2021 NFL Week 18 - Around the League

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CotcheryFan, Jan 8, 2022.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Thanks for the insightful post.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Staley is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed home with the team. How can any player look him in the eyes after last nights game? He called a TO to get the run defense on the field and still managed to give up a 15 yard run at the end of the game.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I didnt stay up for the end.... but after going for it on 4th on your own 20, I KNEW that would be the 2nd time I'd wake up in the morning to see that they lost because the coach is a jackass.

Losmeister likes this.
  4. Ontherise

Ontherise Member

LOL @ the Dolphins.

They went 19-14 over the past 2 season with JETSam and flotsam at QB. Sign any legit vet QB and they are probably in the playoffs. But, no... definitely fire your coach that has a knack for beating BB.

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I appreciate you trying to uncover any logic to what Staley did, but I just don't see it. Let's say everything you say happened, and there are 30 seconds left after the Raiders miss the field goal. Doing anything other than taking a knee at that point is insane - even the simplest of handoffs could lead to a Joe Picarcik/Herm Edwards situation. Neither team would have the slightest motivation to run a play. That's the reason the Raiders have to not try to kick the field goal - it could be blocked and run back, and they lose - which is why they weren't really trying very hard. I don't believe for a second that Staley called the timeout to get the right defensive personnel in the game - why wouldn't the run defense already be in there? I think he thought that the Raiders would be as reckless as he has been proven to be, and there's nothing to support that. I don't think he's smart at all - I think he's just an arrogant jerk who uses analytics to justify that arrogance, which of course is ultimately what you're saying.

I fully expect, by the way, that no one connected with the teams is going to come right out and say this now, because it would make clear that the fix should have been in at the end, and that conflicts with the whole "play to win the game" bullshit (speaking again of Herm Edwards). Someone on Twitter described the decision as breaking the trust of neither team trying too hard, resulting in a classic Prisoner's Dilemma situation and conclusion, and I think that that is remarkably on target.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Staley’s bad decision with the timeout overshadowed his bad decision earlier to go for it on his own 18 to give the Raiders a free field goal.

Obviously the game shakes out differently if this doesn’t happen, but man I wonder what the final score would’ve been.

Also - the NFL must be pissed. I’m sure they’d much rather have Herbert in the playoffs than the Steelers.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes but Staley's also insane, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did try to run a play after a Raiders miss with 30 seconds left. So the Raiders wouldn't be able to chance attempting the field goal because they know how insane he is (or at least they'd realize it after he called the timeout).

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This only makes sense (not that it has to make sense because Ross is an idiot) if the Dolphins think they're getting Harbaugh.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaand the Ravens show you what they were pre-LJ.... meh

very interested to see howhe comes back...

10. Losmeister

i tend to be aggressive w/ 4th down situations. this guy is just stupid

11. Losmeister

Stafford is more like Favre than I remembered

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@CotcheryFan - you gonna start the WC weekend thread or what?

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

@CotcheryFan .... stoke it up!