2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

All options are definitely NOT on the table. I can see a Dalton here to compete for QB2 if we sign Jimmy Glass but there’s no way Dalton or anyone on that tier is our big QB signing.

If AR takes too long, I could see us signing Jimmy G and if AR becomes a thing ship Jimmy off to GB to compete with Love.

If we strike out everywhere I think Tannehill would be available for a pick so the titans have more ammo to move up for their QB.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Going by memory Jimmy G has a .75% winning percentage. More than most top QBs. I must not understand what good is. And I do hate all things Patriots and his arrogant owner.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. KingRoach

Wasn’t he 2-0 as a starter for the Patriots

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He had an excellent winning percentage but so did Brock Purdy. Jimmy G had extremely favorable opportunities as a starter with the Pats and 49ers. The latter is really the definition of a plug and play offense with one of the best offensive minds in the game running the show. We have Nathaniel Hackett... Jimmy G is a paper champion but oft injured and would require solid backups that can hold the torch if he falls and by solid I mean starting caliber (minshew esque).

SOJAZ, KingRoach and JetFanInNE like this.
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Basically Jimmy G isn't the answer, he is a fragile cork keeping the boat afloat till we find the answer. I would prefer AR to mind the gap until either Zach develops (yes, burn me at the stake) or whichever rookie we take this year in the mid rounds is ready, which is something we should absolutely be doing.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInNE like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Becton is thisclose to being a bust, and Mitchell is the classic JAG that Jets fans love to overrate. AVT is really good though.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When all else fails, resort to personal attacks. Good to see that you're out of logical reasons to support your argument.;)

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mitchell was drafted as a prospect in the later rounds and exceeded all expectations so you have no idea what his cealing is. Becton is as close to a bust as is close to be the anchor of our line if he gets his knee healthy. Last year was a fall out of not fixing it properly in year one. Let’s not over dramatize every freaking move on the OL by JD because of injuries.

SOJAZ and KingRoach like this.
  9. KingRoach

A bust bc of availability not skill.

Mitchell is a 4rh rd developmental pick who got thrust into a starting role and still has less than 10 games experience.

Disagree the first has anything to do with talent evaluation and imo the second is too early to tell. AVT is pretty good though.

*Wrote my reply before seeing @LAJet s much better response.

LAJet likes this.
  10. KingRoach

Idk if Jimmy G is anyone’s 1st choice

Cman68 and JetFanInNE like this.
  11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Or second… or third… or yeah…

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fragile? Which is preferable, having your "number one" quarterback put on the bench by the doctors or the head coach? I'd rather have the guy on the field because he can get the job done than the guy who's there because he can walk. With that in mind is there a big difference in availability seen by starting 63.2% or 64.7% of the games once named the starter?

Thanks, but I'll take the guy with the 67.6% completion rate over the guy with 55.2%. Give me the guy rated at 99.2 over the one at 70.9. But mostly, I want the guy who has won 69% of his starts over the guy who could only manage 36%. Garoppolo may not be a Rodgers, or even a Carr, but he's certainly no Zach Wilson.

SOJAZ and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets go into camp next year with 4 or 5 QB's: vet addition (Jameis Winston or Gardner Minshew), rookie 4th round pick, Zach Wilson, Chris Streveler, Mike White ( possibly gone to FA) odds are pretty good they wind up with a competent QB to start the season with.

Winston is not a FA but if the Saints sign or trade for Derek Carr he will probably be available in a relatively cheap trade, maybe a late pick.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jimmy G woulda made sense back when we ran the 49ers offense.

Now that we run Paul Hackett’s, I’m not even sure about that

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No NFL team should be running any particular type of offense that is not suited to and adapted to those who will be on the field to execute it. I believe the Jets have just moved on from a situation that was scheme first, players second; unfortunately, they have hired an Offensive Coordinator who was available after being fired for not giving his quarterback a plan that worked for him.

16. KingRoach

He’s my fourth choice…. Or fifth if I include TB12 coming out of retirement.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I’m not sold on Becton at all. AVT is outstanding, Mitchell was a pleasant surprise.

JD’s failures continue to be on the FA side. Hopefully this offseason we can build up the line.

KingRoach likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Will Becton survive TC without another season ending injury is a critical situation that bear watching.

Cosmo, Br4d, NYJalltheway and 3 others like this.
  19. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Ha! All in good fun. We are diametrically opposed on this issue.
    I rack my brain after every positive ZW post at how you can come to those conclusions after what we've seen from him, but at the same time I admire the zeal at which you support him.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Try being openminded.;)

While I and most others who continue to think Zach can succeed repeatedly acknowledge his shortcomings and failings, you and those who doubt him usually use forceful declaratives to insist that what you believe is the the truth, no room for considering that maybe you aren't really looking at all the facts.

But believe what you want to believe. It's an opinion forum, not a fact forum. But unless you can prove you're a part of the Jets inner circle and have been a part of the film study and coaching, etc. your opinion doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else's.

For the umpteenth time, IDK if Zach will succeed, but I firmly believe that not everything that could have been done towards that outcome has been done. I hope the Jets have finally realized that and will actually do something about it, otherwise we're back to Square 1 on finding a long term solution at QB.