2022... Make or break year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You guys keep missing the point so I'll say this slower. Even though the drive failed at the end, Lawrence moved the Jags downfield in 1:47 secs. Sideline passes to stop the clock were on target and the team moved to the Jet 2. It all went to hell at that point which was as much a function of the Jag OC as it was Lawrence being a rookie QB. I would absolutely love to see Zach move the Jets almost the length of the field in under 2 mins with the game on the line. Give Lawrence credit for getting the Jags that far downfield in a pressure situation.

#101 Cman68, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    Since1969 likes this.
  2. Cman68

No I don't. This was a laundry list of all the usual excuses why the Jets are not successful. They weren't winning when these guys were healthy anyway. Zach has a long way to go before he starts to look like a FQB. So does this offense and defense. Right now, they look like a 4-11 squad. Yeah, they beat JAX who might be one of the few teams worse than they are. They were losing with Davis and Moore. They were losing with Fatboi. The D and all 7 guys were still getting toasted even when at full strength. Never did stop the run. Yesterday they played a team that sucked so on this particular Sunday, They didn't look quite as inept as they would against say, a mediocre team. The best thing to happen to the Jet offense was LeFleur moving up in the booth. The worst thing to happen to the Jet Defense was Saleh not taking over the play calls.

Well, next year will tell the tale. If nothing else, perhaps we won't get all the excuses the '21 jets need to explain their ineptitude on the field and on the sidelines. I'm sure some apologist will come up with something though. Its what homers do. If nothing else, maybe they stay healthy and dodge the Covid. Knowing the Jets, that's probably not gonna happen.

For now, they're 4-11 on their way to 4-13 which numerically is better than 2-14 but still double digit losses. For now, lets just ignore the losses, the dropped passes, the inability to stop the run, no pass rush and so on. That's what real fans do..

Zach starting to look like a FQB? sure why not... Mike White had one good game and folks were talking HOF. Zach makes a 52yd dash for a TD so now he's a FQB. Ok.. Wasn't that long ago that what really defined a FQB was the ability to consistently play at a higher level and raise the play of his teammates. Evidently not a requirement anymore.

Sunshine, Unicorns and Rainbows.. Puff, puff, pass..

2022 isn't that far off.

#102 Cman68, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    ConcordeChops, Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Absolutely, unequivocally not! Let's allow Wilson to show signs of beginning to look like a legitimate NFL quarterback before endowing him with the mantle of a Franchise Quarterback. As mentioned above, simply being on the field when a team wins a few games does not come close to making a quarterback into the FQB you see him as. What kind of definition are you using?

Jets79 likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Lawrence played against the worst defense in the league who was missing its entire starting DL. He had tons of time to throw the ball for the majority of the game. We have made every QB we've faced look like an all pro, yet TLaw couldn't manage a single TD pass against us. 1st and goal from the 5, game on the line and he came up empty.

I think the opening possession of overtime against TN was a much more impressive drive than the one you are waximg poetic about. And that was against a good team with a good defense that wasn't playing prevent.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Douglas is 6-25 now in the years he has had full control of.

That's just inexcusable and it does not point to a better future.

6. Cman68

Your homer tendencies are surfacing. Can't give credit where its due but can come up with a zillion excuses where the Jets are concerned. You're sounding like just another excuse maker. ZW still has lots to learn before he can even be considered a potential FQB. Right now, he's in grade school. I stand by my statement that the last minute drive lead by Lawrence was expertly done even though they didn't get the TD. Lawrence is a rookie just like Zach. They both need to develop CONSISTENCY. That he did it against the worst defense in the league doesn't change the fact that he did it. You can only play against the guys on the field, not on IR. Feel free to stop using that excuse now.

Quoting Bruce Lee: "I don't fear the man that has practiced a thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that has practiced one kick a thousand times.."

#106 Cman68, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  7. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

With no context, yes the sky is falling.

With context, that he took over a team with basically an expansion team roster, no the sky is not falling. This was always going to be a process, it's why he wanted such a long contract.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. bicketybam

Give me your narrative had the situation been reversed and it was the Jets who were trailing by 5 and ended up not scoring from 1st and goal. You would have lost your shit. You be screaming about how Wilson ran out of bounds with the game on the line. You would be screaming about him spiking the ball on 3rd down. There is no fucking way possible you can convince me that your take would have been:

"Hey, I know he came up short at the end, but this is what we want from Wilson. He expertly drove us down the field in crunch time. We should feel good about this."

