2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Link?

2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

There hasn't been anything new, he's gotta be talking about the report from days ago. Only new thing I've seen is Waller pining over Rodgers joining the Raiders. I don't see anything else on Packers or Raiders boards.

There was this that was interesting though:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

My thought is we are screwed, but these are my top five picks at a veteran QB.

Note #1: Rogers is a nutcase, can't guarantee shit, even if we get him he will probably be here only 1 season. Would cost $100M, and a shitload of draft capitol for 1 shot. Strong PASS!

Note #2: Carr would be good, but everything points to the Saints and the fact he was never won a game below 32 degrees scares me. Carr likes warm weather so I'm not even putting him on my list.

My top 5 reasonable picks who would give us at least a chance and not cost draft picks or $$$.
    1. Jimmy Garoppolo - Often Injured
    2. Daniel Jones - He would cost us the most if we got him, and could be a one year wonder.
    3. Baker Mayfield - If he has good weapon around him and stays healthy, he could be the best return on investment.
    4. Gardner Minshew - He would be cheap and his career stats are good with 44 TDs to only 15INTs, and 63% completions.
    5. Taylor Heinicke - Super cheap and he was solid this year for playing only 1/2 the season with 12 TDs to 6 INTs, and 63% completions.

Not a flashy list, but a realistic one, especially after Rogers, Carr, Garoppolo and Jones are all gone.

I would keep Wilson in every case as the #2 QB and give him a year under a new OC to prove he can be the future.

ouchy likes this.
  4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That list is disgusting lol. Honestly if we are going the Baker Minshew route we might as well stick with Mikey. I don't think there is any question we are aiming higher, my preference being Rodgers because he gives us the best chance to compete right now and we are not mortgaging our future to do so like so many here insist we would be. Carr is practically a Saint so he's out. Alot of this Lamar stuff going around today which I won't love because of his style of play and cost but it's better than Minshew...

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe the Jets are in a classic zugzwang position at QB right now. Virtually any move they make has a good likelihood of precipitating a regime change next season, consequently invalidating the move as the next regime comes in.

If they bring in a big name, Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers, expectations will go through the roof and the Jets ability to meet them will be fairly low for other reasons.

If they bring in a high draft pick they will of course throw him right on the field and expectations will be high and the Jets ability to meet them will be low for other reasons.

If they bring in a flawed starter, like Jimmy Garoppolo (injury) or Gardner Minshew (high level backup) or Geno Smith (just NO, plz NO) expectations will be high and the Jets ability to meet them will be low due to obvious reasons.

If they start Zach Wilson expectations will be low. However the Jets will suck again and there goes the regime in the aftermath.

Basically any move has a high chance of having expectations exceed results and as we saw with Brett Favre and Sam Darnold high expectations are absolutely killer when the team is unlikely to finish the deal.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Rogers is a nutcase, - that’s your opinion, but ok, I’m willing to keep reading

can't guarantee shit, -
    wait, are we only interested in QBs who make guarantees?

even if we get him he will probably be here only 1 season. -
    definitely maybe, can’t get behind probably

Would cost $100M,
    he’s under contract…we’re not paying $100m for 1 year, thanks not how contracts work…

and a shitload of draft capitol for 1 shot. -
    we have no idea how much capital he’ll cost

Strong PASS! - If we give a shitload of capital to get AR for 1 year and pay him $100m, I’d 100% agree

If we trade only a 2024 1st for him (and Bakhtiari), pay him $100 for the 2 years remaining on his contract, I’d do that in a heartbeat.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would a flawed starter really raise expectations that much? We'd probably be good enough for a WC spot but not go far in the playoffs.

8. Br4d

I think the problem is that they didn't fire Saleh. That puts Saleh and JD on the hot seat this season and it makes the QB move an absolute make or break for the team.

If they'd fired Saleh and brought in a HC from that side of the ball the HC would likely have had significant input on the QB and barring a bad season would have insulated JD for another year. If the Jets moved to 9-8 with just about anybody they brought in odds are pretty good both guys get another season. Maybe even 8-9 if the offense was working ok for the first time in 5 years.

Now the Jets are in playoff mandate mode, whether Woody will admit it publicly or not. The expectations on a high-profile acquisition will be sky-high and even the mid-range QB's will be expected to make the playoffs. The option to draft a young QB has all sorts of pitfalls, primarily that the Jets will throw them onto the field too quickly and that Zach will have a meltdown as it becomes clear his days with the Jets are numbered.

It's just kind of a mess.

papapump, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We'd have just ended up with Hackett as head coach because nobody's going to take a coaching job where there's no QB and the GM is on the hot seat.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Exactly. Firing Saleh would have been a disaster.

azhar80 and KingRoach like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mike F-in White is flying overseas tomorrow to exchange stem cells with Hugh Jackman (I mean Wolverine)
    I think we're good....

azhar80 and Br4d like this.
  12. Br4d

I'm thinking Deadpool is probably the better exchange for him. :)

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Should've pursued a veteran in 2021 and used the draft capital to build up the team. Something like Chase at 2 and Creed Humphrey at 23 would've been a nice start.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm warming up to the idea of Tannehill. I think he'd be a good bridge QB if the idea is really to get Zach back in a year or two. It's not overly exciting but he's a solid QB.

15. ColoradoContrails

If there's a "Hindsight Award", you win.

16. ColoradoContrails

He's a better option than most of those listed.

azhar80, Br4d and blackssmagic like this.
  17. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

18. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

We just hired Todd Downing who was Tannehill's former OC....

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I can't believe he made over 36 mil this past season. Carr is definitely going to get a decent contract from someone.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Now my post was deleted? what is going on here