2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I initially wanted Davis but I had to back track, his stock has fallen like Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme. He went from high first round pick to back up material.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Javonte Williams is really fuckin tempting though lol

The Jets are in a crazy good spot right now

James Hasty and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

JD pumped for the AVT pick. Love it!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Go Jets.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I really want Jenkins at 34. Build the wall and make Seattle pay for it baby! LFG!

I'm okay with them trading down and acquiring another pick in round 3 however. I don't want them taking anything but OL with this pick. I have a feeling we will get Sherman before the season starts so I'm not dying to draft a corner before r4. Kid from Syracuse is intriguing in R4

6. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

AVT was a really good pick, we need to protect Zach. We cannot afford to do to him what we did to Darnold.
    Now imagine if we drafted Jenkins with our next pick, then what if Cameron Clark panned out at RG from last year, we could have a complete transformation of our line with young promising players who could be with us for a decade. Of course cap issue would raise its ugly head down the line but with the cap set to raise in the coming years we could be able to keep them intact.

Lots of ifs buts and could bes, but it sure would be exciting.

Becton-AVT-McGovern-Clark-Jenkins

7. Jason MacIsaac

Jenkins
    Mayfield
    Davis
    Eichenberg
    Little
    DIckerson
    Cosmi
    Humphrey
    Meinerz
    Little

All available....as much as I want JOK, it makes no sense not to trade down 10-15 spots and recoup a 3rd. Unless they rate Jenkins/JOK as a top 20 pick, then they take quality.

Brook! likes this.
  8. Jason MacIsaac

Clarke's combine numbers and skillset doesn't really fit Lafleur's mold for OLine. He lacks explosiveness and speed.

9. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Okay, thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that

10. Jason MacIsaac

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m glad that he is cause those are some weak claps.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

I was down with either Fields or Wilson....

if you had a preference this is the natural way to feel, really

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I doubt they have to trade down that far. Dallas got a 3rd for moving back 2 spots.

mrjet80 likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I don’t see the Jets trading down at 34.

In a year filled with player-opt outs, no combine, and weird schedules, it’s harder to get a complete evaluation of players in the middle rounds. Take the first round talent that falls to 34.

Come on down Teven Jenkins.

James Hasty, dawinner127 and Brook! like this.
  15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

You're like putting words in my mouth. I never said to put D over making sure that Wilson succeeds. And now you're telling me I don't understand.

Did you happen to catch the Bill Polian interview on Colin Cowherd yesterday? Listen to what he says about offensive lineman.

I nailed the JaMarr Chase to the Bengals and Waddle to the Dolphins when 99.9% here thought both were definitely taking Sewell if he fell to them.

Actually, I nailed a lot of the first round including the trade up at 23 which I was the first to talk about on this board. Initially, I said to trade up to take OL but then I realized there is still good in the 2nd round, not premier, although Jenkins is now there, so that throws the top 5 elite OL out the window with Leatherballs going in round 1. So I switched to a unique talent that perfectly fits our scheme in Koromoah because there is nobody like him in this draft. Onto Phillips. If he somehow fell to 23 you take him since you can't pass that talent up if the top 5 OL are gone.

I also never envisioned we would be in a position to get AVT unless we went up to the mid-first round. I had him rated much higher than Jenkins who I thought would go in the 19-23 range. You had Jenkins rated higher because you thought JD was in love with him when actually he was in love with the guy thought much less of.

So actually JD thought as I did. With 23 you go up and grab the guy you want. 34 you trade back to recoup some of the picks. Everyone killed me when I first brought up the idea of trading up from 23 to take one of the top 5 OL, including YOU YOU YOU. But then later on you start a thread on trading up for Jenkins. Jeez, talk about flip-flops. Who knows where you'll be tomorrow?

But I have ALWAYS said as you know, I view this as a 2 year draft since we have the 2 first and 2 seconds next year. So whatever we don't fill this year, we can get next. Why would you even tell me we can't fill all our holes in this draft when you knew I've been saying that all along! I have also said repeatedly that I trust JD.

Your beef really isn't with me because we both love Wilson & want him protected. We both trust JD's plan. Maybe we disagree on draft ratings, but we're not far off there either.

So really you have more beefs with the people ragging on Wilson on this site than you do with me. Aim your craziness towards them! :p

dawinner127 likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m with you here. 100% in favor of a short trade down, especially if Jax takes him. If we get back a third it will be sweet.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great find. Thank you. It’s night and day.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yep, or trade down some for a nice return. This second pick is golden right now. I can’t imagine Jax not going OL though ahead of us.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And people are still unhappy. it really is quite stunning tbh.

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I'm not putting words in your mouth. When you're wanting to draft a DE or a LB or CB over offensive talent, you're putting D over making sure that Wilson succeeds. It's clear that you don't understand, because you stubbornly keep wanting to take D instead of building around Wilson. You're thinking overall team or taking the best talent. That is NOT JD's draft philosophy. He seeks value, but above all he looks for scheme fit and character traits. Of course he wants the best players he can get, but only if they love football and fit our scheme.

It's totally irrelevant that you "nailed" who would be taken by what team. That has nothing to do with whom the Jets should take and how they should build their roster.

I had Jenkins rated higher because he looks like a Becton clone, and as a rule, I don't like USC players. They're generally soft and disappoint or bust in the NFL.How long has it been since USC was a top ten team and really good? The reason I thought that JD loved Jenkins is because I read several times over a period of the last month that the Jets were in love with Jenkins and had him rated as the top OL on their wish list, but I had acknowledged that it might have just been a rumor.

You can easily pass on that talent when the offense still needs plenty of help. That's where you don't get it. You're blind to it. You're so locked into BPA and talent, and rigid in your thinking, saying that you can't pass up that talent that you can't grasp the different draft philosophy of building around your rookie QB and making that your #1 priority or you're willing to forsake building around the QB. Yes, it's a 2-year building process, and all those D positions you want to fill and that need to be filled, can be filled next year. The ONLY thing that matters to me is protecting Zach and making sure that he develops and succeeds. I don't give a damn about the defense or overall team right now.

It's not that we disagree on draft ratings. We both say we want the same things, but when push comes to shove, you're willing to abandon fixing the OL and building around Zach, and ready to draft D. I'm not. My philosophy in this draft is to build around Zach no matter what. Trade up, trade down, stay put, whatever it takes to fill the holes on offense. You start out with the philosophy of building around Zach, but the first great defensive prospect comes along and you're ready to forget all about building around Zach and draft that defensive prospect. That's the difference between us.

For what it's worth, you have done a great job nailing who teams would draft and nailing the trade up by the Jets. Kudos to you. I'd much rather you stick to the philosophy of building around Zach, however, than BPA regardless of position or need.