It would have been all about Wilson's failure to score the winning points. I don't think there is a single person who regularly reads this forum who thinks otherwise.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

interesting fir sure but that would do it…it would create a real financial penalty for the relegated teams who would no longer share in the revenue stream…

that being said, it would NEVER happen. There is no way any current owner outside of the top teams would ever allow it…why should they? They have a clear revenue stream now the way it is… no sane owner would vote to jeopardize that. Secondly, there is no minor league to go to. Thirdly, if the revenue stream cuts off, they wouldn’t be able to honor contracts so the NFLPA wouldn’t allow it either. And fourthly, cutting off the revenue stream would make it pretty much impossible to get your team back up to NFL quality.

nice idea in theory but it just doesn’t work in reality

10. Cman68

This is about the execution of a 2 minute drill. Nothing else. Frankly, I would prefer Zach run out of bounds instead of risking a huge hit and putting him on concussion protocol for the rest of the year. That hero shit only lasts until something bad happens. QB's taking the big hit isn't a sign of heroism. It is a cause of concern for any sane person.

The execution of the 2 minute drill is rapidly becoming a lost art in the NFL. The true FQB's have done it so many times that its second nature and they don't always score TD's when they do. I rarely see the Jets run a hurry up offense even when they should. If Zach will ever become the FQB of the NYJ's, he had better start getting more experience in executing the more nuanced plays like the 2 min drill and/or the hurry-up at different parts of any given game.

You've seen Mahomes do it. You've seen Brady do it to us many many times. You've seen it work and you've seen it fail. One thing is not open for debate and that is, true FQB's know how to run a 2 min offense. Lawrence looked good running it until the end and even though it was against the Jets, it was executed well. Shotty has been known to have brain cramps at the worst times. Teams play the prevent D, the offense should automatically go into 2min drill mode. Why we don't do that is a mystery.

I'm saluting the execution of the 2 min drill. It doesn't matter who's doing it as I'm not a homer. I can appreciate good football no matter who's doing it. When Zach can do this drill CONSISTENTLY td or not, he'll be well on his way to becoming a competent NFL QB. Thank goodness players don't come up with as many excuses as fans.

#110 Cman68, Dec 28, 2021
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if you look at his 1st 6 weeks compared to the 2nd half of the season. since coming back from the injury he's cut down on turnovers, he's staying in the pocket, reading the field, making presnap adjustments. he knows the calls and reads the defense. he's taking what the defense gave him, he's using his legs when needed. he's doing all the things you need a QB to do. add in the elite cannon of an arm and the better accuracy lately he's looking the part.

ColoradoContrails and jonnyd like this.
  12. bicketybam

Jets went 93 yards for a TD running the 2 minute drill in the first game of the season.

While not a two minute drill, they moved the ball to the TN 4 yard line and kicked what ended up being the winning FG in OT against TN

Against the Falcons, Wilson led them to a TD and 2 pt conversion that brought them to within 3 with under 7 minutes to play.

I'm not sure if Wilson has ever been in a situation where he had the ball and a chance to win the game with 2 minutes or under left on the clock. I think the closest was the OT game against TN when he failed to get them into the end zone on the opening drive of OT.

I think Lawrence is going to be very good. I thought he played well for a rookie this past Sunday. It just struck me as odd that you would single out that last drive for Lawrence knowing that if it were Zach it would have been labeled as a complete failure. That's not me being a homer. That's the truth.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

as far as the 2 min drill that's gonna be on playcalling. it's obvious right now with how bad the defense is the jets aren't trying to run hurry up offenses at all. That's also again a situation where it takes time to learn how to run it and manage the clock. it's an odd thing to try and pick apart in a rookie season. brady wasn't even close to as good during his 1st 3 SBs wins as he is now. he had 3 SB wins without ever looking like an elite QB. it's a once in a lifetime situation. mahomes sat his rookie season, he could have played awful we won't ever know. we also are down so many WRs not sure why you'd even bring it up. a 2min drill with mims, cole, and berrios has 0% chance of success. especially behind a makeshift o-line

14. Cman68

If excuses were wins, the Jets would be all time greats. Thank God the Jet Players don't come with these lame ass excuses like homers do.. Every team this year has injuries to critical guys but only the Jet Homer Fanbase contingent uses it as a weekly excuse.

If you don't try to run the 2min drill, how is your FQB in the making ever gonna learn how to execute it? Just remember it was YOU who said Zach suddenly is displaying FQB traits, not me. FQB's know how to run it. Zach will learn how to only by running it win or lose. To your credit, you're not low rating Lawrence for running it. Shotty may be awful otherwise, but at least he put his kid QB in the situation where he could either win a game or lose it by running the 2min drill. Experience is still the best teacher. Not endless excuses. If this year was about ZW's development, why not expose him to something as critical as 2min drill/clock management? This is a tool ZW will have to master. Maybe because MLF doesn't know how to do it either? It could be a "blind leading the blind" scenario. As you've said repeatedly, they're soooo "young and inexperienced".

