2020 Draft - OL Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL....you totally made my day.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm leaning towards wanting Becton at 11, but Wirfs would also be good, especially from the "character, heart" aspect and that he comes from a program/HC that really does know how to develop players. The difference between these two - and note that I'm no expert and can certainly be persuaded to change my mind - is based on a variation of the old coaching adage: "You can't coach speed or height".IOW, when I look at two nearly equal players, I give a slight edge to the one who has exceptional physical attributes with the caveat that they've demonstrated a high level of commitment to improve and have other intangibles like always playing on a winner (I'm of the believe that players who are always on winning teams is not coincidence or luck...they have a knack for elevating their teammates).

I believe that for the Jets to become long term, consistent, winners they first need to have an elite OL, and a commitment to maintaining it going forward - unlike how they sat on their asses after drafting Ferguson and Mangold. To me this is more important than whether they make the playoffs next year. If, and when, they get this stud OL, coupled with having a FQB (I do believe Darnold fits that criteria), they can start being consistent contenders, not just for the playoffs but for the SB.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair, we didn't start sitting on our asses until after we found success with that formula (around 2011). For most of the 2000's (barring 2005 really), we had good to great offensive lines.

Why Woody and Chris Johnson bought into Rex's super secondary over everything theory and then doubled-down on it with Bowles and Mr. No-Line Maccagnan is fucking mind blowing.

Your points are spot on though. We need to sign 2/draft 2-3. Even if all aren't added to be starters. Quality backups can't be understated either.

K'OB, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

This might be a unpopular opinion here but i woudnt mind give the leonard williams 3rd round pick to move up spots in the first round for one of the elite tackles.

FJF likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't speak for others, but it would be very unpopular with me. We have too many holes to even think about trading up. The ONLY way I'd do it is if Douglas was certain that all 4 of the top tackles would be gone by #11 and if he wasn't high on any of the other OTs in the draft.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. The return on trading up would have to yield a guaranteed generational talent, someone that makes an impact for 8-10 years. But we all know there are no guarantees. That said, based upon his experience in so many winning organizations - and being a part of those decisions - I'm going to give Douglas a little leeway to do what he thinks is best...at least until he proves me wrong. If he believes that there is a guy he HAS TO HAVE who won't be there at 11 and he can use the Leo pick to trade up I would have my doubts but I would defer to his experience at this point.

However, I do believe there will be an impact OL available at 11 and that's what I want. I would even be happy with a trade down because I think there will be impact players in positions of need available below #11, and we could use more premium picks.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks like Ruiz could be taken in round 2. I'd love for us to get him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d rather try to use it to move up in the 2nd to catch anyone that falls but I wouldn’t hate it.

9. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

From what I saw at the senior Bowl, Josh Jones can't handle speed rushers. He was constantly beat by rushers either going outside then using a spin move or chop to his chest and having an open path to the QB.
    Cushenberry was by far the biggest standout of all the O lineman . Would be happy to see him taken in round 2.

almbleamal and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I like Cushen a lot. But I think it we go OL in round 1 we need to go WR in round 2. Then I would be ok going OL and WR in 3. I would also add 2 OL and a WR in FA. We need to fix this offense then next year we can look at the D.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Part of me agrees with this, but the problem is, we're not likely to sign a FA C unless we sign Graham Glasgow, and I want a new starting C. I believe that the Cs capable of starting day one will go in the 2nd round, so if I'm correct, we need to used our 2nd on a C. If we sign Glasgow, great, then take a WR in the 2nd. If we don't sign Glasgow, I think we need to take a C in the 2nd round, and if need be, we can use both 3rd round picks on WRs.

13. J-Raw24

I think Biadasz will slip to the 3rd. So will Nick Harris. But I think the wr that will go in the 2nd have more of a chance of being wr1 material. Though a few in the 3rd could they will have a tougher route.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

You're probably right about Biadasz and Harris, but will either be capable of starting day one and being a clear upgrade over Harrison? I'm not so sure about either of those things with either Biadasz or Harris.

I agree with your statement regarding 2nd round WRs having more of a chance of becoming #1 WRs.

15. J-Raw24

I think both Biadasz and Harris are upgrades to what we have and with better guards they will be improved more. We will sign one guard I bet. Glasgow, Scherf, Thuney, or someone. Maybe 2

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope we sign one and draft one. Need youth and experience on the OL.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.