2021 Final Rookie QB finishes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 10, 2022.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. What did he say that was incorrect?

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I know I'm repeating myself, but Zach Wilson has a top level skillset for QB. That fact is often referred to as a "high ceiling". On the other hand, he played against weak competition in college and thus had a large adjustment to make in the NFL. It's clear from the 2nd half of the season that he is adjusting, but needs to make more progress. There are many positives that point to a successful development into NFL success and even top 10 QB status. First, he has the support of the organization in obtaining players that will improve the offense and giving him coaching resources. Second, he's smart and driven.

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and cval like this.
  3. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya Member

I think the Bills managed it with Josh Allen. The Bills had no wide receivers, no offensive line, no marquee RB, and a rookie coach and GM. You're larger point is still valid though. It's tough for any rookie QB to come into the NFL and succeed, harder still if he needs to carry the team around him. If a QB does step into a deep rebuild the first thing the GM needs to address is the O-Line. If the QB is running for his life and getting hammered all game it's tough for them to develop. Give me two big guys on the line instead of that flashy WR any day. Too many teams take the opposite tack and get "weapons" for their new QB. Weapons don't matter if he's on his back and running scared all season.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think that is a reasonable take. I was actually warned by a moderator and asked not to respond to people who want to criticize Wilson (hard to believe but it's the truth.) So I'm glad others are able to present an opposing view without fear of repercussion.

dmw and Noam like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

wow thanks for pulling that. We can make all the excuses about how our OL sucked and our receivers sucked and too many drops and on and on, but any way you slice it, those are some BRUTAL numbers. Some of this is definitely on him…too many throws behind receivers or in the dirt in front of open guys or over receivers heads. And plenty of those were not under pressure.

I don’t agree with the blind optimism and stuff…I think he needs to take a HUGE step next year…hopefully we can take away a bunch of the excuses with a solid offseason…I have some hope for him but to me it’s not a slam dunk…

Ralebird likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're barking up the wrong tree and confusing yourself. I don't know why you keep telling me that Douglas is not getting fired - I never said he was, or should be. Sell that to someone else.

BTW, I never said any coach should be fired now either. Get yourself a chew toy.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You have a lot of long posts constantly repeating yourself and somehow saying nothing.

8. Ralebird

Apparently nothing that you're able to comprehend, or they wouldn't need to be repeated at all. I like to give the slow learners some breaks; you're about out.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Are you still talking? Please put me on ignore.

10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

While Jones was the best rookie QB, Mills was not only the most surprised QB but imo the best rookie QB going to next season.

Not only was he compared to Luck but known for throwing darts on short passes and fluid delivery.
    Kudos to Yahoo’s Jeff Einsberg who thought he would be sleeper of the QB class.

ouchy likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

To me stats are almost irrelevant for rookie QBs. In a rookie season you have to understand the circumstances (context) and he has to pass the eye test and grow. Turnovers can be an indicator but again in context. If you limit turnovers you can be a starting QB in the league. Zach improved on this as the season went on and does not have a fumbling issue ala Danny dimes..

You really get a better picture of a QB in year 2. Again in context, will he have the same OC, does have weapons and does he have a decent online and running game.

Most QBs do not reach their potential until year 4.

#31 cval, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  12. Ralebird

I have already put you on "ignorant."

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We traded for a quality guard instead of starting Van Rotten.

I could be wrong but I think that is the only reason Zach played better.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You have shown you have zero football knowledge on your post and you call me ignorant. Can you you show some football knowledge in one post. That should not be to hard.

15. Ralebird

If you were not ignorant you would have stopped saying I called for anyone to get fired the first time I brought it to your attention that you were wrong. Instead, you have continued to repeat your nonsense without any idea what the hell you're saying and no attempt, or intent to support your bogus claims. That is just plain ignorant! As is your new, unfounded, unsupported claim here. What's the point?

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I never mentioned that you personally wanted anyone fired.

17. Ralebird

That's simply a lie. In this and other threads you have directed comments at me claiming he is not going to be fired, as if I had claimed he was. At least try to display a bit of honesty rather than creating your own scenarios for the words of others.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is not true. Even Josh Allen, who's the epitome of a late bloomer, reached his potential in year 3.

REVISion likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Do you think caustic negativity is the antidote to being overstuffed wit optimism?

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know it's very early in Zack Wilson's career and there's hope for the future but after his first season it would appear Joe Douglas walked away from a HUGE trade down offer that would have propelled the Jets into the drafts for years to come for the privilege of swapping out one bad QB for another bad QB.

As fans we're left with no choice but to pray ZW has monster gains in the upcoming seasons.

ouchy and Acad23 like this.