2023 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2023.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

As I said, it’s second guessing. Joe would be roasted for moving up when it was perceived he didn’t have to. He’d rethink that swap with GB though had he known. I’m disappointed with the way the draft went. I think Joe recovered well from that bad hand he was dealt.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInNE like this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

Roseman has been excellent. But those first two picks he made were no doubt easy layups. Our GM was just as masterful last year.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry my friend ..but HR is a hands down a better GM year after year getting the Eagles better. I mean not even close comparison lol

Also while the “masterful “ JD was missing out on crucial pick ups and trading us back . Roseman made moves up for the Eagles that scored big eg an A+ draft versus Jets C draft day (not AR) performance
    I usually like your posts Loge but not this one

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What crucial pick ups and trade backs did JD make last year?

I’m so confused. You replied to a post where the op mentions HRs draft this year with what JD did last year with similar ammo. Your reply however doesn’t…

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  5. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He traded up to get Breece and traded back into the 1st round for JJ

6. KingRoach

So to clarify, you would have rather missed out on JJ and Breece and kept the picks we gave up?

I’m just looking to clarify your statement and get it on the record that you would have preferred we pass on an Edge rusher and B. Hall.

Wait, I’m even more confused bc in the post of yours, you say it was a good thing HR moved up to secure his guy….but in the post I’m replying to, you say it’s a bad thing JD did it….

7. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I’m not who you were talking to, I just saw you ask about JD moving up last year and I was answering. Absolutely JD should have done it

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are confused.. my reply was speaking to how JD did in this years draft 2023...

He traded us back and NE for example picked up a player we needed. He did a C job

Other than the draft when JD got Garret Wilson and Sauce Gardner his tenure as GM has sucked

9. KingRoach

@LogeSection2RowJ was comparing The Eagles draft this year to JDs draft last year. @NYJetsO12 completely changed the narrative in his reply and when I asked him for clarification, you replied. I assumed you were the same person which made it more confusing. We can blame it on @NYJetsO12 for completely changing the topic while also trying to sound like he was continuing the conversation.

LogeSection2RowJ and JetFanInNE like this.
  10. KingRoach

See, here’s @LogeSection2RowJ comparing HR this year to JD last year.
    Here’s @NYJetsO12 replying to the post. But instead of replying to the topic, he changed it to JD this year and HR this year… he did this without any clues he did so…. just randomly started talking about something else in a reply.

I asked wtf he was talking about and I mistook your reply for his. I hope everyone is caught up.

11. KingRoach

Yes, when you reply to someone who was comparing 2022 JD to 2023 HR and you disagree but randomly use 2023 JD without telling anyone you’re changing the subject… other people might find it a little confusing.

Next time try either A staying in the subject you’re replying to or B let the audience know you’re changing the subject. It makes it much more fun for the reader.

LogeSection2RowJ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. LogeSection2RowJ

Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment because the things I said that you disagree with are things I didn
    Thanks @KingRoach I'm glad my point was taken the way I meant it and called it out. I didn't have the energy to keep it going.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey, you got Israel Aganikanda right! I didn't follow the draft this year very closely and I had never heard of him, but he looks like he could be a great addition to the backfield. Great call!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Considering the problems Becton has had with his weight, I didn't think the Jets would have any interest in Dawand Jones, and would have been very surprised if they took him, even though he sounds like he was a good prospect other than his weight. I'll be curious to see how he does in the NFL. Evidently, a lot of other teams shied away from him because of his weight as well. Based on what I read about him, I think he was a 2nd round talent, maybe even a late 1st, but he fell to the 4th round.

15. NCJetsfan

I was a little surprised at that as well, but believe it was the 2nd time that JD has traded with them since he was hired.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I'm curious. Here you have a guy with sub 4.4 speed a crazy high RAS score, but a pretty bad shuttle score and a lesser 3 cone score. Does this indicate stiffness in his hips or ankles? Poor lateral agility? Does it mean that he's more of a straight-line speed kind of guy?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Sorry, Joe, but I have to disagree. Tippman will start over McGovern. McGovern was given a backup contract to re-sign with the Jets. He had one of his best seasons last year and was still pretty bad, giving up 5 sacks and quite a few pressures/hits/hurries.

I have to believe that JD, Saleh and the Jets scouts like McDonald for a reason. He may not start, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a part of the rotation and be a situational pass rusher this year, even if Lawson is still here. The competition in that group of Edges is going to be fearsome.

Warren will probably be a 2nd stringer and key backup. I'd rather have had one of the top OTs but it wasn't to be. Luck wasn't on our side and NE traded with the Steelers to make sure that we missed out on a top OT.

Abanikanda could see a lot of playing time early with Hall still recovering from his injury, and could even be a pleasant surprise and force regular playing time because of his speed.

IMO one shouldn't grade the draft on what could have been. Even without the trade for Rodgers and subsequent swap of 1st round picks, the OT the Jets wanted, or all of the top OTs could still have been gone by #13. At that point, it's too early to take a C, OG or S. We weren't going to take a CB, TE, or RB that high. Would you have been that much happier with Lukas Van Ness? If not, who would you have taken at #13 or #15? Calijah Kancey? Jaxon Smith-Njigba? Quentin Johnson?

JD and Salen believe that with Rodgers at QB we'll have a lot more 4th qtr. leads, and then our pass rush becomes more important. You might disagree with that approach and assessment, but at least it's sound reasoning, and one can never really have enough pass rushers. I believe you loved JD's 2022 draft, so why lose faith in him so quickly?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

After giving all those picks to GB, there was no way that we could afford to trade up in the 1st round, and there's no way that JD should have traded up. Sometimes GMs just have to accept that they're not going to get the player or position addressed the way they want to and have to let the draft come to them. I think the worst thing that JD could have done was panic, and mortgaged our future to get an OT. Even if that OT had started day one and played at a high level, imo it wouldn't have been worth it, but none of these OTs were slam dunks. They all had question marks, and it would have been very risky. If JD had traded up and then that OT was meh, gave up a season-ending sack and injury of Rodgers, or got injured, JD would have gotten killed by the fanbase.

I do agree that it's hard to grade this draft, and like you, who cares about the draft grade that someone assigns? The only important thing is if the players develop/pan out and contribute at a high level. Only time will tell that.

#218 NCJetsfan, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
  19. NCJetsfan

I agree that it's second-guessing and that JD would have been roasted for moving up when it was perceived that he didn't have to.

I think JD made the trade and swap of 1st round picks knowing that he might miss out on one of the top OTs. There is a shortage of quality OL in the NFL. There is always a run on OTs in the draft, and in better drafts for OTs, those runs happen early. Even though this was not particularly a strong draft for OTs, there was still a run early

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That would be correct.

That's also why I think they project JBC to be a S at the NFL level rather than a CB.

NCJetsfan likes this.