2023 - Week 8: New York Jets at New York Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 15, 2023.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2023.
  1. Jets

85.7%
  2. Giants

14.3%
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

In the last 20 quarters the Giants have only scored a touchdown an offensive touchdown in 2 of those.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The bye week actually unfortunately came at a bad time. We were rolling and I think we would’ve at least gotten Sauce back if not both him and Reed if we played this week so it didn’t really help us much from the health perspective.

Acad23 and dawinner127 like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

GW was a little banged up as well. I am sure there were others that we do not know about.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

26. New York Giants
    • Previously: 29th in NFL defense rankings
    Entering Week 7, the New York Giants’ defense had five sacks in six games. On Sunday, they reached that total in three quarters thanks to Sam Howell. We do give defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale credit for the last two weeks because this Giants’ defense has now delivered two outstanding performances and that includes a primetime matchup against the Bills. Just recognize this pass defense still has a lot of problems and when you aren’t facing a quarterback who seems to be magnetized toward defenders, this is what happens. We still view this as a bottom-10 defense, but the Giants D/ST is a sneaky flier in Week 8 against the New York Jets.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The Jets should win this game, but the Giants are not as bad as their record suggests.

Losses to Miami, SF, Buff, Dallas and Sea. Those are all playoff caliber teams.

The Giants offense is pretty bad though and if the Jets can consistently get there with 4 rushers, they should be fine.

Win the turnover battle and for God's sake score some TDs when in the redzone.

KY Jets Fan, Brook! and dawinner127 like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We can look at our Red Zone woes as 1-9 is awful or Hey, we have been in the red zone 9 times in two games.(When was the last time that happened)

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier in this thread, I truly believe that there's not a single team in this league we can't hang with or lose to. The Jets that beat the Bills, Eagles and [should have beaten the] Chiefs would annihilate this Giants team. But there's also the Jets that got clobbered by Dallas and couldn't take out the Pats at home. It's going to be ugly, neither team is going to look good, and I wouldn't be shocked by any outcome. But it sure would be nice to convincingly beat a team that scored their first offensive TD yesterday since it was technically summer.

8. BroadwayAaron

Their defense has definitely been playing better the last two weeks but beyond surface level, they aren’t doing anything that other teams haven’t been able to do. It’s very obvious that there is a game plan for getting in Josh Allen’s head. Multiple teams have found it and a coordinator as good as Martindale was definitely going to find it. Props to them for executing it though.

But what they did against the commanders in terms of their pass rush was quite literally average. The Commanders have given up 40 sacks through 7 games. That’s 5.7 sacks per game. The Giants had six sacks against them yesterday. I know it’s not that black and white but to pretend like the Giants magically found their pass rush is evaluating everything at surface level.

9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’ll just go back to there is NO team that is a gimme win for us. We are good enough to hang with many (most?) teams because our D can play lights out but we are also fully capable of losing to any team as well, as was already posted earlier in this thread.

Combined with our historical propensity to totally suck coming out of a bye, this game has ugly loss possibilities for sure.

I think our D will be good, I just don’t trust our offense against that Giants blitzing D…they’ve played damn well last two weeks, and should have beaten the Bills if not for a no call PI in the end zone on their final play. I don’t really trust Zach to play well against a complex blitzing D…

We’ll see…I think it’s for sure a game we “should” win, but I’m not so sure we “will” win it…

SOJAZ and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They went into the bye celebrating like SB champs. The coach said they have "embarrassed" the 3 best QBs in the game, even.

if they come out of that and lose to a bad team like the Giants....

KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets are actually averaging less total yards per game and passing yards per game than the Giants offense everyone is trashing. We have one less interception and the same amount of passing touchdowns. That’s all while they’re allowing about two more sacks per game.

This is going to be a tough game. Feels like a very SOJ-y spot.

12. Lon Chaney

Sauce and Reed both still in concussion protocol.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pfffft

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The biggest thing I've noticed is NY Giant fans really think jet fans have cared and thought about the Giants.

It's sort of a weird obsession. Giant fans seem to have a lot to say about the Jets, and then talk about how jet fans think about the Giants.

Maybe I'm in the minority and not living in NY/NJ helps, but I really couldn't care less about the Giants outside of the on air talent at WFAN who are Giant fans are pretty annoying.

cval and barfolomew like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Giants fans are pretty non-threatening, kind of like Cowboys fans. They a like the NFL fan version of veal, very soft between the ears from their team winning championships, and they don't actually feel the need to understand the game much. Usually very unchallenging human beings. Do they even care about football? They are basically what Patriots fans were before Spygate made them think they had something between their legs. (and ears)

barfolomew likes this.
  16. dawinner127

Only because they weren’t at the facility last week because of the bye week.

they need to get a LP followed by a FP so we don’t know if the last practice they got before Sunday v Eagles was a LP or not. I would be shocked if we don’t get them back.

NY Jets68 and Lon Chaney like this.
  17. dawinner127

Also daboll helped develop Allen For how many years? I’m sure he had his hand in that defensive gameplan on certain tendencies and looks.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. Lon Chaney

Got it. I guess we'll find out a lot more tomorrow and Thursday

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

this concussion protocol thing is insane

20. BroadwayAaron