2020 Yankees season thread.

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by typeOnegative13NY, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

There was one scene that capsulized the entire problem. The TV cameras showed Cashman in a luxury box. Instead of watching the game, he was staring at his computer screen. 'Nuff said. He relies very heavily on analytics, but I don't think he understands the limitations of those numbers. His teams often look unstoppable in the regular season, but that's because they're facing lousy pitching. How man games did they play this year against the Red Sox and Orioles? In the post-season, the pitching is much, much better, and the Yankees boom-of-bust sluggers can't cope with the better pitching. He doesn't realize that post-season baseball is different than regular season baseball, and when it comes to the post-season, you can almost disregard the regular-season numbers. Cashman also thinks the numbers his nerds feed him make him smarter than everyone else. Look at the Game 2 debacle.

What will tell the tale is what he does with LaMahieu and Sanchez. We know he loves sluggers that uppercut and hit into the shift, and he doesn't mind his guys striking out all the time. LaMahieu is an all-round hitter, and not an all-or-nothing slugger. Over the last two years, he's been the team's most valuable player. Let's see if Cashman is willing to pay what it takes to re-sign him. Other teams will want him, so the price will be high. As for Sanchez, it should be pretty clear that he's not the answer. Lousy defense and a BA below the Mendoza line. But he has a lot of power, which is what Cashman values above everything else. If LaMahieu walks and Sanchez stays, the Yankees are screwed.

Cashman gets a complete pass from the local media. If anyone writes anything critical, he cuts them off. Since these guys need access, they trade flattery for access. He's been GM since 1998. The team won rings in 1998-2000, but that was with the team his predecessors built. Once he was on his own, he has won one title since then (2009) despite the millions of dollars he's been allowed to spend.

#141 Since1969, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post. I agree 100% although I can't imagine any team would want to sign Sanchez over LaMahieu. The Yankees will do what they have to to keep him. Sanchez, on the other hand, should be off the roster. If you have lost that much trust in him that he barely plays in the ALDS, that is all that needs to be said. He was terrible this year. Some team will sign him and maybe he needs a fresh start, because he has been awful and unworthy of a starting role. If you can't hit and you also can't catch, that is bad news.

I thought the Yankees were built to not only win the World Series this year, but steam roll all the way there. Now? I am wondering how close they are even with Cole.... Unfortunate.

Since1969 likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Swing for the fences or bust. Most often will be bust.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Lotsa shitty rap music in the greater Tampa area apparently

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

That song was 12 years ago and St. Pete fans loved our TB Rays song. However music has become a big thing for our city over the years.

The sound of ST PETE RIGHT HERE seen this kid grow up his father great friend of mine so proud of this kid only 20 years old!

7. Dierking

kids today are all on dope

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Goodbye Brett Garbage-pail

9. Dierking

He’ll be back. Watch.

10. matt robinson 17

They drove s stake thru his heart this time!

11. Dierking

They were never gonna pick up a ten million option. They’ll pay him a couple of million to be the fourth outfielder or defensive replacement.

12. matt robinson 17

Have some fuckin humility retire you stink! You stole enough money from the Yanks already

joe likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

Sign Charlie Morton

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's the problem with Yankee fans and Yankees as a Franchise as of late; so quick to buy buy buy instead of scout and develop and then scout and develop some more.

You guys don't want Charlie Morton. The best of Charlie has already came and will quickly be gone; because he's now turning 37 in a couple of days with already 1,400+ innings pitched after 13 years of MLB baseball and this past 2020 season he hit the DL during the regular season due to inflammation of his right shoulder (soon to be 37).

He had a nice clutch postseason for us but during the regular season his ERA skyrocketed to 4.74 (up from his previous 3 years of low 3.0's ERA) and was absolutely rocked and destroyed during the WS by LAD with a 10+ ERA against them and disappointed us Rays fan deeply with his WS outing.

You guys can have him but don't go crying as he begins to melt down with ERA's of over 5-6 along with stints on the DL as he continues to get closer and closer to 40 years of age.

I swear. I wish MLB had a salary cap because it's just mind boggling to me how two of the LAD players were worth more than my Rays entire roster and it's disgusting to me how Yankees fans beg for every big name player that hits the market before turning on them for not living up to $100,000,000 contract hype. Baseball would be a much better game if teams like NYY and LAD had to build up their farm systems like the Rays rather than trying to field the most expensive team $$$$ can buy. No salary cap waters down the league.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Brett Gardner in 2021? .

The guy's at best a ballsy, dugout roof-bashing .235 pitbull..but whatever.....your Yankee/Crankee opinion's I respect and take to heart...fwiw.....

16. matt robinson 17

Joe, he's been cooked for 5 years he hits .170 till the last 3 weeks of the season and gets hot and gets his average to .200 then in the playoffs he is an automatic out , moron Boone bats him 3rd or 5th sometimes , time for him to go

17. matt robinson 17

Better than anything we have besides Cole , he would slot in as our #2 starter, Tanaka, Montgomery both stink, Paxson is invisible and always hurt, I'd grab him

18. Dierking

Your not wrong entirely here, but you’re not right either.

First, the luxury tax is at least a soft cap. Nothing is stopping the Rays from spending right up to it if they chose. That they don’t have the money to do so is something that should’ve been considered when the decision to place franchises in ridiculous places like southern FLA was made to begin with.

Second, the Yankees have one of the best farm systems today, they’re churning out major league talent every year. A lot of it has to do with the club’s financial resources, sure, but there’s a lot of home grown talent.

Finally, adding teams like the Rays is what’s watered down MLB. You have a franchise that’s playing great ball, is always in the hunt and still nobody goes to their games. Relocate that franchise to a city that can support them and they’ll be able to spend more.