2022-2023 Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by statjeff22, Nov 1, 2022.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Good riddance. This game is easily 3-0 if the Isles were halfway competent

2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Horvat has been the biggest disappointment. 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 playoff games. I think Beauvillier could have done better.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. JetBlue

He certainly couldn’t have been worse.

the Horvat trade and contract should spell the end of Lou’s time here if ownership has any understanding of hockey. The not only have him the authority to make the trade but gave Horvat big money based on Lou’s opinion. Both look to be a mistake.

#303 JetBlue, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Red Menace likes this.
  4. JetBlue

They truly deserved to lose on a bad turnover and a weak shot.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m so done with Lou, terrible contracts, no elite offensive players on this team. The defense and goaltending is more than adequate to win games but they just can’t put anyone away.

#305 Red Menace, Apr 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    JetBlue likes this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I really don't know what they can do going forward. This is a terribly constructed team. I hope Scott Malkin fires Lou. I thank Lou for changing the culture of the organization and bringing respectability back to the Isles. But things have gotten stale with this team and Lou at this point isn't a good GM. Time for a change. If they rebuild or retool or call it whatever then Lou can't be calling the shots anymore. If Lou comes back, then so will Lane and it will be more of the same.

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  7. JetBlue

I don’t think the defense is very good, it’s the system and goaltending that keeps the scores down. That might sound like I’m applauding The system but I’m not at all.

Mayfield should have been traded at the deadline and I’d look to trade Pullock as well because his salary could be put to better use on the offense. Maybe if the Leafs choke away the series Pullock for Nylander could happen.

Either way Lou is the first move to be made IMO.

8. JetBlue

All the flukey goals that went in on Sorokin this series, it’s salt in the wound that Tavares ends the Leafs playoff drought with a flukey goal of his own.

9. Red Menace

All teams have a system so I have to give the system some credit for working and keeping team in games.

The islanders are one of the only teams that had their defense play a big role in scoring this year. I believe they were behind Bruins, Florida and Carolina.

If the Islanders had two elite offensive players, their defense doesn’t get gassed in the defensive zone most of the time.

The defensive players are responsible for getting puck to forwards, it’s not their job to clear it all the time like it’s a pick up hockey game.

Other than Barzal, none of the other forwards put fear in the opposing defense and they squeeze the forwards in neutral zone forcing them to dump the puck because they can’t skate around defensemen.

Casey Czikas is the second fastest forward on isles roster.

The defense in my opinion is not the problem, if the isles did not have this group of guys, they wouldn’t even have made the playoffs.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, the Islanders needed to get rid of old players and let their young players play even if it meant a bad season in the basement, it’s what the majority of teams have been doing in the NHL, the return on investment is growth and development from their young players for a longer period of time.

However because of Lou, they have no young talent and bloated contracts for veteran players heading toward end of career. This team is slated for mediocre to bad seasons for next couple of years.

stinkyB and JetBlue like this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

More than a week and not a word from Lou or Lane. Rumor at islandermania is Lou will step down as GM and Lane is gone.

12. statjeff22

If they're going to replace Lambert, they should get to it, since there's now competition for a new coach less than 20 miles to the west.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Gallant is available, do you think he would be a good fit with Islanders?

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

To me replacing Lambert isn't the big issue. I don't think any coach could win with this roster. The are an average team with an elite goaltender. I hope they move on from Lou. We need a GM to start the rebuild/retool or whatever you want to call it.

JetBlue likes this.
  15. JetBlue

Lambert tried to find offense, it just wasn’t there with this roster. I’m not saying I’m convinced he should stay just that it’s clear the roster is the greater hindrance and who knows how Lambert would do with a roster shakeup. If one of the two has to go Lou should be first.

GREG likes this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I read that Lou's contract is up after this past season, so Ledecky and Malkin don't have to fire him. They could just not renew his contract. I really don't need to hear from Lou or Lane recapping the season with their blah, blah, blah quotes. It's been 10 days and we have heard nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if Ledecky and Malkin are reviewing everything. If Lou was resigned or his contract extended, we probably would have heard something by now.

17. statjeff22

The reason to fire Lambert is if you think some other coach would be better overseeing a teardown and rebuild. I've been saying for years that Lou had to go, so obviously that's the most important move. If the reports are true that his contract is up, and Ledecky/Malkin don't let him go, they're just incompetent morons.

GREG likes this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Agree. Hiring a new GM will be the most important hire for Ledecky and Malkin. Then let the new GM hire the coach he wants. All I know is that Lou should not be allowed to start another rebuild/retool. If they bring back Lou and Lane then expect more of the same except, they probably won't make the playoffs next year.

19. JetBlue

If Lou is given a new contract it better be under the premise that he will give up hope that this is a championship roster and has to rebuild it. I’m not saying I’d be happy he’s being given the opportunity to be the one rebuilding the team versus a new hire but at least it would be indicate ownership understands what needs to happen.

With Sorokin about to get paid, the first step is seeing if you can move Pelech and Pullock’s contracts. We need that cap space for offense so Sorokin is going to have to earn that money while the team finds competent defensemen on smaller deals.