2022-2023 Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by statjeff22, Nov 1, 2022.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Last time we made it back to the WC spot we proceeded to drop 5 in a row. Thankfully I don’t think that will happen again…I expect only a 4 game losing streak this time.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Varlamov with the performance of the season

JetBlue likes this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Huge game tonight vs the Rangers at UBS. I was hoping for at least 2 out of 4 points vs the Preds on Saturday and tonight vs the Rangers. The Isles did win Saturday but with the Pens getting a loser point last night in an OT loss vs the Leafs, I hope the Isles can at least get a point tonight. Tough game as the Rangers are a very good team. LGI.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it but I think the Rangers have reached the proper balance that it takes to make a deep playoff run.

I don’t believe you will see an undisciplined Ranger team against Islanders.

Rangers are hyper focused right now and are simply treating every opponent in the same manner. I’m hoping isles end up with a point as well.

GREG likes this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I took a look at the Isles remaining schedule, and it goes like this.

Tonight - Rangers
    Thursday - Canadiens
    Saturday - at Rangers
    Next week at Devils and home to the Penguins.

They have to beat the Montreal. While the Isles are nothing special as we know the Canadiens are really bad and it's at UBS. The Devils have had the Isles number this year, but they might be eliminated by the time the Isles play them. The Isles need to win this game. Beating Pittsburgh in regulation at home is must given the standings. It won't be easy as it never is with the Isles, but they are playing well right now. I would keep going with Varlamov as he has been the better goalie. I think they said he is playing tonight vs the Rangers. Anyway, a win tonight would be huge. Even a point tonight would be acceptable. LGI

Red Menace likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Dang... just came in and saw the score....LETS GO

I don't want to find a stream and jinx it!

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Just about the stupidest four minute sequence you'd ever want to see - Varlamov breaks his stick, and no one on the team gives him a stick despite them clearing the puck several times. They have a 2-on-1, and cough it up for no reason. They shoot it off the ice for no reason, leading to another power play, and a 3-0 lead becomes 3-2. Just awful.

8. statjeff22

Varlamov saves their asses after truly pathetic second and third periods.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

You knew after they went up 3-0 the Rangers would make a push. It's never easy with the Isles but they got the win. A huge win it was.

stinkyB, Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  10. stinkyB

Varly's back to being gnarly :D

11. stinkyB

“It’s great, this is the type of hockey you want to be playing at this time of the year,” Horvat said. “They’re a great team, they’re a rival here and I’m a New York Islander. I think I’m supposed to hate them. It’s always fun playing against them. Obviously feels way better when you get the wins.”

Yes, yes you are. ;)

12. Red Menace

They have been this way for quite some time, you know they are not skilled enough to give you a strong and consistent 60 minute game.

I read an article about Trotz the other day and he said that… “when he first got to the Island as their HC he realized the defense was not as bad as people said, but the offense was not as good as people said they were. He had to make a choice to be a defensive or offensive team, he went with defensive scheme because they had better players on defense”.

This comes as no surprise to no one, we have been begging for an influx of skilled players on offense for some time now and Lou has failed to make that happen.

I expect this team to stay at this level until Lou is dismissed and someone with an offense first scheme mindset is hired.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Another big game tonight vs the Canadiens at UBS. I am not worried about a letdown off a big Rangers win given the circumstances of the playoff race and how many games are left. That is not to say the Isles can't screw things up and lose because they most certainly can. They are the better team here and playing at home. Anything less than 2 points would be disappointing.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. statjeff22

More difficult than it should have been, but Islanders get the two points.

15. Red Menace

This power play is horrific, no one puts shot on goal. Dobson is missed already!

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Played well today. Sorokin played very well. Isles didn't win but they got a very valuable point in this 3-2 shootout loss. Take the point and get ready for NJ on Monday.

17. statjeff22

Almost got two points, but I'm still shocked that the Rangers didn't crush them, so I can't be too critical. They're still going nowhere with these special teams, but one more win and they're in.

18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Just an FYI the Isles can clinch a playoff tonight spot if....

[​IMG]

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

We are all big Leafs and Lightning fans tonight. Feel dirty rooting for the Leafs but we have to root for them tonight.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Games of interest tonight besides the Isles vs Devils game.

Predators at Penguins. The Preds looked to be locked into WC 1 so how motivated will they be.

Bruins at Capitals. Boston still has a shot at the President's trophy and home ice in all rounds. They should be motivated to play.

Canadiens at Red Wings. Detroit will probably win this one.

Any combination of 2 points won by the Isles or lost by the Pens/Caps and the Isles clinch 3rd in the Metro. Hopefully they can beat the Devils who have won all 3 games against the Isles this year. LGI