2020 NY Jets Purge

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with you on your disagreement with Adam. Yes, every position plays its part, but this wasn't about "sexier" positions. Actually, that's what Mac did (sign players for the sexier positions of RB and signed a big-name ILB.

I hear what you're saying, but going into the offseason, everyone knew that the Jets had huge, glaring needs at CB and OL. He pretty much just gave those needs lip service. He traded for Osemele, which imo was a great move. To his credit, he added Compton to help the depth, but that was the extent of his moves to upgrade the OL. He was content to go with Harrison at C. There were opportunities to upgrade C, RG and RT and he ignored them. There was nothing he could do about the #1 CB spot since he'd been foolish enough to give Johnson such a ridiculous contract, but there were at least 5-6 quality CBs on the FA market that Mac could have signed to pair with Johnson, and he punted, signing only Poole. Poole wasn't even the best slot CB available. Mac went the cheap, easy route in those areas. IMO those two areas are where Mac should have spent most of his FA $s. He probably still could have added either Mosley or Bell, just not both. He could have still added Montgomery and Mark Ingram rather than Bell, and along with Powell, we'd still have a pretty good RB corps.

I still believe that Mac could have traded down in the draft and added additional picks, and drafted a C and an edge rusher. Mac had no clue how to build a team or to evaluate talent outside of the consensus "can't miss" players in the top 5-10. He screwed this team and the fanbase.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Yeah those go down as the Misc depth guys. We can keep compton and lewis pretty cheap and harrison will still be under contract.
    and yeah we could wind up wiht less carry over. seems liek we have to sign a QB now too

3. GasedAndConfused

ILB isn't a "sexy" pick. the "sexy" positions are RB, WR, Pass Rusher etc. people who put up big stats in certain categories. Most people here hated the mosely signing because he wasn't sexy. said paying 17 mil for an Off ball ILB who doens't rush the pasher was a mistake. then look at the difference mosely has already made on this team.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The numbers we have to purge always seem to be higher than quality we can realistically pick up in the Draft and FA. What year of the rebuild is 2020?

5. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know that ILB isn't considered a sexy position. Originally, I was going to add Crowder to the list, but decided against it since WR was a big need. At that point, I should have deleted the "s" from "positions", and put a comma to indicate that I wasn't including ILB as a "sexy" position, but rather as a big-name FA. I should have said "sexier position of RB, and signed a big-name ILB."

Yes, Mosley has been a great addition to the team, but I think signing a really good CB and a good edge rusher would have been just as great additions to the D as Mosley, and for what we're paying him, Mac could have quite possibly signed both a CB and edge rusher.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

we overrate edge rusher TBH simply because we don't have one. the cap means every team will have holes and fans will always focus on those holes and be angry about it. it's a never ending cycle.

7. No edge & no viable corner.How we getting off the field on 3rd down or 2 minute? Trick question we arent.

Edge is overrated till game clinching 3rd & 10 and/or 2 minute.Surprise! Our achilles heel on Defense.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, how well did our interior DL, LBs and CBs do in stopping the Bills passing when everyone knew they were passing?

The insanity of the thinking that drives this team's decisions (and the fans who agree with it) is astounding.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Edge rusher is NOT overrated. It's one of the 3 most important positions in the game.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We haven't had a good edge rusher since Abraham left. In a QB driven league, it's important to have someone who can get to the other team's QB. IMO, our FO's have underrated the importance of an edge rusher.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. I said the only way it’d make sense was if Q was that extremely rare interior DL that disengages blocks constantly & truly dominates behind the line. He did in college albeit for one season & surounded by 5 star talent. And while i think he has a bright future hes clearly not that dominant force.Hes not even starting.And gasp! Dare i say Ed Oliver might be better which i suggested back in April.

Unfathomable.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

This might sound crazy, but I would've tried to trade down, and use the first pick on a skill position player like Hockenson, Fant, Brown, or Harry. Even with Bell, our skill positions needed and still need more dynamic players.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Trading down was the right call unless taking Allen or even Farrell considering the plan was to play a 4 man front all along.

It was extremely dumb.Im not sure who’s at fault..hopefully its the former gm who left the building.Then again..CJ said Q was his fav player leading up to the draft :) god i love this team!

14. CotcheryFan

Q is an easy guy to root for, but we had big needs at Edge, OL, and skill positions. Yet he was the pick, because BPA. I, too, hope that was the former GM's pick and Christopher was just being nice.

15. GasedAndConfused

Lets say we von miller and TJ watt. and also had Chri s harris and jalen ramsey. but were weak up the middle. We'd be hearing you say "this is BS mac ignored the d-line and ILBs. we are paying 100 million to stud pass rushers and CBs and etams are jsut running the ball down our throat every game and we can't stop it.

the reality is, games are won in the trenches and nothing is more demoralizing to a D then being ran on all game. but fans focus on the 1-2 "flash" plays form the sexy positions.

on top of that every team has an achilles heal on both sides, which is why gameplanning is a thing.

even the best pass rushers get lets say 16 sacks a season. that's in 900-1000 snaps. lets say out of those 900-1000 snaps half were runs. that's 400-500 chances to sack a QB a season. i'll use a round number and say 20 sacks which is rare. that's a .04 to .05 percent sack rate. not even 1 tenth of a percent. What do you think is happening all those others plays? what do you think the other 10 guys are doing?

16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that didnt want to draft Q Williams?

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Off season threads after week 1. I hope our players don't quit as fast as some of our fans.

I say we purge everyone who suggests we tank the season for draft position.

18. We can reference this post around week 12 when we only have one win against the dolphins?that ok with you?

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's such things as middle ground and logic that come into play. Evrything doesnt have to be as extreme as you are painting in your example. How about just one of Von Miller or TJ Watt? How about we pair them with a good DT?

We just haven't had a football architect who knows how to properly address the areas of need on the team. We don't need to overload at one position the way we have done with early picks at DT for what seems like an eternity now. That is just downright insulting to anyone who has a clue about how to build a balanced roster at all 3 levels.

It can be done if you have a good football mind at the top. Hopefully Douglas is that guy.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Beat he dolphins? Have you gone mad? Have you forgotten we are the 2019 Jets?

This board is baiting itself into a mass hysteria.

If we win on Monday folks will act like none of this ever happened...until the next loss.