2020 NFL Week 11: New York Jets @ Los Angeles Chargers (4:05 PM)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 15, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

#81 NCJetsfan, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    barfolomew likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Ooh boy. Any decent coach has earned that title by adapting to everything. That includes the schedule, weather conditions, travel, injuries, the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents' rosters and, most importantly, their own roster.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And this, puts the lie to your belief that Gase should be extended. He has had no success elsewhere. You are correct that he is to be judged on his wins and losses - that should have kept him from being hired by the Jets and it should have gotten him fired before now. Tell us how 30 - 50 warrants his being in the NFL at all. Why would anyone dump a decent player based on such a failed philosophy?

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IMO it's better to realize that the path you're on is leading nowhere and to chaange direction asap. Best case senario under Gase is a string of mediocre seasons, maybe a playoff berth, but no chance for a SB. Cut the losses now and get someone who CAN take them to and win a SB, preferably several.

Jets79 and barfolomew like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Of course coaches have to make adjustments to those things but we are talking about personnel. I don't believe anyone said to Andy Reid that he had to use Alex Smith or Bill Parcells, when he came, here that he had to use Neil O'Donnell.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. westiedog1

I don't believe I said anywhere that he should be judged on wins and losses for this season. What I said is that the expectations by ownership (and others) for wins should be very low because of the weak roster. He did have some success last season winning 6 out of the last 8. Actually, I was one of those in the beginning shaking my head at Gase's hiring. All I'm saying is that he may be on the verge of turning things around here and going forward will be less painful for the fans than going backward with a new coach. I said the same thing when Bowles was fired. Did things get better after that?

7. westiedog1

Normally, I would agree, but in Gase's case he is someone who has been a bit snakebitten since he got here and since he is the coach, I would rather give him the benefit of doubt for another season than bring in a new coach. He has a young team with little talent that's playing hard for him. I don't think you can judge whether Gase has a chance for a SB until he puts up a few playoff seasons and I don't think you can make that judgement about any coach until they actually win.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just to clarify... you think we should keep the coach that single-handedly ruined his first and second shots at developing a franchise QB to see if he can make it work with a third potential franchise QB?

9. westiedog1

I don't know anything about a third potential franchise QB. Sam is our QB and I think he can be a very good one, if they build up the roster around him. I don't think Gase ruined him. Darnold is a young QB playing on a weak roster and shows the effects of that. Most experts say it takes 4 years before a QB is comfortable as a starter. It's easy to look at a college star and declare he's our savior. No one knows if any given QB can adjust to the pro game. However, there are more examples of these stars fading than succeeding.

10. BroadwayAaron

If you hired a weight loss coach that made his last two clients fatter, would you look for a new one or give him the benefit of the doubt?

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That depends....was his last client Rossie O'Donnell?

12. BroadwayAaron

Let's say his last client was Adele and as soon as she got a new weight loss coach, she got red hot like she is now.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I am SO 100% opposed to this line of thinking!

The continuity argument drives me absolutely bonkers!

why do I need to see more of a coach who has a losing record with two teams? Why do I need to see more of a coach who has failed to develop quarterbacks on two teams? Why do I need to see more of a coach who is heading for an 0-16 season? Why do I need to see more of a coach who only runs one side of the ball, and who doesn’t do that very well anyway?

great coaches don’t ever go 0-16...yes our team sucks from years of piss poor roster management by both Idzik and Mac, but you put a decent coach here, and we would not be 0-10....do you think Parcells, Belichick, Harbaugh, Payton, Reid....do you think ANY of those guys would have this team at 0-10? No fucking way.

Gase is not a good coach. He is what he is...mediocre at best and terrible at worst.

another year of continuity will not get us closer to the super bowl

#94 Jets79, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It can't be by design because they were drafted by different general managers but we have a group of very good tackling corners. Definitely not the greatest cover guys in the world (not bad but nothing spectacular), but Bless, Hall and Jackson all look like sound tacklers.

If I were the Jets coordinator next year I'd explore Bless at safety. He has good instincts and is a good tackler with good size. He looks comfortable sitting in zones and reacted. He isn't a great sideline man to man cover guy though and seems to struggle in those situations.

16. westiedog1

OK.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I usually like reading your takes but I think this is a bizarre approach. I defended Gase's season last year because it was what it was with injuries and what not. But when you move on from a QB and have two awful seasons with routine second half shutouts and double digits losses, it's time to move on.

I don't think Gase is the worst football mind in the world like everyone here does. But I don't think he's a good to great one at all.

The Jets need a big time culture changer and a dynamic head coach/personality to fix a decade of losing and 9/10 having nearly no chance at the players.

18. westiedog1

First, thanks for the compliment. I don't understand why you're willing to cut Gase some slack for season 1, but not this season when he lost Moseley, Adams, Bell, Darnold for 4 games, the same as last year and other players like Herndon. I understand the frustration, but I look at what they are putting on the field and don't see how the results could be any different than what they have been. I agree it would be nice to get the kind of coach you are looking for, but who is that coach? Is he available? Is he willing to come to the NY Jets? Just look at the NY Giants. Joe Judge came here with same hoopla you are describing, but look at his results, and he had a lot more talent to work with than the Jets have. All the great coaches have jobs, and all the promising ones are just that, promising, like Joe Judge. I recall a lot of people wanting Mike McCarthy to come here. Look at his results in Dallas. Even the great Belichick is learning it's tough to win if you don't have talent. So show me a coach who is guaranteed to do a better job than Gase and I'll sign on.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Good thing the Cardinals didn't think that way with Kingsbury. The Panthers with Rhule. The Eagles with Pederson. The Rams with McVay. You get the point...

The bottom line is Gase's resume looks like used toilet paper. He's gotten close to no results anywhere other than in Denver with a top 3 QB of all time calling plays at the line and executing them perfectly. Players get better when they leave his offense. He tosses players under the bus and never takes responsibility. He refused to adapt to literally anything that is outside of his offense. He doesn't cater to the players he has. I mean the list goes on and on. You're asking for a coach that is guaranteed to have more success than Gase... can you give me a single reason why we should think Gase is guaranteed to have success?

20. westiedog1

My apologies. My previous short response to you was based on an email alert that only had the first line of your post.

My question to you is: does going 3-13 make you fell better than 0-16? I'm not one who believes in tanking for the draft, so to me the only advantage of going 3-13 is that it gives the players a chance to learn what winning feels like. Parcells, Belichick, Harbaugh, Payton, Reid are not the coach of the Jets and are not likely to become the coach. So I'll pose the same question I asked @Jonathan_Vilma: what coach do you realistically want to bring here? Please don't reply "any coach". because you don't know for sure they'd do a better job.