It ain’t been this hard since mat drills my freshman year of college, waking up at 5:30 a.m.,” said Quincy Williams.

It’s probably the heaviest training camp I might have had in my career, so far,” said Tyler Conklin.

A few days earlier, 40-year-old Aaron Rodgers agreed, saying, “I would say the camp is much harder this year, and maybe the hardest in the last seven or eight years of my career. I knew that I had a little insight coming into camp that it’s what Robert [Saleh] wanted to do. So I think it’s been good for us.” Rodgers added that New York’s starters had gotten around 300 more reps than they did in last year’s camp.

If you’re head coach Robert Saleh, you have to be feeling tremendous about how things played out.

The Jets are a veteran team with many players facing significant injury questions. Choosing to give this team a “hard” training camp – rather than play it excessively safe – was a bold move by Saleh. If he publicly announced this intention prior to the start of camp, he likely would have been chastised by fans and media. Traumatized by the events of 2023, Jets fans probably would have preferred to see Saleh put all of his key players in bubble wrap instead of having them run a single 7-on-7 rep.

But Saleh took the opposite approach, and it turned out to be a smart gamble in the end. Despite pushing his players harder than they have ever been pushed before, New York made it through camp without any significant injuries. Now that the team has reached the end of August in good health, the harder work ultimately did nothing but make them more battle-tested and prepared for the regular season.

The Jets have struggled mightily with injuries over the past few years. It reached a point where the team’s injury woes could not be explained solely by bad luck. There had to be something that could be done to improve the team’s fortunes.

Perhaps this is the change New York has been looking for.

It is possible that the Jets had set a standard of taking training camp too lightly, making the players’ bodies unprepared for what was to come in the regular season. Most of the Jets’ severe injuries in recent years – namely Carl Lawson (Aug. 2021), Mekhi Becton (Sep. 2021 and Aug. 2022), Breece Hall (Oct. 2022), Aaron Rodgers (Sep. 2023), and Alijah Vera-Tucker (Oct. 2022 and Oct. 2023) – happened from August-October. Players were usually getting hurt early in the season (or before), which points to a possible lack of preparedness.

Playing it safe would have been the easy way out for a franchise that is scared to death of the impact that one freak injury could have. Saleh spat in the face of that fear by challenging his players to go even harder.

Sure, this approach may have hypothetically put them at greater risk of injury in the present, but in the long run, it would send them into September feeling more accustomed to the routine of regular season football than most other teams. And since the Jets escaped scot-free anyway, Saleh’s bet paid off. He netted the long-term benefits without any of the short-term costs.

And, who knows? Maybe the idea of Saleh’s strategy carrying short-term risk is far-fetched. It’s possible that going harder actually decreased the player’s risk of injury in camp.

Contrary to his aggressive camp approach, Saleh announced on Thursday that he has decided to rest his starters for Saturday’s preseason finale. That makes it three consecutive games with no reps for the starters.

Some might argue that Saleh’s decision to rest his starters throughout the entire preseason contradicts his aggressive approach in training camp. I disagree.

Consider the workload that the starters have already gone through in joint practices. Not only did the Jets compete in three joint practices this season (compared to only two last season), but the third one was similar to a normal game in length. According to Saleh, the Jets and Giants planned to go “about 75 plays” in their Wednesday practice. That is substantially more work than the starters would get across all three preseason games combined.

Sure, there’s less contact in a joint practice than in a preseason game, but joint practices are far more valuable mentally. Preseason play-calling is absurdly vanilla, offering nothing for players to learn from an X’s & O’s perspective. Teams are a little more creative in joint practices, allowing players to gain experience that is more transferable to a real game than what they would see in the preseason.

Plus, resting his starters for the entire preseason is Saleh’s reward for their hard work on the practice field. With three joint practices and nearly a month of intense training camp practices, forcing his starters to play even one rep in the preseason would be overkill. Eliminating the risk of a preseason injury washes out the (hypothetical) increased risk of injury that came with Saleh’s intensified camp approach.

Saleh has been the subject of constant criticism during his tenure as the Jets’ head coach (including from yours truly). He deserves credit where it’s due. His modified plan for the team’s 2024 training camp was a smart move. By going with an intensified approach in camp, the players’ bodies are more prepared for a 17-game grind than they were in any of Saleh’s first three seasons.