#114 Cman68, Dec 28, 2021
  15. Cman68

Precisely my point bick. Zach needs to be put in those situations as often as possible. Shotty did it with Lawrence and it almost worked out. The more times both Zach and TW are put in those high pressure win/lose situations, they'll either become better QB's or fail by the experience.

MLF might want to work on that during this upcoming offseason. Those 2 gut runs and a pass play in the red zone ain't working that often. If the Jets are down several scores with the ball in the 2nd half, why not go into 2min mode and try to close the gap? Besides, it would keep Zach out of those deep drop situations when everyone watching the game knows the overload blitz is coming.

16. bicketybam

We are talking about a 2 minute drill where the offense has the final possession and needs to score to win the game, right? I'm not sure you can chose when you want to run that as certain conditions need to be met. Maybe the Jets should have just let Jax score on the first play so they could get Wilson some 2 minute drill practice?

Outside of running it at the end of a half or the end if a game, I would call it a hurry up or no huddle offense.

This whole argument is starting to get silly. Do you think that if the Jets were down 7 or less with 2 min remaining that they wouldn't run a two minute drill???

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Where do you see an "elite cannon of an arm"?

Improvements, regardless of how basic, in a rookie quarterback are to be expected. How you get from there to showing signs of becoming a legit FQB is baffling. Why are you so interested in getting so far ahead of the curve?

18. bicketybam

Shotty would have been fired after the game if he didn't run the 2 minute drill in that situation :D He didn't create the situation for Lawrence's benefit. The game just happened to work out that way. You can't pick and choose when the game is going to be on the line and you have the ball last.

#118 bicketybam, Dec 28, 2021
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I don't have the scouting abilities to really analyze the individual players but from a strategic standpoint I don't think it would be a bad move at all to draft Neal if the two big pash rushers are gone by then. If they can develop him Zach Wilson will be around for many many years and getting him as much help and protection at the beginning is absolutely critical. Learned that lesson with Darnold hopefully. If the Jets feel Neal is worthy of that high of a pick I say go for it. A lot of posters last year seemed to be pretty stoutly against using multiple premium #1 picks on the offensive line (aka didn't want Penei Sewell) but in hindsight that looks fairly misguided. Sewell at this point is obviously the better bet to be a star NFL player for his career than Zach and Becton has played like 2 quarters of football all year.

Really in hindsight about the one lucky break the Jets got all year was signing Moses at the last minute. That allowed them to have Fant on hand to fill in admirably for Becton and survive his loss. Can you imagine if in addition to all the other struggles Zach had this season if sacky McDermit was playing heavy amounts at left tackle allowing him to get crushed multiple times a game like Darnold had to face? Get as many good OL players as you possibly can imho and help your young QB.

The other strategic criticism I have of that plan would be that I feel like at least 1 of the top 4 picks should be deployed at TE. Supposedly that is a key position in MLF's offense and we basically haven't got anybody. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that might be a priority. I think one should be drafted and one should be signed as a free agent if at all possible and this draft apparently has some good 2nd round candidates available.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

so let me get this straight. you are saying that essentially the QB play only matters for a total of 8 mins out of 60 and anyone who accounts for massive injuries is a homer? come on dude, your being a "SOJ" type of fan which is unnecessairly negative and blaming the current regime for everything in the past 50 years. i'm being resonable and objective you are angry and emotional and i'm not going to have a discussion with someone being angry and emotional becuase it's pointless and I know better. If you want to calm down and be resonable i'd be happy to discuss whatever but until then, not really worth my time man. i've posted enough around here for you to know i'm not a homer. The issue is i'm reasonable and objective so I fall into a very small category of fans especially online. the large majority are either homers or pessimists. hell if I was a homer I wouldn't be saying we need another 2 years to really compete. i'd be saying how stacked we are and that we'll compete next eyar just from guys back from injury.

As far as ZW goes, yes it's about him progressing, but it's also about winning. and being smart. if MLF did what you want him to do, he'd be doing an awful job. lets run a hurry up offense with no defense and no WRs and a makeshift o-line and a rookie QB. that'll help us win and him develop lol. it's kinda insane when you break it all down.

um from watching the games. his arm strength is top notch in the NFL. he's doing things with the balls most QBs cannot. even the saints game he threw one away fading back form his end zone and still zipped it 60 yards to get it OOB. most QBs would have gotten picked trying to do that. there's been quite a few throws he's made this season that only maybe 3 or 4 other QBs can make in the NFL

as far as becoming an FQB the reality is, for top picks it's all mental. we all know he has the physical tools or he wouldn't be a top 2 pick. so it's the mental aspect that separates the talented athletes from the FQB. he's already reading defenses correctly, making the right reeds, standing in the pocket, being calm, going through progressions. things sam never fixed even now 4 years in. his 2nd half of the season is night and day to his 1st half that's a huge jump.