2022... Make or break year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 19, 2021.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As of now, I think Douglas should finish out his contract and then we can reevaluate, His 2020 draft class stinks, but 2021 was pretty good. He fleeced Seattle and Minnesota on the Adams and Herndon trades. Idzik and MacCagnan left him with the shell of a roster and some terrible dead cap money to T. Johnson, Enumwa, etc. I think Z. Wilson's progress or lack thereof will likely have a large impact in whether he stays or goes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If his 2022 class has multiple hits, it'll be clear that the current CS has a system and knows what players are needed for it.

3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Cleveland and Pittsburgh are likely to have new QBs next season, and Rogers with Green Bay is still iffy. Anything can happen.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have no problems if JD takes Neal, but I've heard some draft commentators saying that Neal's play has been very uneven this year. I don't know how accurate that is. I don't think Moses should be re-signed, as he simply hasn't played that well. It's Fant's last year on his contract, but he has played well. I love Becton, but with his weight issues, and the fact of how long this injury has lasted, I think the wisest thing for JD to do is to draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round. The thing is however, if either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux fall to the Jets at their first pick, that has to be the pick. Charles Cross of Miss. St. is presently ranked as a top 15 pick, I believe. The Jets could get their Edge rusher with their pick and perhaps get Cross with Seattle's pick. If Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are gone however, I'd certainly rather take Neal than one of the CBs or the S Hamilton of ND.

IMO this situation just demonstrates how many holes the Jets still have. They need a starting Edge, a #1 WR, a RG, at least depth at OT, a topnotch TE, 1-2 safeties, and maybe a LB or 2, and all of those need to be taken in the 1st 3 rounds. Ideally, they could upgrade the C position as well. If Pinnock can develop into a quality FS that would certainly help. He doesn't have that many picks. It would help immensely if JD can sign a starting-caliber TE, a veteran CB who can challenge for a starting position, if not be a quality starter, a SS and some better quality OL depth in FA.

I'd love for the Jets to add Tyler Linderbaum, but sadly that would probably be a luxury that they can't afford. The same goes for Hamilton. Great player and prospect, but imo the Jets cannot take a S in the top 5 when they have needs at Edge and OT. The only way I could get on board with Hamilton as our #1 pick would be if JD sees him as an Ed Reed clone.

Jets79, tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and if this team is still playing at this level in '22? That's my point. If that answer is yes I'm tapping out. No more amateur hours on NFL Sundays. Been waiting long enough to see improvement. I agree with '23 being a competitive year. I think '22 should be the year this team starts to show it knows how to play NFL football. No more excuses..

Br4d likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean we went from 2 wins, to 4 wins. we also lead the league in money on IR. injuries ravaged us or we could have had more wins. I'd be happy with 6-7 wins barring injuries but eventually we have to stop being the most injured team every year. but even if we "regress" back to like 2 wins nothing is changing in the FO and coaching staff. 2023 is about when I'd expect the team to even out. I know your kinda down on the jets and for good reason, but it's not the past. it's a new team. new players, new coaches, new GM etc. we have a good young core, a potential FQB, the best looking offense we've seen in the past 20 years. we just need zach to progress and to build up the talent on defense but it's gonna take another offseason or 2 to get where we need to be to actually compete

7. GasedAndConfused

cleveland won't. baker will get 1 more year. they already optioned him this offseason. pitt will have a new QB. ben is retiring after this season and he looks like he needs to badly. as far as Qbs go

highly likely
    hou
    car
    wash
    den
    pitt

50/50
    det
    ATL
    GB

doubtful but possible
    cleveland
    NYG

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well, we will see won't we. Also, in last week's game, TL looked more pose and played better then ZW and if he had any balls, he would have barreled into the EZ at the end of the game to win it. But hey, you could be right, and [If] UR, I'LL happily eat crow... but until then watch you boy get his ass kicked in by TB D (Todd going to bring it) and then the bills.

