2020 Draft - OL Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That looks like that'd be flagged for a hold, honestly. Even though his hands are inside he basically tackles him.

I can't say I know much about him. Don't they run a gimmicky Air Raid style offense though?

#22 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In the draft games I've played, he goes in the bottom of the first round around pick 23-25.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He also projects there in a lot of mocks and has for months.

5. NCJetsfan

Yes those games have him rated that high.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

http://turnonthejets.com/2020/01/new-york-jets-nfl-draft-offensive-line-targets/

New York Jets – NFL Draft Offensive Line Targets

Michael Meegan breaks down potential offensive line targets for the New York Jets in the NFL Draft

The New York Jets have four picks in the top 80 of the NFL Draft this year and should look to be using at least two of them on the offensive line, regardless of what happens in free agency.

Today, let’s look at four offensive tackles the Jets could look to use their first round pick on, as well as some centers to look at in rounds 2-3…

Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

A two year starter at right tackle at Alabama, where he covered the blindside of Tua Tagovailoa. Wills is at his best in pass protection, as his technique is pristine and in his 28 starts at Alabama, he only surrendered 2 sacks.He improved his run blocking this year to balance out his game. Wills moves fluidly and has good footwork for a guy of his size. Some have asked whether Wills can make the move to play left tackle. Yet, Ryan Ramczyk, Lane Johnson, and Mitchell Schwartz have shown how right tackle can be just as important as left and I in 2-3 years Wills will be in this class of talent.

Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

A three year starter at Georgia. Thomas is an absolute mauler in the run game and his ability to move SEC linemen with ease is truly special. He was inconsistent in pass protection, as his footwork is average and sometimes relies too much on his upper body instead of his feet to block defenders when they get a step. Thomas has the ability, with the right coaching and scheme to be a franchise tackle.

Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

Becton has been one of the biggest risers in the draft, as he has such a unique set of skills. Becton is an absolute behemoth at 6”7, 370 pounds and moves quite gracefully for someone his size. He is a destroyer in the run game and has the most power and strength of any tackle in this draft. Becton uses his size to help him in pass protection and his length allows him to keep pass rushers away. He can get a little reckless with his hands sometimes and gets away with it because his physical tools are so overpowering.

Tristian Wirfs, OT/OG, Iowa

Wirfs played right tackle for Iowa this year but was able to switch to the left side for spot duty. He is an exceptional athlete who is as strong in the run game as he in the pass game. Wirfs biggest issue is he was on the ground too much as pass rushers took advantage of him being off balance too often. He could project to being a good tackle but also could be a perennial Pro Bowler at guard if he slides inside. It fits his skill set better to get kicked inside and the idea of pairing him on the right side with a free agent like Jack Conklin is intriguing.

Lloyd Cushenberry III, Center, LSU

Cushenberry was the anchor of the offensive line that helped Joe Burrow to a Heisman and LSU to a National Championship. That offensive line won the Joe Moore award for the best OL in college football and Cushenberry was a big reason why. His feet are tremendous and he is stout in both passing and run blocking. Recently, Cushenberry shined at the Senior Bowl going head to head with projected top 10 pick Javon Kinlaw, showing an ability to hold his own. A potential second round target for the Jets.

Tyler Biadzaz, Center, Wisconsin

The latest from the NFL offensive line factory that is the University of Wisconsin. Biadzaz looked like a projected first round pick coming into the year but struggled a bit in 2019. There are questions about his athleticism and his ability to defend the super athletic interior DL that we are seeing dominate the NFL like Chris Jones, Aaron Donald and Ed Oliver.

Nick Harris, Center, Washington

Harris is an athletic center who excels in zone run schemes, where can he get out to the second level and wreak havoc. Harris is excellent when uncovered in the pass game, as he has very quick feet and a high IQ as he was a 3-year starter at Washington under Chris Petersen. Harris is a scheme specific prospect but he will be highly effective in the NFL if you allow him to play to his strengths. In round three, Harris would give the Jets a guy who can contribute from day 1 which is something they are going to need from all of their first four picks in this upcoming draft.