This could be the answer to their injury woes that the Jets have been looking for.

LAJet likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

35 Not Expected to Play When Jets Meet the Giants in Preseason Finale
    Green & White Finish Summer Schedule with 7:30 p.m. kickoff at MetLife Stadium
    Aug 24, 2024 at 06:51 PM

The Jets meet the Giants for the 55th time in the past 56 summers when the regional NFL rivals conclude their preseasons against each other at MetLife Stadium tonight (kickoff shortly after 7:30 p.m. ET).

And as head coach Robert Saleh said, the Jets' lineup "will be consistent with what we've done the first two games," meaning that not only will virtually all of their projected regular-season starters rest for the third preseason game but that some of their top rookies will sit this one out as well.

A total of 35 players on the Jets' 90-man roster are listed as not expected to play. That includes starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers and experienced backup Tyrod Taylor. Saleh said Thursday that Adrian Martinez will start at QB and play the first half, while Andrew Peasley, who started last week's win at Carolina, will run the offense in the second half. As last week, Taylor wlll dress as the Jets' emergency QB but is not expected to play.

Among the others listed as not expected to play are rookie T Olu Fashanu and rookie RBs Braelon Allen and Isaiah Davis.

However, Davis will also dress although he's not expected to play. Also, DL Micheal Clemons and CB Brandin Echols will dress but are expected to stay on the sidelines for the game.

Here are the Jets not expected to play against the Giants on Saturday night, grouped by position:

Number Player Position
    8 Aaron Rodgers QB
    2 Tyrod Taylor QB
    0 Braelon Allen RB
    32 Isaiah Davis RB
    20 Breece Hall RB
    82 Xavier Gipson WR
    10 Allen Lazard WR
    18 Mike Williams WR
    5 Garrett Wilson WR
    83 Tyler Conklin TE
    89 Jeremy Ruckert TE
    74 Olu Fashanu T
    78 Morgan Moses T
    77 Tyron Smith T
    76 John Simpson G
    75 Alijah Vera-Tucker G
    66 Joe Tippmann C
    71 Wes Schweitzer OL
    92 Leki Fotu DL
    54 Javon Kinlaw DL
    94 Solomon Thomas DL
    95 Quinnen Williams DL
    11 Jermaine Johnson LB
    57 C.J. Mosley LB
    56 Quincy Williams LB
    44 Jamien Sherwood LB
    29 Jarrick Bernard-Converse CB
    30 Michael Carter II CB
    26 Brandin Echols CB
    1 Sauce Gardner CB
    4 D.J. Reed CB
    22 Tony Adams S
    36 Chuck Clark S
    21 Ashtyn Davis S
    23 Isaiah Oliver S

10. NCJetsfan

Tyler Conklin Sees Many Good Differences Between Jets of 2023 & '24
    Veteran TE on Aaron Rodgers, Offense: 'We Have a Really Good Foundation ... I Feel Good About It'
    Aug 23, 2024 at 10:15 AM

Jets tight end Tyler Conklin was in a reflective mood this week about how any number of things have changed for him and his team this summer compared to last.

The intensity of the training camp sessions, for example, as head coach Robert Saleh took a different approach at the start of his fourth season at the Green & White controls.

"He hinted at it at the end of OTAs, it being a heavier training camp, so I kind of knew what to expect," the man called Conk recalled. "It's definitely been a grind. But I do think it's paid off, having these joint practices and having these really heavy days. We have pads on and we're doing 70, 80, 90 plays. And I just think as a team, our lungs and our conditioning, I feel like it's definitely worked out how he wanted it. We have a really good foundation."

Hand in hand with the "heavy" camp is the non-existent game activity. For the first time in franchise history, most of the starters will have played no preseason game snaps by the time the Jets' annual summer joust with the Giants concludes late Saturday night. The last time that happened for Conklin?

"My last year in Minnesota," he said of the prelude to the 2021 regular season. "But that's because I tweaked a hamstring and I didn't play. But I ended up having a pretty good year that year. So I feel good about it."

