2021 Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Jul 31, 2020.

1. The downfall of everyone of those QBs among other things was deteriorated surrounding cast.KOB & Namath ended up w lackluster pass pro up front while Vinny & esp Pennington fell victim to this modern devauation of skill weve seen under the Johnsons.

Course all 4 had durability issues as well.

#61 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

With the recent news regarding our WR's, the position almost has to be addressed on day 1.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. I wouldnt rule out a TE either.Its a loaded class,Sam has proven to love throwing to TEs & while Griffin is a fan favorite hes upgradable while being ideal as a 3rd stringer/role player

4. CotcheryFan

WR and RB are my top priorities given how thin we are with the former and the latter features an aging player(in RB years) who looked like he lost a step last year even when factoring in the crappy OL he was running behind.

If we go TE, here's the guy I want.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If I was the Jets and I could flip a 3rd and a conditional mid round pick next year for Yannick, I'd have no problem going WR round one.

If you told me, you could pick up Jamar Chase and Alex Leatherwood (or a similarly ranked OL) in the 1st, and take a RB or CB in the 2nd and 3rd, I'd call that one of the biggest draft wins for the Jets.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, Edge needs to be a priority since it has been ignored for 20+ years. We won't be able to beat anyone if the QB has enough time to run a marathon back there. WR would have to be our other priority. Sam needs weapons. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they overkill those positions in the draft

7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Honestly, the entire roster is rather devoid of talent--not really position specific. Could argue that investing in Crowder and drafting Mims is a decent starting point for a WR corps. Edge is definitely needed but can't help but think we should be focusing on the offensive line in this draft and thinking more second round or FA for a WR.

Granted I'm not very aware of what the talent pool looks like by position in 2021 at this point.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Let’s assume we beat the Broncos, maybe win a game or two and Sam looks ok. I still think he is only doing what’s in front of him, which is throwing to 5 foot 9 wr Crowder and Berrios. Here is how I would draft.

Preference, with no good edge Free Agents, we need to address it.

Round 1, trade back into middle of round and pick up a second. First pick would be BPA as the WR that will fall will be smaller or injury prone. I would draft Alex Leatherwood. OT/OG Bama. god forbid Big Ticket is hurt, he can slide over. And he would solidify our left side of the line for years. Interior should be ready to go if Cam Clark can perform at RG.

Round 1-Justyn Ross. WR Clemson. Injury to neck may cause him to fall to where Seattle is. Could be a great value pick. If he’s not around, I hope we go after Waddle or Moore and try to pair them up with Juju or Allen Robinson in FA. But Ross and Mims with a slot FA should be a nice start.

Round 2: Asante Samuel Jr. CB FSU. Guy is the real deal and is clicking this year.

Round 2: Xavier Thomas. Edge Clemson. As a Clemson alum, he’s the real deal. Was disappointing early in career. From all accounts was ready to break out this year but has COVID complications. May get a good glimpse of him by year end to decide.

Round 3: Patrick Jones. Edge Pitt. It’s time to have a solid rotation of edge rushers with Thomas and Jordan Jenkins.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

If Sam isn't replaced, here's my plan:

Round 1(Our Pick) - JaMarr Chase WR

Round 1(Sea Pick) - Wyatt Davis OG

Round 2 - Kenny Gainwell RB

Round 3 - Josh Jobe CB

We'd give Sam a potential #1 WR he can grow with, fortify the OL, get a RB who can replace Bell, and a CB prospect with upside. I know we have a number of young CB's, but none has really proven himself to the point where he should be a starter, although Austin has done a good job in the early going this year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Dont disagree with this at all. Just think we need SO much help. Trading from top 3 to say 12 can help a ton. Chase is the real deal and would be very pleased with this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

I'd find it difficult to pass on an elite skill position prospect. Not everything will be fixed by 2021, but if the offense is in good shape, I'll take a less than ideal situation at edge than can be addressed in 2022. I understand that might not be a popular stance here because the team hasn't had an above average edge rusher for over a decade, but making sure we can score points should be the top priority IMO. Plus, we don't know what we have with Zuniga.

Pepsiguy5 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It will depend on what positions are the deepest in the draft and who is available when we select. I can tell you this, it’s pretty unlikely that the Jets prioritize RT with Becton looking so good and Fant panning our alright so far.

I wouldn’t mind improving the interior offensive line, but I’m praying that Edge and CB are the best players available in round 1 when we select.

The current FA class for WR boasts:

-Kenny Golladay
    -Allen Robinson
    -AJ Green
    -Larry Fitzgerald
    -Chris Godwin
    -Will Fuller
    -TY Hilton
    -Dede Westbrook
    -Sammy Watkins
    -Marvin Jones
    -John Ross
    -Demarcus Robinson
    -Kenny Stills
    -Kendrick Bourne
    -Curtis Samuel
    -Nelson Agholor
    -Ju Ju Smith-Schuster

Not everyone here is great, and some will end up not being available, but there will also be cap cuts. Douglas can revamp the WR position this offseason just like he did with OL last year.

