2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That's what I was thinking but ai keep seeing reports that Carr could be traded soon, not sure how that's possible. I think they have to cut him before the superbowl.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think they can trades outlined in principle before March 15, but they can't make them final until then, so teams can in fact "trade" before then.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Any reports about Carr being traded imminently are pure BS.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I believe Stafford was traded to the Rams late January a couple years ago. Agreement at least. Can't be completed til the new league year. Carr has that weird contract thing 3 days after the Super Bowl, so he definitely can be traded at any moment.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I agree they have to FINALLY fix the OL once and for all, however they do it - FA, trades, draft - it must be THE priority this offseason. I also suspect that the "wide zone blocking scheme" they've used under MLF wasn't well suited to the players they have, but I'm not an OL guy so I'm only guessing, but the number of injuries the OL sustained, and the struggles they had even when more or less healthy, lead me to think that. In any case, Douglas has to use his supposed expertise in OL building to get this right NOW, no more excuses. Maybe a good OC will really make a difference too.

Zach didn't help many times with his slower processing of reads, but again, demanding him to play in a way not well suited to his strengths, and actually accentuating his weaknesses, contributed to this. Most certainly, hiring a qualified OC who can install a better scheme for him will help this greatly.

But no matter who the QB is, they need better OL play. Firing the OLC indicated they know this. We can only hope they get this fixed this year finally.

Borat likes this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Don't even think about trading for Dak Prescott lol

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nope. That was In March. New league year starts In March.

You can come to a verbal agreement but that Isn't binding, It's risky, very risky. Especially In this situation with, Carr. If a team verbally agrees to terms, then backs out. The Raiders are fucked. I truly don't see a trade happening, just seems improbable to me that The Raiders would be willing to risk the biscuit with this one.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don’t think anyone here suggested it.

IIMeanDeanII and JetFanInNE like this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I know, but the chatter about trading him will pick up and he will be another vet qb that will be brought up

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Stafford was traded on 1/31/21.

The Dark Knight and dawinner127 like this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's definitely some confusion online as to when NFL teams can start making trades. All of the lists of dates include March 15th as the first day that teams can officially make trades but there are a bunch of references to teams being able to trade again once their season is over.

Not sure how this relates to Carr's bonus/guarantee. The NFL may have a gentleman's agreement in place about how deadline issues relate to end of season vs official trade date.

12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

From what I understand teams can agree to trades but they don’t become official until 3/15 so there’s the concern of backing out. If someone agrees to trade for Carr and then backs out Raiders are on the hook for the contract.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, it is risky, but it is also risky for QB-needy teams to let him hit the market when they can just trade for him first. Makes it a really interesting situation.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is what I don't understand. Carr has a no trade clause and knows he will be a FA on Feb 15th - this was already reported. This is not like Stafford situation. Why would he waive this clause? He hates the Raiders and doesn't want to do them a solid after they shitted all over him. His new team loses draft capital, which otherwise would help him. And last but definitely not least: if he is a FA, there will open competition and bidding for his services driving up his price, and he can pick ANY team that is interested, not just these who are willing to give the Raiders a pick. Why would he waive the trade clause when he can much easier sign with anyone on March 15, raise his price via open market, and have that team more assets to help him win?

SOJAZ, IIMeanDeanII, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

I think if he believed he could raise his price on the open market, you are right, that is a slam dunk decision and approach for him. However, his deal is like $40 million a year for 3 years, right? That is pretty high. No guarantee he gets that on the open market, especially after a bad year in Vegas. That is a reason to accept a trade. Although, his new team may want to re-work that deal even if he is traded.

Jets79 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

By definition if someone is willing to trade for him after the year he had, there is right there a market. :) He only has total 40 mil guarantee left, he will get way more than that on open market, where is far and away #1 FA. Think about it if you are the Jets, yes there are dream scenarios of Rodgers, Lamar, etc, but realistically who is actually available with Carr's track record? No one else. There will be plenty of takers. Jets will be very lucky to end up with Carr, because there is really no other FAs of the same caliber. Maybe Jimmy G, but his injury history is atrocious. Chances are we will end up with likes of Minshew/Brisette/Bridgewater, because there will be a lot of takers for Carr, like there were for Cousins back in the day when he used the Jets to get a better deal from Minny. But I hope JD can beat the odds and get Derek, I would consider this a pretty big accomplishment.

If I am Carr's agent though, I am telling Raiders to release him and not waiving a trade clause for anyone. If there is a team willing to trade assets, we can talk to that team just as well after Carr is a FA right away , plus other teams as well. He doesn't need to wait to start negotiations, he can do it as soon as he is cut, which has to happen by Feb 15th to avoid the 40 mil guarantee. Then the contract he negotiates with the new team becomes official on March 15. Again, I personally don't get it, but who knows maybe I am wrong, but the only way a trade happens is if the Raiders hold on to Carr after Feb 15th and guarantee 40 mil, which looks like they were not willing to do when they sat him, but might change their mind based on QB market assessment.

#436 Borat, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

After reading the article posted by @IIMeanDeanII about Carr wanting out of LV because he couldn't stand the criticism from McDaniels, I don't think he's be a good fit here with the super critical fans and media. I hope he's smart enough to realize that.

IIMeanDeanII and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

Could be looked at the opposite way though. He will be loved for his mediocre QB play with the Jets, as the fans and his teammates would appreciate the upgrade.

HomeoftheJets and Borat like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not really a media, but coaching. This reminded me of "tough love" comment by Steve Young. It seems like MILF and Josh McDaniel have a similar style. In that same Steve Young podcast I shared earlier, Young talked about different coaches having different styles, can't really adjust, and that may not work for certain QBs, which does not mean the QBs are not talented. A good coach needs to find a way to get the best out of their QB. It appears both Zach and Carr fall into that category where big brother approach would benefit them more than tough love.

I think we need a QB coach and/or a coordinator who can make that adjustment. I personally see Zach on the roster next year in back-up/3d developmental guy capacity, and coaches that come in would need to be able to work with him. Hence, I don't see why we can't have Carr on the roster, who needs a similar approach. We need to get the right OC and QB guy in place, maybe a guy like Olson, then Carr/Zach combo is actually pretty intriguing to me for 2023. Can Olson get Carr back to the level he was way all his years with him, which was pretty high and improves us instantly quite a bit? Can Olson get something out of Zach that MILF couldn't and actually develop him? Can one of these two things happen - which means Jets can actually have a good QB play in 2023.

#439 Borat, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    SOJAZ likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What about the bonuses though? Say somebody is due for a bonus on a date before the league year opens?

cmcm750203 likes this.