#88 SOJAZ, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  9. Cman68

We had one extra game too. 4 wins is still 13 losses. Next year I doubt if we win 4 games looking at that schedule. Its not IF we lose, its HOW we lose. Win 4 games in '22 and look like a well coached professional NFL team and I'm good. If its a '21 redux in '22, I'm out until they figure out how to play football. These guys looked absolutely lost this year. That can't happen again next year.

#89 Cman68, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  10. GasedAndConfused

yes we did but we haven't hit that game yet anyway. 2-14 < 4-11 which is where we are at now.

I do agree it's not just about the number of wins but about the progression of the team as a whole. so far we've found a good solid young core, have a QB that looks like a FQB, our o-line went from worst to average. Players are happy to be here and like the culture. we have a ton of picks and money to spend. we'll have really good players coming back off injury next season too. saleh and company are making stars out of hall and echols like he did in SF for all their DBs. things are looking up which was the whole point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lemme see if I got this straight.

After 5 first round picks, 4 in the top 11. And 4 second round picks, all in the top 11, and 4 third round picks.

Plus more cap room then 95% of the league over 3 seasons.

But 2023 wont be a make or break year and we shouldn't expect a winning record?

:rolleyes:

12. GasedAndConfused

it'll be year 2 for zach, year 2 for saleh and the whole coaching staff, and year 3 for JD but the 1st year was a wash due to gase/GW. The real rebuild started this year

apjbfc likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

WTF? Do you root against Wilson? And I don't think Lawrence looked more poised than Wilson. What game were you watching?

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I totally agree that the jets should not take CB or safety with their top pick, likely in the top 5. That pick should be at edge or OL, given the available talent at the top of the draft. But, I think the jets defense is sooo bad, three of their top four picks (and probably more) should be on defense. Their top 4 picks last year were on offense--time to beef up the defense (and get some guys who can TACKLE).

Jets79, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  15. Cman68

Agreed.. but they have to put all of these advantages into a coherent, effective, moderately successful system and they don't have forever to get it done. The Jets need to be playing solid football in '22. Not this borderline Pop Warner bullshit we saw this year. It doesn't matter if we do have all these high DP's and cash if we don't know how to use it and coach it up. Yeah, I'm putting '22 squarely on the CS and JD. Time for them to show us something other than the promise of better days far down the road. As far as I'm concerned, the future is now..

ouchy and REVISion like this.
  16. Cman68

Lawrence did move the Jags down the field and almost beat us in 1:47. He looked great. I'd like to see Zach engineer such a drive one day soon.

17. GasedAndConfused

i'll buy that. we should be playing solid football but you don't think the offense is? especially at full strength? you don't think zach is starting to look like a legit FQB already? you don't think our offense has put up points and yards enough to be potent in the NFL when our line was healthy and we had moore and davis and carter? You don't think the D minus 7 starters form opening day and having 3 brand new players taking snaps did good yesterday? I have seen progress, if you haven't seen it then i'm not sure what you are looking for. the jax game had disaster written all over it, yet it wound up being one of the best overall games the jets put together. the CS deserves a lot of credit for that with all the replacements and throwaways we had

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you want to see Wilson engineer a failed last minute drive? Jesus, dude.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Also, on the last series, Lawrence threw the ball RIGHT TO Mosely on 2nd down (which he dropped)--should have been a pick 6. Then, after the Mosely rebound was caught, Lawrence foolishly spiked the ball on THIRD down (leaving only one more down). Then, on 4th down, either Lawrence or the jags OC called a play which you could see caused much confusion for the offense leading to an illegal shift on their unsuccessful 4th down play. I don't think that last series on the goal line was a series that Wilson would ever want to copy from Lawrence . :confused:

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Cman68

Well yeah.. Wilson has got to learn how to do it whether its successful or not. The Jets don't do it very often anymore these days. Even though that drive failed, it was well executed. That's the kind of play you want to see from your rookie QB.