2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Xfactor had something on this after the Conklin signing. They looked at what other teams that run 12 personnel do and their conclusion was that the Jets would likely use 3 WRs in most all passing situations and that 2 TE sets would be run closer to 30 percent (number could be off as it is roughly what I recall but 3 wrs was used more than 12) overall. You could probably find the article scrolling bsck two to three weeks on their site.

#1041 Noam, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the team has done to upgrade its scouting talent. No team hits 100% on winning WRs, but we come pretty damn close to hitting 100% on losers.

We have a long list of guys who not only underperformed but were more honestly bona fide busts. There are a ton of great receivers who were not picked at the very top of the draft. We just haven't been part of that (hoping Moore changes that)

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I read an article a few years before JD took over that talked about the quality of the Jets scouts. It said the scouts were really well respected but the scouting department was grossly underfunded compared to most teams. The article said that MAC had lobbied hard with CJ to upgrade the scouting department and had gotten CJ to up the funding. This was 5 years ago before JD. But, to get JD to sign I would imagine JD would have needed a funding commitment. We have seen some evidence of this in JD hiring two two notch high profile lieutenants in Hogan and I am forgetting the other name. I have not read any news if they were able to upgrade the number of scouts but one noticeable thing we saw last year was the size of the CS. They spared no expense on the CS hiring lots of extra assistants. I imagine JD is getting everything he wants.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How often they use 3 WRs on the field at the same time depends several factors, how well/poorly their D is playing, if they're behind - how far and how much time is left on the game, game situations, the team they're playing that week and what their D scheme is, etc. Injuries are a part of the game unfortunately. Last season Moore, Davis, and Berrios were all injured. Mims got a LOT of chances and choked every single one of them. I liked Mims and wanted the Jets to draft him, but I have about given up on him. I know JD supposedly isn't ready to give up on him, but that may be just a public posture to try to get some kind of interest in Mims so they can get something out of him in a trade. Even if JD is sincere, I don't know how long he will give Mims, how patient he will be. Neither Saleh, nor MLF seemed to like Mims last season. They may not be willing to give him much time. If it came down to playing Mims at the risk of Zach's development, I'd say the heck with Mims. Unless he proves in OTAs and TC that he has his head on straight, has learned the offense, can run the routes well, and can catch the ball, he should not see the field again. With Berrios being the returner, and seeing more action on offense, he could easily get banged up earlier in the season.

As far as the 2nd WR, he would be learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, building chemistry with Zach, and I'm certain that if he was ready to play, the Jets would work him in. If he's good enough to take in the 2nd round, he could easily be good enough for him to take snaps away from Davis or Moore and there be little or no dropoff. I remember MLF and Saleh saying when they were hired, that they wanted to be very flexible and versatile and change their player groupings depending upon the game situation and their opponent. That 2nd WR might have skills or an advantage that Moore doesn't offer or that Davis doesn't or that the WR taken in the 1st round doesn't offer. Here's just one example: Say the Jets draft Garrett Wilson at #10. He is very similar in size and style of play to Moore, practically a clone. Davis is taller/bigger, but he doesn't have blazing speed, and I wouldn't call him a player who breaks a lot of tackles and gets a lot of YAC. If the Jets took Burks at #35 (though I doubt he'd be there) he would offer a bigger, stronger target who knows how to use his body, who breaks a lot of tackles and gets lots of YAC. If the Jets took Christian Watson at #35, he'd offer a tall, blazing fast target that neither Davis, Wilson or Moore could provide. Watson's athleticism is off the charts as is his football IQ. Having two WRs like Moore and Watson would give the Jets a dynamic duo for the next 10 years or so. It would enable the Jets to cut Davis if he gets injured again or drops a bunch of passes again this season, or if he stays healthy and plays well, it would give the Jets 3 or 4 dangerous WRs. No D would be able to cover them all.

I realize that JD is most likely not going to take two WRs early. Probably at best, he would take one in the 2nd and one in the 4th. The problem with a developmental WR is he might not be capable of contributing much of anything this season. As we saw last season, that would be a major problem if the injury bug struck our WR corps again this year and the Jets needed him to play, and he wasn't ready or able to contribute yet. That's why I don't think a "developmental" WR is a good idea. They might as well not take one unless he has some amazing physical trait and a sky high ceiling. I think a 2nd WR, if not Watson, should be Wan'Dale Robinson, who could give them something similar to what Deebo Samuel gives the Niners. He would be able to contribute immediately, unless MLF didn't learn his lesson with Mims last season, and refuses to let him see the field until he has learned every WR position. If MLF pulls that crap again, he should be told in no uncertain terms that he is not allowed to do that. That he must provide a set of plays that that WR can run effectively and be able to contribute immediately.

#1044 NCJetsfan, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Borat and Noam like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

That's why I think Watson is so important. He's one of the few who can, and the Jets coached him at the Sr. Bowl. Unless there's something bad there that we don't know about, I think they probably have him very high on their list. I'd take him at #10. That's also why I think the Jets have zero interest in London. He's too damn slow. Williams is that fast, but I'm not certain if the Jets have any interest in him with his injury, and the fact that he makes no pretense of blocking.

Edit: I forgot to mention George PIckens. He is another who has blazing speed and height and toughness, and he blocks.

