2020 NY Jets Purge

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So 2020 is year one of a rebuild?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

2 years ago Macc solved our Safety positions for the next decade.

If JoeD pulls something similar and spends our top draft capital (say our top 2 or 3 picks) solving the next position, what position would you like to see solved in 2020?

O-line
    DBs
    WRs

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

4. GasedAndConfused

o-line. remember when we drafted brick and mangold in the 1st in one draft? they anchored one of the bets o-lines in football for nearly a decade. it was a great deaft

mrjet80 and Footballgod214 like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I could learn to love that....JoeD uses our top 3 draft picks across our O-Line, starting with LT. That would set us up for the next 10, like DBrick and Mangold did. That would also set Sam up for the next decade too. And whatever WRs we have would look a lot better having 3-5 seconds to run routes every play.

Then in 2021 we could use our top 3 picks revamping our backfield, starting with a young Revis!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If it is, we're in big trouble.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Great! Then it will only take about 10 years to upgrade all the positions! :rolleyes:

KurtTheJetsFan and JetsNation06 like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OL no doubt about it. With a very good OL Darnold should stay upright, healthy and have time to find open receivers. That should also enable them to score more and to have more long, sustained drives and keep opposing offenses off the field.

#69 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No no there’s a lot of truth in what football god is saying at least in regards to the OL. I think the Jets have to attack that position next. Take the two best OL with their highest picks. Let’s say 2006 again a LT and a C. That right there will upgrade this offense. Give Darnold another 2 seconds or for his reads and to make a decision. It will be a world of difference.

I realize there are a lot of needs on defense but let’s settle this OL once and for all. The Jets won’t have a choice anyway. Beechum will be a 31 year old FA and there will be a gaping hole at center also.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. O-line is most important BUT.. no matter how talented the prospects are they need time to develop.Putting Same behind 2-3 rookie OL all at once will not end well.

Fixing the OL will be a multi year process w a healthy mix of the draft & FA.Cohesion & experience are vital..drastic change up front w too much inexperience is a disaster waiting to happen.

Id expect one of our top 3 picks to be a OT & perhaps making a run at La’el Collins in FA.

So to answer the question as its presented ill say WR.Sam needs reliable consistent targets.Gase needs WRs who can separate for his scheme; outside of Crowder,Herndon & DT..we are extremely thin in this area.If WRs can Separate & Sam gets better at IDing coverages,we can combat some of the OL struggles w a quick passing attack

12. GasedAndConfused

it's a very good o-line draft too. I expect our 1st round pick to be our starting LT in 2020 and i'm hoping edoga can play RT and we can find a C in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

13. GasedAndConfused

so was les snead and he's considered one of the best. if les snead was fired after year 4 the rams wouldn't have made a SB last year. macs record is no worse then snead over the years they drafted in the same drafts

14. CotcheryFan

I'd love to land Jeudy, but I also like Higgins. Lamb isn't a bad prospect either.

I agree that the OL can't have too many young players on it at once, but we need at least a C and an OT in FA and the draft. Top OL usually get extended by the team that drafted them, so signing one won't be easy.

mrjet80 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Agree. Quinnen is going to be good. Maybe very good at times. But he's not an earth mover. He will never be Aaron Donald. And at a position where we already were pretty decent, we needed to make sure we got assets to shore up some major holes (specifically CB and also O-Line)

Yet we decided to go build ourselves a mega talented D line...but where was that D-line when we needed some big sacks, some big stops against Buffalo? Q. Williams gets hurt, Leonard Williams as usual is invisible.

mrjet80 likes this.
  16. mrjet80

Well that's what I would think as a fan (LT) but something else always seems to happen. As of now I would say the top four positions of need are OL, CB, EDGE, and WR. I doubt Douglas can fix this in one offseason but he can tackle at least two if not three of them. Figure OL heavy ( 2 of the Jets top 5 picks ), a CB would have to make sense at some point considering the Jets could probably use two not just one of those. WR is a depth issue although FA could come into play here. The problem is the pass rush - they don't hit FA often and when they do it's probably more than Douglas wants to spend on one position or player. He said during his introductory press conference he likes to build the trenches from within ( meaning the draft ) or something to that effect.

Looking at the present state of the team it appears Mac by virtue of his FA spending - aside from trying to create fan excitement and save his job - also seemed to think this team was closer to contention than it is in reality. I don't see the Jets ready to contend for a championship until 2021 which is about how long it took the Eagles considering how bad they were in 2015.

#76 mrjet80, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  17. CotcheryFan

I'd argue that we need a game changing WR almost as much as we need to upgrade the OL. It's a depth and talent issue IMO. The WR class next year is supposed to be very good.

18. mrjet80

Yes they do need a game changing WR. Hope fully they find one sooner than later.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

OL and then CB

20. Getting the interior OL situated is almost more important than OT for Sam going forward. He can elude those outside rushes by pulling the ball down & using his feet.

But he absolutely needs a good initial anchor against interior DL surges bc him getting a good base under him w his feet sets up every other aspect of his game. When he’s shaking off A gap rushes right in his face right off the snap he simply cant have success w his playing style.

The Saints went out of their way to find specific Skillsets for OL to protect Brees.Guys w strong anchor,heavy hands & Lateral agility to give Brees a clean wjndshield given his height.

Steelers needed to find big long OL who are hard to get around,w good balance & motors to stay on their feet & block for extended plays via big Ben

I think the Jets need to take a similar approach & frankly combine what the steelers & saints were both looking for bc coincidentally Those ae the aapects that Sam needs.Clean pocket off the snap & guys who can stay on their feet & block on extended plays

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.