2020 NFL Week 11: New York Jets @ Los Angeles Chargers (4:05 PM)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Chargers are more poorly coached than we are

The Dark Knight and KWJetsFan like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They played a competitive game and lost. A win-win for us.

3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's close. They would definitely be .500 or better with a good coach.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Herndon woke up after a slumber. Had a bad drop early but made two super athletic leaping grabs. Mans been a frustration all year but I hope he can put it together down the stretch.

you can see the potential at WR. Perriman continues to be a deep threat and Mims is such a big time target that sometimes you just need to let him go up and make a play.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah...if Perriman could stay healthy he can make plays. I would keep him as a #3 if he signs cheap...but you can’t really count on him as a starter....

Mims looks good

we should have kept Robby

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't want Herndon to put it together down the stretch. If he does, we probably win a game or two. He has screwed us all season so far, and should continue to do so. He can try to resurrect his career next year under the new HC.

REVISion and westiedog1 like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Mims is going to be so good if we don’t fuck him up. Big “if” there, but he clearly has what it takes to be a 1 in the NFL. Big body, great hands, great speed. We saw yesterday what just throwing his way can do... he drew what 3 PI calls?

please, please don’t fuck this up Jets. We finally have one.

Mogriffjr, NCJetsfan, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

i don't think there's going to be a new coach next year. I think Gase gets a pass because of all the setbacks he had to deal with. In yesterday's game, what I saw surprised me. The Jets travelling to the West Coast where they have traditionally done poorly, played a very competitive game. From what I saw, this team has not quit. That usually comes from the coach's leadership. This is a young team that is bereft of high priced talent, learning how to play in the NFL while dealing with adversity. They're not winning, but I think there is a solid foundation being built and would be counter productive to upset the apple cart now.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. Gase is (7-19) as Jets Head Coach and (0-10) this year, not to mention he possibly has ruined Sam Darnold and at the very least, held him back. Yeah, you were joking. You got me. :D

10. NCJetsfan

Gase could deserve some credit, but I think it's hard to determine how much. I think that he credit goes largely to Douglas and even some to Mac. Both drafted and signed players that had high character and solid work ethics. Mac less so than Douglas, but and even though some of Mac's players have the work ethic, they don't have the talent. In addition, there are a lot of young players and they're playing for a roster spot or their careers, so they're not going to quit. The other factor that no player worth a damn that has any pride wants to go winless. There is also some strong leadership among the players and you've got guys like Becton, Mims, Davis, Maye, and Perriman that are busting their asses.

11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

seriously?

he has a career losing record with two teams, and a strong chance to go 0-16. You CAN’T keep that kind of coach.

now, I will agree that the team does play hard, and I’m not seeing a lot of lack of effort (and the announcers talked about that on air yesterday as well). I’m also not seeing the finger pointing that you typically see on such bad teams (outside of Williams himself). Maybe that’s because the offense and defense are both equally terrible?

all that may be true...for whatever his faults, it does seem like Gase has this team together.

still...his record is what it is. He’s supposed to be an offensive guru, and yet his offenses without Peyton have been ranked in the bottom 5 or 10 every year. He has FAILED to develop Darnold, which was his primary objective.

he sucks and he HAS to go.

I get that out talent sucks, and that’s primarily on Idzik and Mac as the drafts they ran SHOULD be the core of this team today...guys coming into their second contracts. I acknowledge that no coach would be winning with this team. However, a better coach wouldn’t be 0-10....we’d have found a way to win a few ... maybe 2 or 3 games. A better coach wouldn’t be down double digits at halftime just about every week.

all that being said...I DO fear that the Johnsons are THAT stupid ... I think there is a legitimate chance they buy into the COVID, injury, and talent talktrack and keep him. And we waste yetANOTHER year

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. westiedog1

Not joking. You may disagree but I'm serious. Darnold's issues are two fold 1) he's young and still learning 2) he's playing on a team that has very little talent, which means he has a natural tendency to force the ball in order to make plays. Compare to Justin Herbert yesterday, a rookie yes, but he has a Keenan Allen to throw to. Darnold has no one to throw to. Sorry, but Jamison Crowder is not Keenan Allen.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Oh okay. Yeah, I agree with everything you said, but the NFL is a results league. It would send a terrible message to retain Adam Gase for a 3rd year. The Jets need a fresh start.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  14. westiedog1

I'm just saying what I think will take place next year. I'm not saying he's a great coach, but if the players are playing hard for him, I think it says something.. With good draft positions coming up and free agent signings, I think a turnaround is very possible provided the NFL and the rest of the country gets past COVID. (CJ Moseley opting out was a big blow to the defense, as was Adams being traded.) If Gase is fired, then we go back to square one again. A new coach is going to want to implement his system and purge the roster of players who don't fit. That could mean more uncertain seasons as he rebuilds the roster to his liking.

15. westiedog1

I agree that results count, but expectations count more on any given team. If Jets ownership and the GM are honest about the what should be expected from a roster so devoid of talent and as @Jets79 said, no coach could be expected to win with this roster, I think Gase will get another year to turn it around.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

We're going back to square one anyway, and need to. Gase is not the answer. No turnaround is possible with Gase as HC. I'm sorry, but imo you're not being realistic at all if you think the Jets can succeed with Gase as HC. I gave you a bunch of reasons why the team could still be playing hard. Gase probably deserves some credit, but most of the credit belongs with the players and Douglas. What else can you say that Gase has done well? Nothing. The main reason he was hired was to ensure that Sam developed. Sam has regressed and Gase never talks to him on the sideline. Gase is not involved with the D. He has given up play calling because he sucked at it. He is incapable of making adjustments. The team often shows up unprepared to play. He doesn't put players in positions to succeed and is inflexible. If Gase remains as HC, the team will stay stuck at square one, and they will lose their fanbase.

You don't know what a new HC is going to do. With Douglas involved in the decision, he's not going to hire a HC that will turn around and say that half or two-thirds of the players that Douglas has just brought to the team have to go. Get real. Douglas will hire a HC that will adapt his scheme to the talent on hand.

#76 NCJetsfan, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  17. westiedog1

I think you're being naïve. I don't think any coach worth his salt would agree to this.

18. NCJetsfan

You're the one who is being naive. The better coaches do that. Belicheat does that. Mike Tomlin does it. Andy Reid does that. Brian Flores is doing it. Matt LaFleur does it. I'm sure there are others as well.

You obviously don't understand what makes a HC a good or great one. It isn't having a system and demanding that system rigidly. It's being flexible and adapting one's system to fit the talent that one has at hand. When one does that, one can get the most out of his players. He can make adjustments in game. When one has a rigid system and tries to fit square pegs into round holes, it never works for long, and those coaches have a difficult time making any adjustments, because they only have one way of doing things.

Any coach worth his salt is flexible and adapts his system to the players he has. That's one of the reasons I don't want Jim Harbaugh. I think his ego is too big and he is inflexible and unwilling/unable to adapt/adjust.

#78 NCJetsfan, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  19. westiedog1

We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think any coach that is hired should be hired because he has had success in his system elsewhere. Therefore, he is going to want players who can duplicate his success, not necessarily players left over from the old regime who got fired. That is not to say players can't be talented enough to play in both systems, but a coach is judged on wins/losses, therefore I would expect that a leftover player who can't execute the new coaches philosophy would be gone.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I hit the nail on the head with Chargers 34 points lol but yeah Herbert absolutely destroyed us