And there is one thing Conk knows he wants to see different. Even though last season he equaled his career high with 61 receptions and set a personal best with 621 receiving yards, there was the little matter of no TD catches.

"Yeah, man, I don't love it. The zero in the touchdown column hurts a lot," he said. "But they'll come. There'll be plenty of touchdowns this year. They'll come."

Conklin feels confident about that because of something that didn't change over the past two summers, and that's his quarterback. The tight end started to get to know Aaron Rodgers last preseason, and this year the hope is that their regular-season connection lasts a lot longer than four offensive snaps and 4:04 of clock time.

"Going into last year, you come into it really having no idea, right? You just hear so much stuff about Aaron this, Aaron that," he said. "But I think after having two offseasons with him now and really getting to know him and understand him, there are just so many things he does on the field that I feel like a lot of people don't do. The biggest thing is just getting to know him and then trying your best to see things the way he sees things. The more you can do that, the better off you're going to be."

Conklin feels the A-Rod atmosphere hurtling toward Sept. 9 opening night at San Francisco in particular is beneficial for his game.

"Having this cohesive unit has really allowed me to take a big step in the run game," he said. "Then as a pass catcher, just being with Aaron, having such a better understanding of him and knowing when I have the freedom to run a route like this, I've got to be in this spot at this time, I feel like there's a lot out there left on the bone for me to go out and show what I can do on the football field."

And the Jets' tight ends room can show more as well. Expectations are for Jeremy Ruckert to step up in his third pro season — "That's my guy, right? Every day he gets better and better." Kenny Yeboah, going into his fourth Jets campaign, could continue to make contributions at TE and especially on special teams. Zach Kuntz, at 6-8, could become a big target at some point this season.

Mix that position in with the Jets' wide receivers and running backs and a full season of Rodgers, and 2024 could show major differences when compared to '23.

"I think everybody's had those moments with Aaron where, OK, we're meshing more and more every day. Those moments just keep happening and things keep getting better and better because there are so many nuances to his game," Conklin said. "I mean, those are all just a lot of little situations that can really add up for everybody."

11. NCJetsfan

Jets-Giants Joint Practice Report | Aaron Rodgers a 'Different Person' in 2-Minute Period
    Garrett Wilson Shines in Final Open Practice; Brian Daboll Says Jets Defense Is ‘Fast’ and ‘Aggressive’
    Aug 21, 2024 at 07:00 PM

While the Jets and Giants will conclude their preseason slates Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, the teams competed in a lengthy practice Wednesday in Florham Park that might have served as the final go-around against an opponent for Aaron Rodgers and Jets starters before the regular season kicks off in San Francisco on Sept. 9. The Jets got the better of play on both sides of the ball much to the delight of a packed crowd at the Atlantic Health Training Center.

Offense

After a slow start in last week's joint practice with the Panthers, the Jets offense started fast and remained hot throughout Wednesday's session with their cross-town rival.

QB Aaron Rodgers started the day with completions on all three of his attempts in 7-on-7, including a big gain up the sideline to WR Xavier Gipson. Rodgers would later put the finishing touches on a productive practice (and summer) with three consecutive scoring drives.

"It was a great feeling to put that end of practice together," C Joe Tippmann said. "Have to give a lot of credit to Aaron for what he does as a veteran guy, it's amazing. Once we get into that two-minute, he snaps and is a different person. He is sitting there making signals, making calls and making sure everyone is on the same page. Just to see that and see everything come together on offense and us put what he has in his head on paper on grass, it was awesome, especially being able to finish with touchdowns."

In the move-the-ball period, Rodgers and WR Garrett Wilson connected for arguably the best throw-and-catch of camp. The veteran quarterback dropped back to the Jets' 35-yard-line and hurled perfect 55-yard pass in the air to Wilson, who beat CB Nick McCloud, for the touchdown. The Jets offensive line provided strong protection throughout the afternoon against a talented defensive front and Rodgers was bolstered on his long scoring toss by LT Tyron Smith's knockdown block of edge rusher Brian Burns.

The Green & White wrapped up practice with a situational period. The offense trailed by 19-14 with 58 seconds left in the second quarter and started on its 49-yard line. Rodgers first led his unit down the field in six plays and found WR Allen Lazard along the backline of the end one as time expired.