13. CotcheryFan

Ideally, there's at least one FA signing and one draft pick used on the position by the end of day 2. The better WR's are usually tagged or extended by the time FA comes, but with the cap going down, who knows what might unfold next offseason.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

Yes, we need an edge and have for a long time, but even more, we need Sam to develop into a FQB. We won't be able to beat anyone with the top Edge in the NFL, if we don't have a decent QB. No on one this site wants an elite Edge more than I do, but it absolutely should NOT be the #1 priority going into the 2021 offseason. Surrounding Sam with weapons, getting him solid coaching, and helping him develop is the only thing that matters. Nothing else should even be on the radar screen until that has been accomplished.

If Sam has not proven that he can play consistently or has shown that he is not the answer at QB by the end of this season, then the Jets have to hope that they're in position to draft Lawrence or can trade up to get him. If we still have hope for Sam, then adding an elite WR prospect like JaMarr Chase should be the #1 priority. If they can't get him, then they need to get Jaylon Waddle or the next best WR prospect. If the Jets can't get Chase, and the ratings are such that the next best WR is rated considerably lower in the 1st round, then hopefully the Jets can trade down, add more picks and then take that WR. If that can't happen, then the 2nd best option would be either to take Penei Sewell with our #1 pick and then take a WR with Seattle's #1 pick, or take an elite TE prospect and the 2nd best WR prospect with our two 1st round picks.

I disagree regarding drafting OL with our #1 picks. A team doesn't need an OL comprised of 1st round picks. The reality is that they wouldn't be able to pay them all a second contract, and it would leave no money left for playmaking/skill positions like Edge, WR and QB if they did. I wouldn't have a problem with taking Penei Sewell if they can't get Chase or an elite TE prospect, but the rest of the OL would need to be filled out with 2nd-4th round picks (or lower).

The Jets absolutely need to come out of FA and the 2021 draft with a #1 WR prospect, a new starting RB, an excellent TE prospect, a starting OG to replace Van Roten, a second WR,, and maybe a second OG. If they can also add a decent Edge and/or CB propect, it will be gravy. But the offense should again get the bulk of the picks and ALL of the top picks. I'd rather sign a 2nd tier FA Edge and CB than I would draft them in 2021. IMO that draft should be dedicated to insuring that Sam thrives/succeeds. If not, we'll perhaps have a team that can win enough games to be mediocre (7-9 or 8-8) but will never be in position to get an elite QB prospect. QB HAS to come first, even over edge or CB, and to go along with QB has to be a stud receiving talent that Sam can always depend upon.

#74 NCJetsfan, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Leicester Jet and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I know you posted this post in August, before all of our WR woes, so understand, but imo there's no "almost" to it. It is an absolute necessity. If Douglas doesn't take a WR with one of our two 1st round picks, I want his head on a pike at Jets HQs at One Jets Drive.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The only way I'm content no addressing WR on day one is if they go get Allen Robinson or JuJu in FA.

b.reyes16 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Sorry, no offense meant, but I think that would not be a good draft. IMO your priorities are wrong, and you're taking a WR with a neck injury and an Edge that's been a disappointment with two of our top 4 picks. If Sam doesn't succeed, we'll be starting over again, but with an improved roster via FA and the draft, more than likely won't be drafting high enough in successive years to have a chance at getting an elite QB prospect without trading 3 or 4 - #1 draft picks. IMO the draft has to be such that it all but guarantees that Sam will succeed or if he doesn't, whomever the next Jets' QB is will have a great chance to succeed.

Taking an OL who may project to OG with our #1 pick is nuts. I'd rather it be used on an Edge than on Leatherwood. I wouldn't have a problem with trading down, but if they do then the pick has to be a WR like Jaylon Waddle or whomever is a legit #1 WR prospect and ranked that highly or an elite TE prospect like the kid from Penn St. I don't think that top WR will be Justyn Ross.

As much as we need a #1 CB, that should be taken care of in FA, as should Edge. IMO unless we do trade down from our #1 pick and add an additional 2nd round pick or multiple picks in the first 3 rounds, every single draft pick through the 5th round should be used on offense.

If we're not taking a QB with our #1 pick, then our draft should look something like this:

1a - WR
    1b - TE
    2 - RB
    3a - WR
    3b - OT
    4 - OG
    5 - OG

Edge is a huge need and has been for almost 20 years. If we are able to add an Edge in FA, it will undoubtedly be a 2nd tier Edge. I can live with that for another year and focus on getting the edge in the 2022 draft. At most, I would accept using the 1b pick on an Edge, following a successful FA in which the Jets sign a quality veteran WR and starting OG, then trade down 5-10 spots in the draft, adding 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, then taking something like the following:

1a - TE or WR
    1b - Edge
    2a - WR or TE
    2b - RB
    3a - CB
    3b - RT
    4a - OG/C
    4b - WR
    5 - OG

#77 NCJetsfan, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  18. NCJetsfan

One of those scenarios is what I want, but I could live with a trade down and taking an elite TE and Edge on day one and two WRs on day two to go with a 2nd tier WR they signed in FA.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Bud Dupree is someone I would keep my eye on. Also Yannick still needs to sign with Minny if I'm not mistaken.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

That would be ideal imo, but I'll be shocked if either makes it to FA. Even if one or both do, I'd be even more shocked if Douglas signed either. I just don't think he's the type that will spend big on one player in FA, even for a position of huge need like Edge.