2020 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 23, 2020.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Cautiously optimistic about JD. While he shored up the OL - better not great - I believe his focus will be O. As others have stated repeatedly, it all depends on his evaluations and who is available... I believe he wants OT but may not get his choice which would leave him the option of selecting a WR (LAMB I hope) or trading with Philly or someone to picking up more picks. I would not be surprised - given his propensity to trade down - that he would do that BUT be smart enough (and there are indications he is) that he will get max value. This was we can restock the team - help SAM (PLEASE) - and maybe get some good players for a dam change.

My hope is OT, WR, WR, C or pass rusher, C or IOL, BPA, BPA. BPA for some contribution ....

He has a plan and you saw him execute it during FA. I my mind the sweet spot in this draft is 2 -3 rounds and maybe 4th.

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m convinced the WR pool while talented this year is in the bottom tier of players that are being sought after by top ten teams.

That’s why I believe Lamb will be there for Jets at 11.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

ok here is what my gut says:

We're trading back. The OTs are not world class, people will overpay because they're the best this particular year. I'm getting a vibe from past years (e.g., Warmack, Cooper) where smart teams planted stories/reports hyping fools gold so people like Macc would take the bait

JD will go with a second tier tackle that fits the system better later in round 1 (or maybe an Edge), and pick up another quality pick in 2d or 3d. Most fans will boo, but in a year or two we'll be happy

If we stay put in round 1 it's for a WR they're totally sold on

the first round won't be as important as 2-5

LAJet, NCJetsfan and sozopol like this.
  4. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

See I actually think he can be a 3 down back. He worked on his pass protection a lot last year and just seems to be one of those guys that gets it. Smart enough to learn and compete and do it all.

I do agree about taking him in the 2nd with only one pick. And everything I said about him before makes me think that he won't be around for us in the 3rd. He's more of a "hope" pick for me realistically.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I didn’t say you did. You responded to my original thread in which I said, “ if JD feels the left over tackle at 11 is not worth the pick move on to another position”. Basically it was in response to many here that feel if we don’t pick a OL at 11 is a failure as if it will be for sure there waiting for us. Douglas knows who he wants and who he doesn’t at left tackle and will go from there. He will not over reach for a tackle at 11 he doesn’t see meritorious of the position to help Darnold. That was my original premise and was in response to another tread.
    JD has already stated protecting Sam is his top priority, and I’m sure he sees more than just the first round to do it, plus free agency.
    I think the reality is what Colorado stated in his response, we are all placing critical need and selections preferences based on our observations, which are different, but may differ greatly from the way JD, Gase and Williams see it. Which is what matters. I’m confident he will strike on a position of most need, not my need or yours, but what he sees as the team need.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I want to go heavy on the offense but we still have holes on the defensive side of the ball as well. That's why I love the idea of a tradeback in the 1st to pick up another 3rd giving us 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

Imagine if the following were available:
    1. Jones OT
    2. Higgins or Claypool WR
    3a. Okwara OLB
    3b. Jonah Jackson IOL
    3c. Cameron Dantzler CB
    4. AJ Dillon RB

I would be thrilled if this were our draft. I'd be really excited if only these were the positions we drafted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hearing this rumor about the Eagles trying to trade up and could have last year's first round pick OT Andre Dillard and CB Rasul Douglas on the trading block. Acquiring Dillard in a trade down sounds quite intriguing.

jilozzo, mrjet80 and Joe D MVP like this.
  8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I liked him as a prospect...anyone know how he looked last year?

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We are in agreement on this! You're right of course that some will see it as a failure if Douglas doesn't take one of the top 4 OTs at #11, or if he doesn't take the WR that we want, or the Edge Rusher or CB we want.

I am fairly confident that he will have a great draft, but after all the rumors and clamor for CBs today, that confidence is a little shaken. Hopefully, it will be restored quickly tonight and through the next couple of days. I really do believe that he is going to create a golden era of Jets football if the Johnsons will stay out of his way. IMO if he can't then no one can. We've never had such a well-qualified candidate.

Enjoy the draft, and I look forward to celebrating with you here on TGG a lot in the coming days, weeks and months.

LAJet likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would be a pretty awesome draft potentially. Question: What would you think if Douglas didn't draft a CB and signed Logan Ryan instead?

LAJet likes this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Be safe and enjoy the draft. The bold is music to my ears. It is always a pleasure discussing the future of the Jets with you and many other members here. May this virtual reality draft be the beginning of our best draft ever.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Derick brown or javon kinlaw

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I'd be ok with that. Maybe that pick could be used to double dip at WR instead?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Brook!

In fact I will make this official Round 1 Draft Thread

jilozzo likes this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I assume the Jets will end up with Ruggs because he's the one player whose name I've heard that I don't want.

17. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He is a better left tackle prospect than either Wills or Wirfs. He has actually played LT, wills has not even after his left handed qb went down and was replaced with a right handed QB. Wirfs maybe able to play LT but my guess is he ends up a good RT in the nfl. Becton is already a good RT and could be a good LT before either of the other 2. Thomas is the only true LT of the bunch. Becton has more potential than any of the other 3.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like that...and double up on OL or WR on the third

19. Brook!

Final decision

Give me Wirfs, Wills or Andrew Thomas. If none available give me Lamb over Jeudy. May God smile on Jets for once.

20. Brook!

No to Mekhi Becton. Too risky. Stay away