2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with JFM and Huff, and Carl Lawson looked terrific before his injury. We also have some young DE talent that our staff might develop (Rashed, Zuniga). We also might have some potentially serviceable veteran depth, if needed (Shaq Lawson, Kyle Phillips, Ronald Blair).

So I don't see edge as a big need either at this point . Sure, you always take the "generational talent" that's there, but is that Thibodeaux? I'm hardly an expert, but to me, Thibodeaux looks more like a Jadeveon Clowney than a Miles Garrett.

#101 joelip, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    wewantsapp likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kayvon-thibodeaux-oregon-de-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/
    Even blue chip prospects have flaws that need to be worked on. Thibodeaux's are minor and there's nothing to indicate he's not a hard worker. We might win too many games to have a shot at him though.

mrjet80 likes this.
  3. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Assuming we get a top 5 pick and Kyle Hamilton is on the board, you do not pass on him. He is a freakish athlete, and one of best safeties to come out in a very long time. With Maye on his way out, I see this as a priority on Defense. With our Seattle pick, I am ok with going Offense.

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

lol. Jamal, Maye, Ashtyn Davis etc. give it up. Safety is the least important position. Build the lines and get a stud RB or WR when the time is right.

5. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

We spent a first round pick 2 years in a row on the oline. Give what up??? Do you know anything about Hamilton and his skillset? The 3 safeties you listed aren't on his level. Adam's is a box safety, Maye is an average safety and Davis is invincible so far. Hamilton is Ed Reed 2.0, do some homework. Our receiver room is just fine and not a need at all, as is the running back room. Safety is a huge need, I disagree.

6. WoodyHarrelson

Unless we’re set on Evan Neal, you have to look to trade back any first round pick for more future firsts or seconds. This team sucks and has no talent. Couldn’t think of anyone who would start for other teams except Quinnen and CJ

7. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

We need a willing partner in order to trade down. And the lack of QBs is not helping us --- typically that is the 1 position someone is willing to trade UP for.

I agree w/you on Evan Neal. But also in that mix === Derek Stingley & Kyle Hamilton (as of now)

stinkyB likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have seen great things from this Iowa center. It's not a premium position but the guy is the next Nick Mangold and we've had horrible center play for a long while. You do want to get a center in the 20s though not in the teens, but he's that good.

There are so many good edge rushers that I'd imagine we come away with an edge rusher and some offensive lineman.

Relatively weak top end class at receiver unfortunately and not a ton at tightend IMO.

blackssmagic and mrjet80 like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

I've read that the 2023 and '24 classes have better TE prospects. We don't really need a WR early or even at all as the position is one of our deepest.

Maybe I've overrated McGovern, but I never viewed him as the problem. He absolutely should not stand in the way of an upgrade though. Linderbaum might be as close to a blue chip C as there is.

I'd like to come away with an edge rusher, OL, LB, and possibly a CB.

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m all about Tyler Linderbaum with first pick, with second pick I’d look at best TE or WR or possibly LB.

Linderbaum completes the OL rebuild.

11. WoodyHarrelson

Big Board for me

Evan Neal
    Thibidoux
    Stingley
    Kenyon Green
    Chris Olave (if Mims doesn’t play)
    Linderbaun
    Andrew Booth

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Linderbaum would be a great C but doesn’t complete the OL rebuild. RG is still the biggest hole …..

13. mrjet80

I agree with everything except the very last part - the CBs have been impressive - Hall gets better and better every week. No need to draft another CB especially high. It’s the youngest position group on the team. No need to add another 22 year old at this point. They drafted 3 of em this year - 4 if you count Hall from 2020. Let them grow. If they want to add another CB go the FA route this time.

14. CotcheryFan

The CB's have played well and I'm a believer in Hall, but can the others keep it up? All of them were day 3 picks IIRC. Then again, the system we have doesn't place a premium on CB's, so taking one early might be off the table anyway. I'd like to see what they do if Thibodeaux is off the board, but Stingley is still available.

mrjet80 likes this.
  15. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm all about Linderbaum myself w/the Seattle 1st round pick (which is getting better & better w/the Wilson injury). Even that Seattle pick might be worth a quick trade-down just a few spots to pick up an additional 3rd or 4th rounder.

McGovern might not be the problem, but he's not the long-term solution even past 2021 season. It doesn't hurt to factor in that cutting McGovern before 2022 saves approx $9 million. McGovern's full contract is over after the 2022 season anyway --- why not just cut him after 2021 & accelerate the rebuild.

I've got the long term solution for RG in my 2022 mock offseason/draft that's already being worked on......

I had a mock offseason for 2021 trying to get Creed Humphrey to play guard for 1 season before moving to center for the 2022 season. Its early in 2021 but Humphrey could very well be the best center in the NFL right now.

mrjet80 likes this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sure but an OL does not need to have all pro talent at every spot. Linderbaum with any slapstick RG that is close to average and it’s a top unit in the league.

Get him at any cost!

17. mrjet80

I know - I liked Humphery and wanted the Jets to draft him ….. looking forward to your mock.

18. mrjet80

Anything would be better than Van Rotten.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I watched this the other day, yeah, I know it's fluff but it helps that it's attached to a really talented player. Center is a must in 2022.

Rockinz and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if he keeps producing enough to come out, but Sam Laporta (tightend) is another Iowa player worth a look. Tough to ignore their pedigree of tightends with Kittle, Hockenson, and Fant and the kid can catch.