I have no idea who the author is, but I trust Kurt's opinion more than his, and Kurt said that Wirfs could not slide inside that he is too tall and it would be wasting his movement and agility skills in space.

Biadasz has been getting rated lower on draft sites and in the mocks I've seen he's going 2nd or 3rd round. At this point, I'd rather have Cushenberry or Cesar Ruiz than Biadasz.

I don't think I want Nick Harris at all (but that could change with more film viewing and reading), even though getting a C in the 3rd round is appealing. I've only seen a little video on him, but wasn't really impressed by what I saw, and every draft report I've read so far hasn't been that flattering. This is the most flattering report I've seen. My lack of interest in him at this point has to do more with the type of center he is. I don't like Centers that aren't powerful and can't hold up against big, strong NTs, and are best pulling and moving to the 2nd level. That may be the type of Center the Jets are looking for, but I hate that kind of OL play. In general, they say he's great on the move and getting to the second level, but is weaker in pass protection, and imo that has to be his main quality. He's also only 6'1" which can present problems.

#26 NCJetsfan, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    BomberJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I decided to wait as a number of the draft reports were from the middle of this past season or earlier. I'm going to wait and watch more film on him and read more up-to-date reports.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Every time I see Becton's height and weight I can't help but laugh, he's a monster and has very good mobility. I'd much rather Becton than Wirfs.

It's looking like Biadasz is going to be a day 2 pick, and I wonder how much his hip surgery affected his play this season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, Becton is now likely the least likely to make it to 11. Unless he bombs the pre draft process of course.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...ay-audition-with-jets-frustrating-forgettable

How Jets can use NFL draft, free agency to rebuild woe-line
    Jan 24, 2020
    • Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
    The New York Jets have spent the better part of the past year celebrating two of the biggest names in their offensive line history. Former center Kevin Mawae, a star in the late 1990s and early 2000s, was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August. The late Winston Hill, Joe Namath's most trusted blocker in the Super Bowl III era, soon will have a bust in Canton, as he was selected last week for enshrinement.

Hooray for the past.

As for the present, the word "bust" holds a different meaning.

Due to injuries and ineffectiveness, the Jets started nine different offensive line combinations, and not one of them performed at a high level. They finished 31st in run blocking and 30th in pass protection, according to Football Outsiders analytics, setting the stage for major offseason changes. They figure to have at least three new starters in 2020, as general manager Joe Douglas -- in his first offseason with the team -- looks to repair the broken line via free agency and the NFL draft.

"Moving forward, the line of scrimmage is always going to be a priority here, and so it's definitely going to be something that we're going to look to improve every year," said Douglas, a lineman from his days playing at the University of Richmond.

For a change, the Jets need to rebuild through the draft. During the current nine-year playoff drought, they have drafted eight linemen, but none higher than the third round. They've always invested heavily in free agency. In fact, the Jets have been a top-10 team in offensive-line spending in each season of the drought, according to ESPN salary data.

And what has all that free-agent buying reaped? One winning season and not a single All-Pro selection. (Center Nick Mangold was an All-Pro in 2010.)

From 2008 to 2010, the Jets used a mix of draft and free agency to construct arguably the best line in the league. They have to get back to that formula. Once they have the horses up front, they need more creativity in the running game, as 68% of their rushes went up the middle/between the guards -- the NFL's second-highest rate, per Football Outsiders.

The good news for the Jets (11th overall pick) is the April 23 draft will have a handful of high-quality linemen, and recent history suggests they will land a good one. Of the 35 linemen drafted in the top 11 since 2000, 13 have made multiple Pro Bowls.

