2022 Jets Free Agency/Trade News and Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 12, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Flawed argument, big time. How many teams are in the market for a WR1 that have the money to afford one? That narrows your list WAY down. So no it’s not the entire NFL, and the rumor is Jets, Jags, Dolphins and Browns were all in the market and what do you know… those are four teams that badly need a WR1 and all have the money to accommodate it.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If other teams really wanted/valued him, they could have cut players, re-worked contracts, etc. Many teams don't need a WR, however. Still, the fact that Miami, Jacksonvill and NY all bowed out, showed that they didn't think that Cooper was worth the cost.

I understand being disappointed, just wanting to see some kind of positive action, and upgrading our WR corps, but will be really be that unhappy if JD either signs AROB, trades for Cooks, or signs DJ Chark or Cedric Wilson and then drafts a WR in the 1st or 2nd round?

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You can do this without being dumb with Cap dollars. You can manipulate cap space, sure, but you can also find yourself in cap hell by making moves like this for the sake of having a "true" #1 WR. Cooper Isn't even worth the hype, let alone the money... So if you are going to be irresponsible with Cap dollars, at least do It for a guy that makes sense.

Cooper didn't. No matter how badly some want a true #1 WR on this team. It doesn't have to be Cooper to make that a reality for this team still.

Red Menace, K'OB, LAJet and 6 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I don't know if you're on twitter or not, but that's what's happening on twitter.

IMO it was neither an obvious or clear path to a WR1. IMO and of many others, Cooper is not a #1, but a #2 WR, and his skills declining at that. It doesn't matter what he did 5 years ago in his career. It only matters what he has done recently.

I understand wanting JD to break open the vault and spend. He may not because he was trained by Ozzie and Ozzie rarely, if ever, did that. There could still be big signings this year, or he may wait until next year when the rookies and young players have had a chance to develop, Zach has established himself as a FQB, and when the cap is larger. With all else that he has done well, I'm not about to get upset over his not signing a player I wanted him to sign. I may get disappointed or frustrated, but the bottom line is I trust him. He knows more than I'll ever know in general, and we know little of the specifics as regards what Saleh and the CS want, who they like, what their plan is. I can see him being here until he retires.

#24 NCJetsfan, Mar 12, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  5. BroadwayAaron

declining? Two years ago he set a career high in receptions. Last year he tied a career high jn touchdowns. Just say you don’t like him and didn’t want him, don’t pretend he’s not a legit #1

PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

I will never agree that Cooper isn’t a number one considering he is a perennial 1000 yard guy with multiple years of seven and eight touchdowns.

but I’d be interested in hearing what the plan is to get a true top receiver here. Is it the draft? Because I have no idea how you could have any faith whatsoever considering the 50/50 nature of Douglas’s drafting. 2020 was one of the worst classes I’ve ever seen and 2021 was fantastic. Which are we going to get? At this point it’s obvious that Joe Douglas refuses to adapt and he has no interest in spending big money on big-time players or making splashy trades. So unless he magically changes his mind we are going to have to rely on a dart throw panning out for us for the next decade

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Amari Cooper is far and away the best Jets receiver instantly. And if he does not pan out - Jets would have a team option next year to release him or renegotiate contract. For Browns he is an upgrade over 2 years older Landry, whom they are going to trade now, and Landry would be far and away best WR on the Jets also. Our 5th round pick would get it done, as it is 9 spots above Brown's and has more value than lower Brown's 5th round pick and 6th round exchange they did. So, it is a Jets own 5th round pick (#146) and you have to pay 20 mil in salary with team option for each one of next 2 years. Amari is 27 years old, will be 28 this summer. Just FYI, WR franchise tag is 18.5 mil.

