2020 NFL Draft Database

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 101GangGreen101, Dec 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Unless they get Hewitt back cheap. But I agree If there is no cheap replacement (which would most likely not play as well as Williamson) I could see him back. Wouldn't be a bad thing, is both Williamson and Mosley are healthy then we would just need a few pieces on D to be really good again.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Realistically I see them only really looking for another corner and an edge. But I doubt they will be priority over the o line. Probably both positions will be filled in the second wave of free agency. I think joe d goes hard at the top guards and center the first day of free agency.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I wonder if Williamson will be open to restructuring his deal, maybe adding on another year. Judging off his weekly Instagram posts, he wants to be a Jet.

Mosley, Williamson, Cashman, and Burgess is a nice ILB group

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. FJF

His Instagram was phenomenal this year. Almost made it worth not having him. Not sure how is deal is set up but most players are open to restructuring if it means more money upfront. They change some base into a bonus, he gets money now they get to spread it across the cap. Not sure if we will have to though. We should have enough cap to do what we need to based on who may be available.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Williamson’s weekly Instagram posts have made him a Jets legend plus he’s pretty darn good. I hope they figure out a way to keep him. The D was pretty decent this year without Mosley & Williamson, will be better with both of them back hungry and healthy.

Mosley, Williamson, Cashman & either Hewitt or Burgess will be one of the few units that is both deep and talented, no reason to make more holes.

FJF, NYJFOREVER and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He is a very good tackler, blitzer and great against the run. I wouldn't want to create another hole, but Hewitt is cheaper and played well. They'll probably keep Williamson unless they really want a FA OL or CB and need the cap space.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I agree with the idea of not creating a hold, but I'm not certain that releasing Williamson and starting Hewitt would create a hole. Hewitt's not as good as Williamson, but Hewitt is likely to be cheaper and he played well. I think you're right that they'll probably keep Williamson. The only caveat would be if they want/need more cap space to sign a FA or two that they want. Then they may opt to go with Hewitt as the starting ILB waive Williamson.

8. FJF

I don’t think there’s that much savings in going that route. Hewitts going to get 3-4 a year on the open market. You’re looking at 2-3 mil in savings. Not sure that’s worth it. Hewitt played good but Williamson is still markedly better

9. NCJetsfan

You may be right about the amount of savings, but even that amount could be the difference between signing a Scherff, Conklin, or Ngakoue, or even a CB or quality OL depth and not. I'd rather have any of those 3 players,a FA CB or better OL depth than Williamson.

It's great that Williamson wants to remain a Jet. Players like that you want to keep, but not at the expense of making your team better by filling a huge need at another position where the difference in level of play would be greater than the difference between Williamson and Hewitt.

I won't be unhappy if we keep Williamson unless we keep him over Poole and/or Jenkins or prevents us from signing Ngakoue or Scherff or an OL or CB who could help the team more. ILB is a less important position than OL or Edge or CB, Williamson isn't very versatile in that he's not very good in coverage, and we have Mosley who is great against the run. Our run D is solid, and it's not even that important any more. If I had to sacrifice Williamson to make our pass D or pass rush better, I'd do it in a NY minute.

J-Raw24 likes this.