2023 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well yes and no NC...I get what you are saying. Douglas has earned his salary based on the Rogers trade alone. But his overall tenure is hardly impressive (one amazing draft)

You have not graded this draft NC ..and you won’t

But even if half these players pan out I assume it’s higher than grade C?

3. NCJetsfan

My biggest problem with JD's tenure was his hiring of Saleh. I think Brian Daboll was the right man for the job. He had a proven track record of developing QBs and had developed Josh Allen. He was the guy that the Jets should have had with a rookie QB. Since JD knew that he was going to draft a QB with the 2nd pick, I think hiring a defensive coach as HC, who in turn would hire his good friend, MLF (who would be a rookie OC), having a rookie QB Coach, even with Greg Knapp was borderline moronic. He then compounded it with taking a QB who was not a fit for the WCO either in style of play or mechanics. It's the typical ignorance or arrogance (I'm not sure which it is) we all too often see in the NFL. Taking a player who exceled in college in one scheme and then assuming that he can excel in a totally different scheme that is pretty much the exact opposite of the scheme in which he played in college. Now it may be that Daboll and JD didn't see eye to eye on things, or maybe Daboll wouldn't have wanted Zach, but even though Saleh has done a pretty good job as a HC and has done a lot of things well, imo the team would be a lot better off with Daboll as the HC and then taking the QB that Daboll wanted or at least would have agreed upon. Then the trade for Rodgers probably wouldn't have even been necessary. That QB would be playing at a pretty high level already. We'll probably never know why Daboll wasn't the hire as HC.

If Becton had stayed healthy and been playing at a Pro Bowl level (or close to it), his initial draft would look a lot better. Remember also that was when Adam Gase was still the HC, and since JD works with the CS to build a consensus on players, that draft can be excused to some extent. Mims had some bad luck with sickness and injury and immaturity in dealing with MLF. I think Mims has a chance to prove himself a worthy addition this year. He showed flashes his rookie season.

The 2021 draft will look a LOT better if Zach develops under Rodgers' tutelage, RB Carter bounces back this season, and one of Nasirildeen and Sherwood stay healthy and develop. AVT is a stud, and Moore showed flashes. Echols is or was useful depth.

No GM is going to hit on every pick. JD has handled the cap, trades, and moving around in the draft with aplomb. I think he has done a better job in the draft than some here. We'll see how this draft pans out. If it proves to be a bust, then I'll probably be ready to at least start thinking about moving on, if not actually moving on.

You're correct that I haven't given this draft a grade yet, and I won't for a couple of years. I've never been a fan of immediately grading drafts.

NYJetsO12 and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Well thought out NC. As usual... I'm in the NY area and do not recall any talk of Daboll being considered, or interested. Obviously he has been a great hire by the Giants. I am on record in many posts of being a supporter of JD. Maybe it's because the bar was low here, but I think guys here should give more credit to him for his bold moves: AVT, Breece to name two huge ones. Also, the trades he's made. How does the Robby Anderson decision look now?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain that I remember that Daboll interviewed with JD for the HC job, but my memory could be faulty in this regard. Perhaps Daboll was contacted and either had no interest in the Jets' job or the Bills wouldn't allow him to interview. I know he was on the short list to those who would hopefully be interviewed.

You got me curious whether my memory was faulty about Daboll interviewing, so I googled it.

EDIT:
    According to the following The Jet Press article 9 candidates were interviewed. https://thejetpress.com/2021/01/14/ny-jets-ranking-9-candidates-interviewed/

The 9 candidates were:

9. Aaron Glenn
    8. Marvin Lewis
    7. Brandon Staley
    6. Eric Bieniemy
    5. Arthur Smith
    4. Joe Brady
    3. Matt Eberflus
    2. Brian Daboll
    1. Robert Saleh

#225 NCJetsfan, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Daboll interviewed with both the Jets and Chargers that year. JD selected Saleh. Not sure if an offer was ever made to Daboll, I don't remember one being reported.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Knapp had a much longer history than Daboll of training top QBs in the league.