I must say, it's a tough call to pass on that deal. It is too early to say if JD made a right call, but that's one of these very questionable ones. This "down year" he just had is still 865 yards, 8 TDs, and 15 game availability. Allen Robinson, who I suppose now is top FA on the market, is a year older, and is coming off 12 game year, 410 yards, and 1 TD. Maybe JD figures he can get Berrios and Robinson for the price of Cooper? It remains to be seen whether he made a right decision here, but the decision not to give up a 5th round pick for Cooper is definitely something to note as this offseason progresses.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I promise you Robinson is going to get more than one year and $20 mil guaranteed which is essentially Cooper’s current contract. Cooper was the move to make, JD missed out. Just have to hope plan B works out.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He will probably get 2 guaranteed, but it will be less than 20 mil CAP hit this year. Probably Robinson's CAP hit this year + that or Berrios will equal 20 mil, maybe it would 13/7, 14/6 split or so. If that happens, I suppose I could see the point of not giving 5th for Cooper, but this is a bit of a speculation at this point as we may end up with neither of these guys.

10. BroadwayAaron

If Douglas is going to keep operating as if he’s the smartest guy in the room because his mentors (complete outliers) found ways to win while shopping in the bargain bin, then we probably won’t end up with Robinson. DJ Chark is in our future.

11. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

JD, the greatest GM in history [​IMG]

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Didn't this place love the Bell and Mosley signings 2 years ago? If that doesn't show how the shiny toys who hit the open market should have a buyer beware label attached to them, what will? There were reports Douglas really wanted Thuney, so he is willing to spend on someone he covets.

I'm more concerned about the drafting. Will 2022 be more like 2020 or 2021? If it's the former, we might have a new HC and GM by 2024. If it's the latter, we're headed in the right direction and the CS will have more staying power than the previous one.

13. BroadwayAaron

Bell and Mosley played two “non premium” positions and contractually they aren’t even close to Cooper. He can be ditched after this year with 0 cap ramifications. He also plays a premium position. There’s a big difference between these situations.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Gross. Please just keep McGovern.

FJF likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's cool. Agree, disagree, doesn't matter.

I just don't see how a true #1 would ever be passed around the league the way he has been. His production Is okay, not amazing. It's still in the realm of a solid #2 WR over the course of his career. The guy has flaws In his game and I think the Browns downgraded their offense overall with these moves.

As far as a plan.

You act like this was the only option for whatever reason.

Everything Is still on the table.

Trade, FA, draft...

Nothing has changed other than we weren't super interested on taking on an over hyped WR with a massive cap hit on the year.

As far as JD's approval rating.

He had an awesome draft with the current regime. That Is a major plus. We shall see how that trend continues in a couple months.

JD has had really solid trades as well, this point your trying to make, well, doesn't make sense. Who cares if he isn't trading for superstars, as long as he Is being smart and improving the team. That's all that matters.

He's also had splashy trades that only enhanced our odds at becoming better with the Jamal Adams heist.

I get it. You want splashy things to happen so you can feel good about something with this team right now. We've been down that road before though, if didn't pan out well.

I'd rather stick to the plan they have, build through the draft, and hope they get it right.

We can't afford to go back into cap hell after everything this team has been through over the last decade.

Just relax, let's see what happens.

Not getting Amari Cooper wasn't a make or break move for us. I promise.

16. NCJetsfan

A pair of interesting tweets:

17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

#37 Leicester Jet, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jets would be stupid to pay McGovern 10 Mill +, what he's due, time to draft a center and get rid of, at best, an average player. The Jets owe him zero guaranteed money, he should be gone.

BTW, I hate the "Free Agency window", fans over react and go insane when their team doesn't sign a certain player. This Free agency class is very underwhelming.

I've been around a long time and free agency rarely improves your team.

#38 WW85, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    PJ4Ever, FJF, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I don't know anything about Bozeman, but I think the Jets are looking at alternatives for McGovern (as they should be). Bozeman is one alternative. James Daniels is another. I can't see them paying huge money to Jensen although they supposedly love the intensity and ange with which he plays.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I hope we get Jensen. We need to do work on the offensive line.