2020 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 23, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

no one cares.

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Claypool, Shenault, Hamler all are solid + you can double up with a Gandy Golden with the next pick if need be.

Also the goal is to add offensive playmakers. There’s 3 RB’s with 1st round grades... Taylor, Dobans, Swift... and Cole Kmet at TE who is going present matchup problems + could be used like Kittle/Kelce...

Offensive talent will be there at pick #48...

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The logic is the same as it was with Favre.

You've got a great HoF QB on the backside of his career with an unknown number of years at a high level left. He's not somebody you want to let go in a partial rebuilding phase. However the unknowns are higher with him than they have been at any other point in his career.

So you spend a late 1st on a guy you really like, knowing that he is definitely sitting next year and probably the year after as well. Then you have him under control for 3 seasons and if you really like what you see his first season as a starter you can extend him right away - giving him an excellent 3rd, 4th and 5th year salary in return for a 6th year salary that is manageable. That's 4 seasons of good QB play after the 2 your current starter has in the can. That's a Super Bowl window.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

$17 mm in dead cap seems like a handcuff to me. Only time will tell.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Have you looked at any film of Edwards? I don't think he's a #1 WR prospect, but could develop into a solid #2.

On the positive side, he's 6'3", 215 pounds and has pretty good speed. He highpoints the ball well, looks like a natural hands catcher, beats the press fairly easily, and runs hard with the ball in his hands, and is good on contested catches. On the negative side, he's had some focus drops, and doesn't block very hard on running plays, but none of SC's WRs did, so that could just be a matter of coaching. If not, I recommend that you do. His QBs were awful. I watched the tape from the Alabama, Tennessee and Missouri games, and his highlight reel. He made an incredible one-handed catch vs Tennessee. I wouldn't be happy if he's the only or the first WR we took, but if he's the second WR we take after one of Mims, Pittman, Claypool, or Higgins, I'd be happy.

Here's the highlight video:

I'm not worried. I think at least one of the WRs we want will be there. We're the 16th pick. Following are 25 players, 12-15 of which could go before us in the 2nd round. I think at least 3-4 Edge Rushers will go before our pick, probably both Jones and Cleveland, Cushenberry, maybe all 3 RBs, 2-3 CBs, maybe a couple of safeties, and maybe a DL or two. Hamler might go, and probably Higgins and Mims, but I think Pittman or Claypool will be there at our pick, maybe both.

QB
    Jacob Eason

RB

D'Andre Swift
    Jonathan Taylor
    JK Dobbins

OT
    Josh Jones
    Ezra Cleveland
    Lucas Nianen

IOL
    Lloyd Cushenberry, III

TE
    Cole Kmet

EDGE
    AJ Epenesa
    Yetur Gross-Matos
    Josh Uche
    Zach Baun
    Julian Okwara
    Curtis Weaver

CB
    Kristian Fulton
    Trevon Diggs
    Bryce Hall
    Jaylon Johnson

S
    Grant Delpit
    Xavier McKinney
    Ashtyn Davis
    Antoine Winfield, Jr.

DL
    Ross Blalock
    Neville Gallimore

LogeSection2RowJ and boozer32 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I disagree on that. I think there are some decent options in the 3rd round, but I think the best WRs left (Mims, Higgins, Pittman, Jr., Claypool, and Hamler, will all go in the 2nd round). Shenault may drop to the 3rd because of his injuries, but I could easily see some team taking a chance on him in the 2nd. He's got a lot of talent.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

How many years did Rodgers sit behind Favre? 2? 3? Love could do the same. I don't think GB would cut Rodgers, especially not and take those cap hits.

8. KingRoach

Cap or trade, it’s the same cap hit in 2022. $17mm.
    Again, best case scenario is a 17 mm cap hit in year 3 of your rookie contract.....
    I get the strategy but imo it was at least a year too early.... Saints make that move it’s a win.

9. NCJetsfan

Yes, it is the same, but the Packers aren't going to take that hit because they're not going trade or release Rodgers to start Love. For that to happen Rodgers would have to totally lose it and Love blow them away.

I agree it's early, and was surprised that they took Love rather than another WR. Maybe Rodgers has made some noise about retiring. I could be mistaken, but I think if he retires, they won't take the cap hit.

10. KingRoach

The Cap hit is all pro-rated bonuses.
    Trade/No trade Cut/retire It don’t matter.
    That money is dead money.
    Superficially, sure just like what they did with Farve... but details matter.

To sum up, the only way this pick makes sense is if Rodgers announces he’s retiring after this season.

11. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think they saw a chance to grab their future QB, and didn't think they'd have a chance to get one next year, and didn't want to wait until 2022.

12. KingRoach

Very very interesting. If I were a GM, I’d be figuring out a way to score some 2021 and 2022 Green Bay draft picks.
    Piss off your star player AND throw away a 1st round pick the same year sounds like something the SOJ woulda done.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB is different. An injury there changes the season 99% of the time. For a team with a great vet who is getting up there in years having a good backup ready to step in and take the reins is valuable.

14. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is a good or bad holy shit, but Edwards-Helaire is a perfect fit for Andy Reid. He's a better Brian Westbrook.

15. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Anyone else surprised that 6 CB's were drafted last night? Left us a ton of talent for our needs. Now it just needs to get to us.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Teams like the Dolphins who rolled the dice on a CB in 1 probably knew by the time they picked in 2, there’d be a top WR prospect there.

mattyd99 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rodgers said he wants to play until he's 40. it was an awful pick

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You do or you wouldn't have gone full-blown "I must reply."

Now, do you care that you (and Tobacco Rd. Mary) were totally wrong? No, because that's simply business as usual when it comes to you two attention whores..

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

yeah if he can make it, hes regressing like crazy

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hardly. he has no o-line and no WRs and he's still getting it done. he needs some help