2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. It would be great to add a top player like Williams, but sometimes two very good players make a team better than one great player. If we sign two and one gets hurt, at least we still have the other playing. If we only sign one and he gets hurt...well we know how that goes with Lawson.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Very interesting. They clearly liked Tomlinson a whole lot better. It also surprises me the Bears wouldn't even pay that much too with their cap space. Must be something we're missing with this guy.

It also makes me wonder if price tags are starting to come down already. I thought he'd be a lock for a longer deal worth more per year.

BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This would be very interesting. I'm a McGovern fan but if we can upgrade for no or minimal extra money, you have to do it.

Nyjets4eva, barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Initially, I would have gone crazy if we didn't get a WR in round #1, and I was totally against going all D first round, but not now, although I think they probably will have to take Sauce at #4 if they want him. I don't think he makes it to #10. KT may not be there at #4, and even if he is, the Jets may not like him if the rumors are true about him. I think they could still get Jermaine Johnson or David Ojabo at #10, and there are other very good Edge prospects that could still be had at the top of the 2nd if worse comes to worse.

I'm torn about a WR at #10. I really don't like Wilson or Johnson, and am disappointed in Burks' showing at the Combine. At this point, I think I'd be happy waiting until pick #35 and taking Christian Watson if he is still there. They can take a TE at #38, trade down some and then take one, or wait until pick #69 to take a TE if that's where they have them rated. I do think the Jets should take two TEs in this draft. One of Ruckert/Dulcich earlier and either Otton or Woods later.

Nyjets4eva and barfolomew like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I really like Daniels too, and had hopes that we'd sign him. He can play center too, and I know the Jets like versatility. Tomlinson is better, knows the scheme, is a rock, and is on-field demeanor is what we need on the OL. I'm thrilled with the Tomlinson signing and not even disappointed that we didn't sign Daniels.

6. NCJetsfan

The Browns have a much better team, even though I think they downgraded at WR. The only things Carolina has going for it are its WRs and McCafferty. The Saints is where he should go, but I don't see how they could possible fit him under the cap. They'd have to gut their team.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Tretter is 31, but until this past season, has started ever game since 2017. I even wonder if it's a typo on his nfl stats page that he only started and played in 16 games last season. I think they may have gotten in a string of 16s, and forgot about 17 games last season. Even if he missed a game, that's still a rock at C.

K'OB, barfolomew and rickjet like this.
  8. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I believe he missed one with COVID.....

K'OB likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone else think it is funny how much we check back non-stop the first few days of free agency for updates? We are at the edge of our seats, even though the players and team don't suit up for meaningful games again until September. Then we will do it again in April for the draft. There is an urgency to it to get news as fans, but really any time you see the update is fine. I thought the older I got I would care less, but I still check my phone and computer with the same excitement as I did 10-15 years ago. :)

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Marcus Williams to Baltimore, get the badger on the phone stat

11. BroadwayAaron

This is highly annoying. More than fair contract. We need to sign Mathieu.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if we had the same deal on the table. We 100% had to pay more to get him here

13. BroadwayAaron

We definitely had to pay a Jets tax and by the time that was added on, I'm sure the number was higher than what JD would want.

Go get Mathieu. Offer him 12-13 mil per year. Reap the benefits.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This might be the first miss of FA for JD for me.

But, could just be a deal where Williams wanted to go to a playoff contender and Baltimore got close enough to his number.

Either way, can’t get too upset about it. I’d say the activity will pick up for us now that we know where Williams is going. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us end up with Gilmore and a Tier 2 S (Whitehead) to wrap up the major FA moves.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Mac was still here, Williams would be a Jet. He would have paid him $19 million a year, but still. :D

Tough loss for the Jets there. Still other safeties and CB's available though. You can't help if a player doesn't want to sign with you.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Of course and the Jets do it so much that players ask for it

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wait a day or two and the prices go down, makes sense

18. BroadwayAaron

Would be very dumb

19. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I think the plan might've been to secure Marcus Williams and take Thibodeaux or Hutchinson at 4. But with Williams gone, they may try to sign Chandler Jones and take Hamilton at 4