2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Come on NC, you don’t hav to call someone stubborn because 33 has his belief or thoughts on what the Jets should do next.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

In addition to Wilson we also need to support our new head coach.

Why would you hire a defensive minded coach and not give him any of the pieces he needs to implement his new system?

Good teams like the Steelers don't get their panties in a bunch about what their team needs right now.

They patiently take the best players year after year and magically those holes seems to disappear.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

terrible how? he didn't allow a sack all year and wasn't injured either. he took time off for "personal reasons" JD could have cut him but didn't JD obviously likes him. he was graded as average by PFF. the personal reasons were likely rehab from a drinking problem which would also hurt his play. he could come back even better in 2022. where as GVR just sucks and won't get better. we shall see though. it's likely AVT starts at LG so lewis and GVR will have to compete for the RG spot

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

That’s a very good point too. I think he is a balance minded coach but he s going to want couple of defensive impact players of his choice to fit his scheme especially in his first year.

James Hasty likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, he’s already got a few. Maye, Q, Lawson, Rankins (if healthy), Mosley are high impact players. That being said I’m fine with JOK at 34.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Seriously? Stubborn isn't necessarily even a negative. It certainly isn't as bad as telling someone their attitude post is "craziness." Get real.

7. GasedAndConfused

Thats not true at all for the steelers. I talk a lot of steelers because I have a good friend that is a steelers fan. Steelers almost always draft need. they traded a 1st for a safety. they reached for several CBs who didn't pan out to the point where they stopped drafting CBs and admit they are bad at it. They are great at drafting WRs which is why they rarely pay them. they draft another one. The just took a RB in the 1st out of need. some players they got lucky like TJ watt falling to them. plus they've had a FQB for the past 15 years which helps a lot. they weren't a great team in the tommy maddox, slash, etc days and weren't a good team when ben got hurt. he's breaking down now and they haven't found a replacement. they drafted rudolph to replace him but that isn't working. they just took a flyer on haskins who was cut 2 years after being a 1st rounder.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. James Hasty

The Steelers bad at drafting CBs?

[​IMG]

9. NCJetsfan

To begin with, I wouldn't have hired Saleh for that very reason. This team has focused on Defense and ignored offense for waaaaaaaaay too long. That's why I wanted an offensive-minded HC (former OC). Secondly, what do you call Lawson, Raskins, Curry and Jarrad Davis? Most of the talent and money spent in FA went to the defense. The draft needs to balanace that out, especially because the offense was already way behind the defense in terms of talent. I've said that I would have no problems taking a CB at #66 (or at #34 if there were no offensive players that JD liked and couldn't swing a trade down) and a WLB in either the 3rd or 4th round. I also was willing to add a SS in the 5th or 6th round. So, it's not like I was totally ignoring Saleh and the D.

We cannot afford to let Wilson fail or ruin him because we focus on Defense over offense in FA and the draft. We cannot keep making the same stupid mistakes. This is an offensive league, and our offense has been an utter and complete embarrassment and disaster for most of the last 10 years. Some years it wasn't even on an NFL level.

When a team has been badly overbalanced with most of the early/high draft picks going to D for 10 years, and what few high draft picks that went to the offense failed, you don't bring the team into balance by having balanced drafts. You have to overcompensate and draft mostly offense and look to sign offensive players in FA. Then when the talent level of the two units is roughly equal, then and only then should you go back to balanced drafts. As a number of posters told me back during the HC search, "It shouldn't matter what side of the ball the HC comes from. He should want what's best for the team." Well what's best for the team is fixing the offense and giving Wilson the best chance to succeed. With this being the first year of the new CS regime, it's the right time to build the offense around Wilson and what he does well and in the scheme. The D doesn't rely on the timing and chemistry nearly as much as the offense. The D is more about each player doing his job one-on-one or in his zone. Defense can be added at any time. It's the offense that is the hardest to put together and get working in sync.

Good teams like the Steelers could help themselves by occasionally focusing on needs. For instance, for years their CBs sucked. There's no telling how many SBs they may have missed because they refused to trade up, trade for, or sign the CBs that could help put them over the top. Besides, was drafting Harris in the 1st round just a coincidence that happened to fit their huge need at RB? No. That was a need pick, as most teams don't look to take RBs in the 1st round. Don't get me wrong. Harris is a great prospect, and will be great for them. I wish that we had been in a position where we could have drafted him, but we weren't/aren't and he wouldn't be an ideal scheme fit for us.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's need or value based approach as far as the Steelers are concerned but what makes them a great franchise is cohesion and the fact that the system on the field is built for the guys they draft.

They create a pipeline of outside linebackers, receivers and offensive lineman or at least they've done that historically. Their slow downfall is going to be the fact that they're ignoring the latter. Villanueva and Feiler walked, Pouncey retired and DeCastro is starting to enter his later years. 3/5 of last year's line is gone and they went out and got a runningback.

It'll be interesting to see what they do the rest of the draft.

#1210 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    James Hasty and mattyd99 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Yes, their CBs sucked for years.

12. GasedAndConfused

that was a long time ago

here is a list of steelers CBs drafted in the top 3 rounds the past 5 years
    layne 3rd 2019
    sutton 3rd 2017
    burns 1st 2016
    davis 2nd 2016
    golson 2nd 2015

that's a lot of high pics on 1 position for it to still be a weakness. only layne and sutton are still on the team. the 3 picked in the top 2 rounds were all busts and layne and sutton aren't looking much better. it's still a need for them and they paid big money to a 30 year old hayden to fill the need who is their CB1 but isn't what he used to be and now in his final year

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

The last Pro Bowl corner they've drafted was Carnell Lake in 1989. And he's listed as a strong safety for most of his career.

14. GasedAndConfused

what makes them good is stability and competent people in the front office. the steelers have only had 3 coaches in the past 50+ years. chuck knoll 1969-1991 then retired. Bill cowher took over in 1992-2006 then retired. now tomlin from 2007 to current and was just extended. they have good ownership and front office and coaching and stability. They are also really good at drafting WRs and front 7 players and o-line. they keep their talent and rarely splurge in free agency.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Yep that's what I was getting at regarding cohesion. The front office drafts to the system. Similar models in New England, Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore and to a lesser extent Seattle even though they've lost their minds in drafting and trading for safeties the past couple years.

16. NCJetsfan

17. GasedAndConfused

all those teams have good coaching and good front offices and stability. hopefully JD and saleh brings that to us

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  18. James Hasty

Perhaps hitting on Woodson made them think drafting CB was the easy way to win.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

1 is decent the other sucks. never said lewis is good, i said he's better then GVR. he's still the weak link for now. GVR and lewis can compete for the RG spot with clark this season unless we take another OG. becton, AVT, mcgovern, and fant are locked in as starters. we can replace RG in next years draft or free agency

20. GasedAndConfused

gettleman doing gettleman things. happens every year. he wants a player, someone jumps him to take that player, then he overdrafts a random player he likes more then everyone else. at least he got great value in the trade back though