2022 Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well that was more like it

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yanks finally show some life early in the game (1st inning) and Rodon gives up two bombs to go down 4-1.

Yikes.

The lineup is utter trash outside of two players. Volpe looks like he’s probably going to be a decent .240/15/60 shortstop with some peak years at 25 homers and that’s about it.

I don’t know what reason there is to even buy at the deadline if we get another couple weeks of this.

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Is Rodon your typical Cashman guy? I follow baseball more than any sport and, humbly speaking, I know almost all of the players in the league.

Rodon was never on my radar as a big time arm that the Yankees should have signed. I also don't remember many people saying it was a fit outside of need and he was the best pitcher at the time available, if you look at his previous season.... which is a bad reason to throw stupid money at a pitcher. Of course I was happy they got him, but the question marks were obvious to someone who isn't paid to make baseball decisions.

I don't blame GMs if they sign a guy that is a no brainer, ala CC or Cole if they did not pan out. But Rodon came off as a "I'm the Yankee GM I have to do something" move that yet again screwed this team for handful of years. Like Pavan, Jacoby, Stanton, Igawa, etc.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Seems like it. He has two out of the ordinary years back to back before signing his huge deal. One of them with only 24 starts.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodonca01.shtml

L
    ooks like he is who he’s mostly been.

6. JackBower

Yup.

I don't blame Cashman for DJ either. That dude raked for years and is a very good defender. unfortunately he just started getting injured nonstop right when his new contact started.

That falls under shit happens for me. There's about 6-8 other players, or holes I fully blame on Cashman. This is the guy who went into a press conference and said he couldn't pay judge because of the Aaron Hicks. That's the GM.

7. typeOnegative13NY

Hard to believe we’re only 2 games behind the orioles after the last 2-3 weeks.

8. JackBower

How appropriate that in one of the more important at bats in recent weeks, Trent Grisham is the batter.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That was quite the kick in the balls to start the all star break.

10. JackBower

I don't think much he's changed. The Yankees need a starting infielder and at least 2 bullpen arms, one being an 8th or 9th inning guy. I don't have a lot of faith if that's not addressed one way or the other.

11. typeOnegative13NY

Strange, I have more confidence in a successful jets season than a successful Yankees season at this point , the way things are going.

12. JackBower

For those keeping score, Torres has a one pitch fly out with the bases loaded 1 out and another error that led to a run.

Benching DJ was a move, but they decide to keep playing the guy who is getting 1 more hit every 15 at bats and is one of the worst infielders in baseball.

13. JackBower

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Nothing makes players more comfortable than hitting in a new spot in the lineup every night.

Volpe was hitting .260/.270 in the leadoff spot in front of Soto. He hits a slump, Boone bounces him down to 5/6/7 on any given night and he’s finally just recovering now.

15. JackBower

I hope twenty years from now we learn who decided to change the lineup every single day under Boone and Cashman. I think it's Cashman, but I'm a hater.

Since1969 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

That’s the type of loss where we need a Todd Bowles table flip or something. Boone will defend how hard they play or some bullshit though.

17. typeOnegative13NY

The yearly Boone swoon in full effect.

18. JackBower

Hard to imagine the offense being just as bad as last year with Soto/Judge playing the way they are. But here we are.

19. typeOnegative13NY

Team seems to produce early on every year… until Boone’s magic takes hold a month or two in.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

At this point, the Mets are a much more attractive landing spot for Soto than the Yankees assuming the money is relatively equal.

They have a couple bright young hitters in Vientos (24) and Alvarez (22) to go with Lindor (30), Nimmo (31) and I’d guess they bring Pete back (29).

The Yankees have Judge (32) and hot trash every where else with I guess Volpe as a decent short stop.