#1045 NCJetsfan, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Burks is probably on that list as well, I don’t believe Burks will drop below 15 on the first day.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Yes he is. He plays faster than he timed in the 40, has some wiggle, and with his stiff arm and ability to make players miss, he can take it to the house. There's also Pickens. I forgot to mention him and just added him to my post.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a Keelan Cole type. I put 4/5 in case someone considered Berrios a WR4. 1.Davis 2. Moore 3. Draft pick/trade for WR 4. FA WR 5. Berrios 6. Mims 7. Smith. Something like that.

Noam likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

We don't need another Keelen Cole type. We saw how useless he was last year when the other WRs got injured, and then he got injured.

Noam and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I mean what they signed Cole to be. He clearly did not deliver. And yeah, that is not good he and Griffin led the team in snaps.

Really hope the team can stay healthy in 2022. At all positions. It was brutal last year and in recent years in general.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The days of trusting Chris Simms has passed.

Lets look at some of his pre draft rankings last year, starting with RB:
    1. Travis Etienne
    2. Michael Carter
    3. Javian Hawkins
    4. Najee Harris
    5. Javonte Williams
    He isn't just a little off, he is wildly off. Harris was by far the most impressive RB, with Williams a strong 2nd. Whats worse, they are BOTH ranked behind Javian Hawkins who was cut by two teams before the season even started. And they are all ranked behind Carter, who we all love because he's our guy, but there is no way he is better than Harris and Williams. The final results went Harris, Williams, Carter - which wasn't a surprise to most people that weren't Chris SImms.

How about QB
    1. Zach Wilson
    2. Trevor Lawrance
    3. Mac Jones
    4. Kellon Mond
    5. Justin Fields.
    6. Trey Lance

As we all know, the only two rookies who showed up well were Jones and Davis Mills. Zach wasn't first, he was last. Mills was second and not even listed in the top 6, and the Vikings still have Mond listed as their 3rd string. So almost the exact opposite of what he predicted has happened so far.

At CB
    1. Caleb Farley
    2. Tyson Cambell
    3. Patrick Surtain
    4. Aaron Robinson
    5. Paulson Adebo
    Yep, he had Surtain ranked 3rd, when practically the entire country had him ranked 1st. Farley, the guy he ranked 1st, didn't start until mid season, and got hurt after 1 quarter. Tyson Cambell was a decent nickle back, but not in Surtains, or Horn's league. Oh yeah, he didn't even rank Jaycee Horn in the top 7. He was way off base.

In wide receiver he had Chase/Smith as 1 and 2, but then he ranked Dyami Brown as 3rd - which he calls "rounding out the big 3, because they are all interchangable". LOL For those wondering who the heck Brown is, he is a guy that caught 12 balls in 15 games for Washington. Yet he ranked him ahead of Waddle, Moore, Marshall, Toney, St. Brown, etc.

The times for giving Chris Simms predictions much weight has passed. You'd be just as well off doing the opposite of what he says.

SOJAZ and Get me the Damn Ball like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Edit. Answered my own question.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Give us a link to your rankings

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I'd be more interested in his rankings of 2018 class. That info out there?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WR
    Devonta Smith
    DeVonta Smith
    DeVonta Smith
    DeVonta Smith
    Tradeback

:D

FJF, dawinner127, MoWilkBeast and 3 others like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Chris Simms Rankings of the 2018 QB Draft Class: 1.) Lamar Jackson, 2.) Josh Allen, 3.) Baker Mayfield, 4.) Sam Darnold, 5.) Josh Rosen

The reason the fans of Wilson got excited.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting this. I had never seen it before. I didn't start listening to Simms until last year, so the above is not why I got excited about Wilson. I started watching Wilson after Colorado recommended him and then I started getting excited. Simms and others speaking so highly of Wilson only confirmed what I had seen with my own eyes and believed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Chris Simms based his ranking of Wilson on my recommendation. :p

Brook!, Borat, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  19. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

How many WRs do you expect the Jets to carry on their 53 man roster? If the Jets plan to heavily utilize TEs, then they will likely carry 4 TEs (including a new draft pick) - can't be in a situation where if 2 TEs go down you can't execute most of your game plan. That means the Jets will likely carry 5 WRs (remember that they're carrying 3 QBs this year as well). If they keep Mims, then the 5 would be Moore, Davis, Berrios, Mims and their high WR pick. Perhaps they don't keep Mims, though the Jets don't appear ready to give up on him yet. Mims could be good in some offences, but in a west coast offense style heavily dependent on receivers running excellent routes with crisp timing, thus far he has been unimpressive. If they are prepared to give up on Mims, then I would expect a trade before the draft - if that were to happen then a WR slot would open up. A late round developmental WR could be stashed on the practice squad, if necessary.

Relying on any rookie WR is dangerous, especially in a west coast offense requiring excellent route running. Moore, who was an excellent route runner in college, still needed nearly half the season to go by before he became productive enough to merit some serious reps in games.

LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you don't expect a rookie WR to contribute this year then why not wait until next year to get one with experience?

I know people want to go out of their way to give Zach training wheels but patience is important when we are not looking to make a deep playoff run this year.

If we draft the best players and maybe add future picks the holes will be easier to fill.

Jamming draft picks into the spots you feel you have to fill right away is how bad teams continue to stat that way.

ouchy and deviljets7 like this.