2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Just get Jimmy G, keep Mike White, and draft a QB. Jimmy G will get hurt week 5, Mike White will step in and get hurt week 9, then maybe the new rookie QB can be ready...?

BrowningNagle and Jets1035 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mike White will not be with us next year. It’s a vet, Zack and a rookie.

The Dark Knight and sozopol like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It worked for the 49ers

sozopol likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm at the point In the off-season where I just don't fucking care I think... Who's our QB going to be??

Meh, will It matter? I doubt It.

In the end..

How fucking crazy would It be to have a team, that you root for, actually DRAFT a FQB that keeps us settled In for a decade +???

Imagine actually doing It right and not being forced to be In this dumbass scenario we are In now.. It pisses me off, and this team Is a joke. Of course we miss In the draft.

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME.

Come on, man.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it’s an option. There are some good QBs in this draft class

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I think they should keep swinging on a QB until they hit on one. The narrative that this team is “ready” so we need a veteran is a little overblown. It’s more the fact that it’s been 12 years since we made the playoffs.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only way Mike F'n White will be with the Jets is if Zach isn't. After the shit that happened this year - thanks to a CS that allowed it, and no fault of MW's - they can't both be on the team.

Cman68 and LAJet like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

White makes Garoppolo look like an iron man.

JetFanInNE and LAJet like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

It would be great if the Jets could draft a sure fire, can't miss, FQB, but those are rare, and you either need to have - or acquire at great cost - the #1 pick in the draft they come out in, or you need an amazing scouting department that can find that "hidden gem". And then...IF...you get that lucky, you have to be able to develop this "unicorn". Is it really any wonder that the Jets haven't had one since Namath?

So, with all that said, do you really think the Jets are in a position to draft a QB this year? Serious question. And if so, who?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Part of me knows that this will be one of those times where they're sitting on their hands and a Mahomes and a Watson slip through their fingers, because they had a "reason" not to draft QB.

But really, even if they were thinking QB, they'd get it wrong and another team behind them would get The Guy. The Jets are not capable of finding a QB in the draft, maybe only by accident. Play to your strengths. Joe is a killer negotiator. Get a vet. And real coaches.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There are plenty of teams that have hit on QB's, who weren't #1. I don't care about the past, It hasn't happened yet, It still needs to happen.

All the QB's In this draft, I would consider to be developmental types. Sit, develop the potential, benefit later. I do not see a year one QB In this draft.

Good potential though. I really like Will Levis. A lot. He just has to clean up his game, he gives me Josh Allen vibes though. He can see the field better than most QB's coming out of college, he's a natural at It. Huge NFL arm talent. Good athletic and running skills.

His throwing motion bothers me, I'd like to see that cleaned up. Turnovers are an issue too. If that Is cleaned up, he's got a ton of potential though.

#631 IIMeanDeanII, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't think White has a problem with Wilson on the team. If Wilson has a problem with White on the team, that's his problem.

Pepsiguy5 and sozopol like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Honestly this is the answer. The only teams that win consistently are the ones that drafted their franchise QB. You don’t need to have the #1 overall to find one. Most of the current franchise QB’s weren’t #1 overall. I think an innovative ownership might actually realize that more important than the coach or OC, they need a scouting expert on QB’s. They certainly need to fire the people who agreed that Zach was a top tier prospect. We need someone knowledgeable who’s job is to find QB’s.

14. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, you still didn't address the two biggest issue with the Jets drafting a QB. Yes, plenty of teams have done it, and yes, the Jets must do it, but that doesn't mean they can or will. They've supposedly been trying to do it for over half a century. Let me know when they get serious about it.

And not to be an asshole, but you're quick to excuse the faults of a "shiny new toy", for faults that you blame Zach Wilson for having. In fact, of all the faults people have attached to ZW, a bad throwing motion hasn't been one, and fixing that problem proved to be impossible for Darnold.

IDK, I haven't watched any of the college QBs so maybe Levis is a great option, but until the Jets prove that they can identify FQB-level talent and have the commitment and patience to develop it, using anything higher than a 4th round pick on QB is a waste.

Jets1035, NOVAJET and KingRoach like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I like Levis too. Mainly because I see the trend in QB's is being taller, mobile with strong NFL arm talent. They're a lot bigger frame wise as well so it appears they can take the hits better than the smaller guys. I don't see Levis as a finished product either, but he would be worth a 2nd or 3rd round flyer on if he's available. Swap him out for Zwilson? In a heartbeat. Then get Kurt Warner in the bldg. as his QB guru.

Pepsiguy5 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That would definitely be the correct way to handle the QB situation. 1. Rodgers 2. Wilson 3. Mid-Round QB would be a perfect QB Room to me.

17. ColoradoContrails

As I asked Dean: DO you really see the Jets being able to develop him? And is he that much better than Zach? Keep in mind that for all his struggles, Zach has played two years as a pro and despite what most here say, he has improved in a lot of areas despite major mistakes made by the CS. Meanwhile, Levis has many of the same issues ascribed to Zach, and he's two years older than Zach.

Here's a couple of scouting reports:

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2023WLevis.php

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/will-levis-aec7933d-f8e0-457b-a27f-f9951a585b87/

Yes, a lot of potential, but so did/does Zach. Again, until proven otherwise I don't think the Jets should be drafting and developing QBs.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Levis is more likely to go top 10 than be available after the first round.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yup…but chances are he goes first round…some mocks have him going top ten

I don’t know enough about him or any of the college QBs honestly but many get over drafted

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Again..I’m going to call out what I believe is a false narrative. Zach has NOT improved. You can’t really point to anything that shows he has. So what is it? He’s stats are EERILY almost exactly the same game to game and year to year. His completion percentage remains bottom of the league in the low to mid 50% range. He continues to average about 170-180 yards per game. He continues to average about 6.5 yards per attempt. He continues to throw more picks that TDs. He continues to throw for less than 15 TDs per season. His QB rating was bottom 3 in the league both years. If you don’t want to look at hard evidence with all these stats, then I will also argue that he continues to fail the so called eye test on the field…he continues to not see open receivers downfield way too often. He continues to throw a very inaccurate ball…over receivers heads, into the dirt yards ahead of the receiver, etc. Many times his balls require circus catches by the receivers because they are not in stride. These things could probably be quantified by charting every pass, but I don’t have access to stats like that…but I’d be willing to bet they would also remain very consistent year to year.

so again…why do you continue to say that he has improved….I value your opinion so I’m not trying to be a dick here…I legitimately want to know why you believe that to be the case, because I watch every single game AND I check the stats and the stats back up exactly what my eyes see. He sucked year one and continued to suck year two and no, it DIDN’T get much better at all.

I think that’s a false narrative…and clearly so do the actual coaches on the team as evidenced by their actions…benching him multiple times because he continued to do the same crappy shit, shopping for a new QB, etc.

So after 20-some-odd games, I’ve heard all the excuses from WR drops to bad OL to bad coaching from MLF (incidentally I will call out that Hacket is being criticized for being unable to tailor an offense around a talented QB in Russell, and those criticisms sound very much like many criticisms we have for MLF not being able to tailor his offense around Zach…but that’s topic for another thread)…

anyway…I’ve heard plenty of excuses, but I believe the simplest answer is that Zach is just not a good QB. For two years running. With NO noticeable improvement in his game for year 2 (and please let’s not go to the “he won 5 games”talk track because he played just as crappy in those games outside of a drive in Pitt or a throw here or there…those games were won by the defense and the running game, and once Hall went down and the OL got hurt, we lost those games)

anyway…I think this debate has been had ad nauseum… so we can leave it there…I just can’t stand by this myth that he has improved…