2022 - Week 3: New York Jets vs Cincinnati Bengals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 18, 2022.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2022.
  1. Jets

52.5%
  2. Bengals

47.5%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Damned, that’s some nice drinking right there. Be safe

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I do give a tremendous amount of credit to Mann, who by the way won AFC Special Teams Player of the Week, and the whole ST unit of the Jets for that play, where he faked going right then went left with the kick. That was fucking awesome. Plus the fake punt that resulted in the first down earlier in the game. But did you see Garrett's reaction to the onside kick recovery:

JetFanInPA, KingRoach and LAJet like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

One would assume the Bengals would try to feed Mixon the ball here like you said, but Zac Taylor seems like a coach who just gets too cute with it.

4. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I mean, he’s been the most sacked QB in the NFL the last two seasons and he managed to get to the Super Bowl. I’m sorry but I completely disagree with you on that one.

FJF and KingRoach like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Chubb has been in 3 games this year. He had less rushing yards vs the Jets than the other 2 opponents.

Exactly how successful do you think he was against us?

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Good article from the guys at Jets X-Factor here.

Maybe some things to keep an eye on for all of us on Sunday!

Pressure, pressure, pressure
    The Bengals revamped their offensive line this year following Burrow’s 51 regular-season and 19 postseason sacks in 2021. The four newcomers were rookie Cordell Volson at left guard, Ted Karras at center, Alex Cappa at right guard, and La’el Collins at right tackle. The only remaining lineman from last year is left tackle Jonah Williams.

However, so far, it’s been new faces, same old story. Burrow has been sacked 13 times through two games with a whopping 38.2% pressure-to-sack rate, the worst among QBs. Williams has been one of the biggest culprits, allowing three of those takedowns, the worst among all starting tackles, and 10 total pressures, the second-worst tackle total. Meanwhile, Collins hasn’t fared too much better, allowing a sack and six pressures.

Besides the sacks, Burrow’s numbers under pressure are not pretty. On 34 dropbacks under pressure, Burrow is 7-for-17 (41.2%) for 88 yards (5.2 yards per attempt) with one touchdown and one interception. He has three turnover-worthy plays in such situations, per PFF. His passer rating is 53.1, and his PFF grade is 33.9.

Stop deep passes
    Burrow was the fourth-best quarterback in the NFL on deep passes last season, posting a 95.8 PFF grade on throws 20 or more yards down the field. He posted 27 big-time throws and just five turnover-worthy plays on 68 deep attempts, per PFF.

This year, though, Burrow has posted just a 45.6 PFF grade on seven deep attempts this year. Though it’s a small sample size, it recalls his rookie year, when he was just 9-for-48 on deep attempts, an 18.8% completion percentage that was the worst in the NFL.

Burrow has one of the scariest deep targets in the NFL in Ja’Marr Chase, but Chase has just one deep target this year (no catches). The Jets have the cornerbacks to stop him man-to-man. Although the Jets’ safeties have been among the worst in coverage in the NFL, their three starting corners have been good-to-excellent through two games. The Jets need to find a way to keep their corners covering Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd.

Force turnovers
    The Jets struggled to force turnovers last season, which furthered their already-prodigious defensive struggles. Through two weeks, though the defense has forced two interceptions, one was to D.J. Reed in garbage time. This week, they will have the opportunity to force Joe Burrow into mistakes. Burrow has already thrown four interceptions (five total turnover-worthy throws) and lost a fumble.

Even last season, Burrow tied for sixth among QBs with 14 interceptions, so he will give one away from time to time. The Jets need to be ready to pounce on those opportunities and actually pick the ball off.

Attack zone runs
    The Bengals do not post nearly as big of a rushing threat as the Ravens or Browns. Furthermore, they employ a wide-zone running scheme, which does not threaten the Jets as much as gap-blocking does.

Joe Mixon was still a Pro Bowler in 2021, and he poses a threat on the ground. Still, through two games this year, Mixon has the third-worst PFF run grade among backs with at least 20 attempts at 55.9. He also has the worst Expected Points Added (EPA) among all backs with 20 attempts at -9.84.

#106 KY Jets Fan, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    chandler, ouchy and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Figured I'd put this here... Whatever Zack is or isn't... Seems safe to say that Justin fields was not gonna be the answer to our qb needs.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He would have been crucified here. I am not out on him quite yet. He is a player that needs to develop.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They've done that kid zero favors. No weapons, shitty OL, Nagy was clueless last year and then they bring in a defensive coach this offseason. What a disaster from top to bottom. How the hell do they go into the season with Mooney and Kmet as their only impact weapons? They passed on so many WRs for a corner..

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

What Chicago is doing to Fields reminds me a lot of Sam Darnold's time in NY.

Noam, cval, PabloJa and 2 others like this.
  11. Losmeister

Oh please

The "Poor Sam" narrative has been debunked. He stinks.

12. Losmeister

My guess is Jacoby Brissett is his ceiling.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Doesn't change the fact that Sam's best weapon he ever had here was either Robbie Anderson or Jamison Crowder.

I'm not a Sam apologist by any means but lets call a spade a spade.

Noam, PabloJa, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I predict a win for the Bengals. They're way too good to be 0-3. Their OL has had too many investments to not start to improve. And I think there'll be some revenge after their improbable loss to the Jets last year. 31-20

But there's a lot of momentum around the Jets right now and do think it's a winnable game and potentially one where their pass rush can find some rhythm. So I have hope too. And, getting ahead of myself, Pittsburgh next week is a very winnable game

Regardless, I'm more excited about watching them than I ever thought I would be with Joe Flacco at the helm. Really looking forward to seeing their skill players, their OL, pass rush, and how Sauce and Reed handle Jamaar Chase.

CotcheryFan, papapump and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Good article from Ben Solak. Does a good job of illustrating why the Bengals have struggled so far this season.

Long story short, they've been very predictable.

When Burrow goes under-center, they're going to run the ball and it's going to be a zone run. When Burrow is in Gun, it's a pass. Hopefully Saleh and Ulbrich have been beating this into the defense's head all week long.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. Losmeister

and yet Robbo put up better #'s w/ McClown and Bilgewater as his QBs... ;-) doh!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sacks and other QB hits are cumulative. Burrow has already missed significant time in his career to injury.

In the opening loss to the Steelers he was sacked 7 times and threw 4 picks. In the loss to the Cowboys sacked 6 times and got 5.5 yards per attempt in the process.

If the Jets hit Burrow early and often they have an excellent chance to upset the Bengals.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I want to see more production from the Jets defense this upcoming game especially after the disastrous first half of Cleveland

Like how many sacks have we had so far from rehabbed Lawson, or from Williams Franklyn Meyers, Rankins and Thomas???? Zero??

Throw millions at that crew and zero return on investment? (Shades of Mo Wilk)

KY Jets Fan and Cman68 like this.
  20. Losmeister

yes, been weak thus far

NYJetsO12 likes this.