While Rodgers led a methodical drive, QB Tyrod Taylor needed two plays against his former team. After an incompletion to WR Jason Brownlee, Taylor went right back to the second-year wideout hitting him in stride for a 51-yard score.

"I love seeing Aaron run through those two-minute periods," CB D.J. Reed said. "It's like he's just playing catch out there and it's really exciting to see him do what he does."

In the first period, a red-zone period which started at the Green & White's 20-yard-line, the four-time MVP found RB Breece Hall up the seam for a touchdown behind the safety. Rodgers would have had two more red zone scores had it not been for a couple of drops.

The next period, Rodgers and Wilson connected on a pair of chunk plays. The future Hall of Fame QB rolled out to his right and flipped a pass over the Giants linebackers to Wilson, who found a soft spot in the coverage. Five plays later, Wilson made a sliding catch over the middle for a first down.

Defense

The offense's performance will fill the headlines, but the defense had an impressive day against Giants QB Daniel Jones & Co.

"I thought we had a good practice," CB D.J. Reed said. "On the defensive side, I thought we ran to the ball and we finished well in the two-minute."

In the two-minute end-of-half session, after Aaron Rodgers and his group found pay dirt, the Jets defense stopped the Giants first-team offense on four plays. Jones completed his first pass for a short completion before throwing at Reed near the sideline each of the next three plays. They were all incomplete.

"I was playing boundary corner," Reed said of the drive. "All the formations were by-1 [formation], so usually if you're playing man [coverage] and it's a by-1, the ball is usually going to go to your side. I was just ready for the moment. I played one coverage in press, one in press-bail and one coverage off, so I gave three different versions of man, but I was able to get the job done."

Giants HC Brian Daboll said of the Jets defense: "They play fast, they're aggressive. They're assignment sound. Coach Saleh does a great job. … They tend to do what they do, they do it fast and they have a lot of good players."

Jetcetera
    Rookie T Olu Fashanu did not practice due to a minor elbow strain. … CB Qwan'tez Stiggers warmed up on an adjacent field after he missed Tuesday's practice with a personal matter. … UDFA DE Braiden McGregor had a nice practice with a run stuff and added a pressure on Giants QB Tommy DeVito. … QB Tyrod Taylor connected with WR Jason Brownlee for 2 TDs including Brownlee's juggling touchdown grab in the far-left corner of the endzone. … QB Aaron Rodgers threw a no-look pass to TE Jeremy Ruckert, resulting in a chunk gain. … Rodgers got the Giants to jump offsides twice, resulting in a pair of free plays. … QB Adrian Martinez and rookie WR Malachi Corley hooked up for a pair of long receptions along the sideline.

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

So basically the Jets are NOT playing tonight.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I can't imagine why he'd be tired of talking about a guy who, in 18 months on the roster, is 0/1 passing for 0 yard and a 39.6 QB rating.

I'd have to think that he's like a lot of us now, numb to the excitement that the idea of Rodgers brings to the table. Until Rodgers actually does something on the field for the Jets, it's been a year and a half roller coaster that broke down halfway to the top of the initial climb and the car has been sitting on the track with everyone stuck in it just...waiting. Inevitably, the payoff is almost certain to not live up to the wait and the ridiculous amount of hype.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Xazavian Valladay should change his name to Xazazian Xallazay.

mezzavo, IDFjet and JackBower like this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Jim Rome is 2 things without a doubt. A d bag and not relevant. I honestly had no idea he had his own show. I only know him because he only got his ass kicked during an interview and he had a show in ESPN (I think, never watched).

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Usually in the case of Jim Rome I am fine with the attack the messenger thing, but this seemed like a fairly standard and innocuous line of questioning.

JackBower likes this.
  18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Per Cimini - WR Mike Williams (knee) is expected to take a few team reps today for the first time. #Jets

themorey likes this.
  19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I'd be tired of that crap too. It's all you hear about. Rome is a bitch for trying to control the narrative and getting butthurt when an athlete doesn't fall in line and canceling the whole thing. He's a joke. He should go back to giving failed financial advice.

barfolomew likes this.