2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd rather not. We need a QB we can depend on so we can develop the other young talent and be able to extend them early on affordable contracts like the good teams do. Because if Garoppolo gets hurt and Zach is the same old Zach, our young talent will want out.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree! Good grief! It took the Cardinals just 1 year of Josh Rosen to realize they wasted a draft pick, and they moved on. We have already wasted two seasons with Zach, and now some of this board believe it was just bad coaching, and Zach is still our answer at QB. I think Rosen is now on his 6th team, last I heard with Buffalo's practice squad. How many teams cut Rosen, and how many other signed him thinking the Cards possibly made an error, only to realize there was a reason he's been (briefly) ON so many teams his first five years.

Douglas royally screwed up listening to Chris Simms promote Zach. When Josh Allen lost to the jets, Allen put ALL the responsibility on himself despite playing a pretty good game. When Zach stunk the joint up in New England, he took NO responsibility for the loss. Does that tell you something? Those on this board rationalizing Zach's piss-poor performance as the result of bad coaching think just like Zach--None of this is Zach's fault! When he you ARE the second pick in the draft, and are the worst QB in the league, the fault cannot lie in the QB--Hey, he WAS the 2nd pick--got to be another reason other than he stinks.

Get over it, people, and quit embracing Zach as some kind of $35M misunderstood, unfortunate victim of bad coaching.

3. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

What’s going to happen is zack will compete with some scrub veteran in 2023. Zack will show glimpses in the preseason vs scrubs and he will be named the week 1 starter. Woody loves zack that’s all that matters

4. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Fuck it, I can't believe I am typing this but draft Stetson Bennett. All the freaking kid does is win

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

5'11" (Maybe); 190 lbs.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Stetson-Bennett-QB-Georgia

I like his competitiveness and leadership ability, the other "intangibles", but I think he's going to be judged too small for the NFL. What would all those Zach haters who say he's too small at 6'2" 220 lbs say?

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Starting to open up towards Jimmy G over Carr.

Jimmy G
    Mike White
    rookie QB to learn and develop

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

And you’re assuming ZW is released or something? If so that isn’t happening.

9. dawinner127

100% being traded. No chance that kid is on the roster start of '23.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

For context, Zach's full quote was:

“I’m going to make that dude’s life hell in practice every day,” Wilson said. “I’m going to go out there and do my best to show the coaches that I deserve to be there. It’s not in a negative way, it’s a positive way. It’s making everybody else better.”

Seems like one sentence taken out of context isn't enough to make a definitive judgement, no?

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm with you.

I still think signing Carr, not trading for him, is my Option A at this point but I'm also putting my blue-tinted glasses on and thinking how much fun it could be if we took Levis and let him learn under a Jimmy G kinda guy for a year or two.

12. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

heard on the radio this morning the fields maybe available as well with bears having the #1 pick. while he's a great athlete, i am not sure how good of a passer he is however he didn't have much to throw to and his WRs were injured most of the season. if he's available, 1st and a 3rd round would be able to get him here. thoughts?

Borat likes this.
  13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting proposal. I would've normally said GTFO but I think Fields has an outside chance to develop into a top 10 QB. He's got some Lamar and McNair to his game and I think he's got a good head on his shoulders. As you said, will his passing ever become more consistent? That's a tough one.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

When healthy, Jimmy G has been an above average starting QB. It's a big if, but if you get a healthy Jimmy G, this is a playoff team. We'd need a good backup though. I like Mike White, but I don't feel great about 2 injury-prone QBs atop the depth chart. If it's Jimmy G, it would be ideal to have a very strong backup like Jacoby Brissett, but that may not be realistic. So ultimately, I'd be okay with MW as #2, but I'd want a developmental QB too and that can be Zach or a rookie. But I do think Zach will be here in 2023. What's he going to yield in a trade?

I also think Derek Carr would be a good choice

15. dawinner127

I have zero interest in Fields but I do think the Bears should entertain the idea of trading Fields. Reset the entire QB contract window to fit within their timeline. They won 3 games again and Fields is going onto year 3 and there are still ? marks about his ability to be a passer in this league.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A 1st and a 3rd?! Hard pass. Maybe for a 3rd.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach is 6'-2" ? Well lets see... Allen is 6'-5", Burrow is 6'-4", Herbert is 6"-6", Pickett is 6'-3", Purdy is 6'-1" so it is possible for a "short" QB to have success. I would prefer our next QB be 6'-4" minimum as it does seem the taller guys have a lot more success. JMHO

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sign me up. Though I think a lot of it is smoke and mirrors now - perhaps to make it sound that Chicago wants to keep that #1, to drive its price higher. But who knows, if they fall in love with Young it might actually happen. I think that JD might be reluctant to do it though. He will likely want to go for a proven guy. I also think he wants to see Zach in the training camp before deciding whether to move on and won't bring another young prospect. If it were up to me though, at this point I would pull the trigger on Fields for 13th overall and perhaps some change.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, there's a lot to like about Fields. He's a gamer, doesn't quit, obviously adds a dynamic dimension with his running ability, but many of the guys who have been crucifying Zach for his passing inconsistencies are all of a sudden okay with a guy who's even more inconsistent? And I'm not pointing out the hypocrisy (though that may be at play with some), I'm seriously asking them to step back from their love of Fields/Hate of Zach to weigh which one is really better, and specifically better for the LaFleur Offense?

Of course if the Jets went this route - and I doubt they do - they would have to get rid of Zach. Douglas passed over Fields to take Wilson. Do you see this happening as long as JD is the GM? I'd be shocked.

All that said, if it did happen, it wouldn't put my panties in a bunch as long as Fields turned out to be the long lost FQB this team has been searching for. But note to the Fields guys: Don't hold your breath.

bicketybam, ouchy and dawinner127 like this.
  20. dawinner127

People see Fields rushing numbers and how well he does for fantasy football and fall in love. He is barely a better passer than zach wilson and everyone here crushed him. Crazy man.