2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I want them to try and salvage Zach, but I've gone on record as saying that I think they need to sign a proven vet QB to play for them this year. But if they sing the likes of Minshew, and/or keep MW, I think Zach should be given a chance to compete for the job assuming the CS think's he's ready. If he's not in their eyes, I'm good with them letting him sit and hopefully learn. Despite what many Zach bashers here think, I'm not saying he should be the starter this year, or that he'll even succeed, I just think he wasn't given the right support and was put in the wrong scheme and I'd like to see that rectified before we pass final judgment.

AtlantaJet and JetFanInNE like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would not draft a developmental QB this year until I see what Zach can do this year with the new OC. I am pretty sure, even if we get Carr, if Zach improved a lot we will know it. At the very least he will start some games in preseason and even Carr doesn't always play 17 games. If he becomes good, we will know it, and coaches will see it too. But the question is, are you happy with Minshew as the starter? If Zach doesn't pan out, which is likely, this seems like a pretty risky scenario to me. Hence me be a Carr advocate.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Bring in Carr and end this circus. He's exactly what this team needs, a proven NFL QB.

Then focus on the OL and get ready to roll. The team is not far off.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, I'm not in favor of Minshew or anyone of that level. Get someone in who can take them to the SB. If Carr is that guy - on paper and his record he could very be - fine.

And I agree they shouldn't take a QB in the draft unless something fluky happens - like Favre falling to the 2nd round - or there's someone they feel is just too good to pass up as insurance behind Zach. But as I've stated numerous times, when have they been able to develop any young QB? On that basis, until proven otherwise they should just use their picks for more practical needs.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Carr can do that repeatedly. Qbr is the best qb metrics by far.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Now this is an organization that's shitty to their players. Can you imagine how toxic their fanbase must be to let this happen? (Rhetorical question...)

7. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

It’s Texas and we’re talking about football. Yeah I think we get the general idea

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't believe a player is out there who is tough enough to succeed in the NFL but so weak he cannot withstand the scrutiny of media and fans; that is part of the Pro game..

#468 Ralebird, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

sure.. so if the jets trade for carr in 2 weeks, i guess there wont be a thread until march,

10. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Not officially. It is non binding. Raiders have an issue. They have to cut Carr or guarantee salary by 3 days after SB. Raiders can agree with a team to trade before new league year, but other team can back out leaving Raiders holding the bag for a guaranteed contract. I can’t see Carr going for much because of this. If he wants to go to a certain team, he can help them get the best deal. Because it is cut or trade to that team at that point. Carr holds all the leverage.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The Rodgers to the Jets chatter is starting to heat up.

The first deal would be reasonable and I'd probably do it. I definitely don't want to give up 2 1's for a 40 year old QB tho.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Get it done, Woodster!

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just touching back on this since I specifically remember this conversation with you and @Br4d about what the salary would look like for Rodgers and with all the chatter yesterday about it felt like this would be worthy of the post.

Great article breaking down the entire thing.

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Man, I haven't finished my coffee this morning so that article took me a couple of read-throughs to fully understand haha

The part I really don't like about a Rodgers trade is that it seems like, if he retires after 2023, we'd incur a 14.575M dead cap hit in 2024 and a 29.15M dead cap hit for 2025. Even worse than that is if he decides he still wants to play in 2024 because then we're on the hook for roughly 30M in dead cap for 2025 and 2026.

The more I read about this contract, the more I want nothing to do with Rodgers. Unless we can get GB to eat a little more of the money on this contract, I say we stay the course on Carr or even Lamar if those contract negotiations fall apart.

#474 KY Jets Fan, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  15. bicketybam

There's a lot to digest there. Are the Jets just Aaron Rodgers away from winning the Super Bowl?

16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's a great question. I think with a healthy Rodgers they could compete with any team in the AFC

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

LMAO. I had to reread it a few times as well. NFL Cap is a nightmare, god bless the people who actually do it for a living.

I wonder if there is a way to restructure the entire thing if he retires after ''24 so the cap in 25/26 is less. More upfront in '24 to protect them against the 25/26 hits when we have to look into Sauce, Hall, or Wilson contracts.

I think they are at the very least competing with the Bills for the AFC East and in the same category as Buff, Cinci, and KC with a healthy Rodgers at QB.

18. bicketybam

You would be giving up a lot to get him. You basically got two years to win a super bowl. If you don't it was a colossal mistake.

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I do not understand why people don't like Minshew. He has a career 63% completion rate with 44 TDs and only 15 INTs. This year he averaged 8.7 yards per pass attempt. If he had been the Jets QB, we might still be alive in the playoffs.

Edit: Also he would be the cheapest option for a proven QB.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Let's just fast forward to 2025 when Aaron Rodgers retires after two disappointing years and the Jets are looking for a new GM and coach.

For the record I'd do it for that proposed 2023 day 2 pick and 2024 first rounder but there's no chance that's real.

The Dark Knight likes this.