A closer look at how Douglas can rebuild the line:

Left tackle
    2019 starter: Kelvin Beachum (free agent)
    Georgia's Andrew Thomas is generally regarded as the draft's best left tackle. He's a plug-and-play prospect with exciting upside, but there's a decent chance he will have boated to the commissioner's stage in Las Vegas by the time the Jets are on the clock. The other premier left-tackle prospect is Louisville's Mekhi Becton, a massive player (listed at 6-foot-7, 369 pounds) with scary athleticism. Talent evaluators are all over the map on Becton because he's so raw. Houston's Josh Jones, impressing at the Senior Bowl, is a fast-rising name to watch. He's a natural pass protector.

The Jets could do a lot worse than Beachum (who will turn 31 by next season), who finished third among tackles in pass-block win rate (hold a block at least 2.5 seconds), per NFL Next Gen Stats. The line crumbled when he missed three games with an ankle injury, highlighting his value. The Jets are sending mixed signals on their interest in Beachum, probably because they want to keep their options open.

Solution: Sign Beachum to a two-year contract, with an easy escape after one year. He would provide insurance and stability, protecting quarterback Sam Darnold's blind side while their first-round pick (assuming it's a lineman) gets experience at another position in 2020. Thomas, it should be noted, played right tackle as a freshman.

Left guard
    2019 starter: Alex Lewis (free agent)

Lewis, who replaced the injured Kelechi Osemele (released), was their most consistent lineman until minor injuries took their toll. It still was a solid season, as he finished 11th among guards in pass-block win rate. Know this: Douglas has an affinity for Lewis because he traded for him last training camp, knowing he couldn't trust Osemele -- acquired by the previous regime -- to stay healthy. Chances are he will try to re-sign Lewis.

The big-name option in free agency is New England Patriots left guard Joe Thuney, who hasn't missed a game in four years. He was an elite pass protector last season, finishing second among guards in PBWR.

Solution: Thuney will cost a fortune because the guard market has exploded in recent years -- he could fetch at least $13 million per year -- but he'd be a safe investment because of his age (27) and durability. If the Jets make a big splurge on the offensive line, it should be Thuney.

Center
    2019 starter: Jonotthan Harrison

Let's not forget what happened last summer: Douglas was so desperate for a starting center that he lured Ryan Kalil out of retirement and cast aside Harrison -- a bad idea, as it turned out. Douglas warmed to Harrison after watching him start the final 10 games, but there's no indication he believes Harrison is the long-term answer. He has value because he's affordable ($2.25 million cap charge) and can play multiple positions, but the Jets must upgrade the position.

The Jets haven't drafted a center since Mangold in 2006. It's time.

Solution: The top center in the draft is Wisconsin's Tyler Biadasz. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes he's a potential top-20 pick, while others rate him as a late first-rounder or second-round prospect. He could be a 10-year anchor for the team that picks him. With four picks in the first three rounds, they should be able to find a starting-caliber center.

11. NCJetsfan

Right guard
    2019 starters:
    Brian Winters, Tom Compton (free agent)

Winters, recovering from shoulder surgery, could be a cap casualty as he heads into the final year of his contract. Dude is a warrior, but his body has absorbed a beating over the years. The Jets can clear his entire $7.5 million cap charge off the books by releasing him. Compton is a replacement-level player.

Solution: The Washington Redskins' Brandon Scherff will generate the most buzz because he's a 2015 first-round pick (No. 5 overall) with three Pro Bowls on his résumé, but his injury history has to be a concern -- 15 missed games over the past three years. Someone will make him one of the highest-paid guards, but the Jets would be wise to save the money and target a second-tier free agent such as the Detroit Lions' Graham Glasgow, who can play guard and center.

Right tackle
    2019 starters: Brandon Shell (free agent), Chuma Edoga

They will move on from Shell, who was a turnstile (10 sacks allowed, per Next Gen Stats). He lost his job to the rookie Edoga, but wound up starting 11 games because of injuries. The coaches like Edoga's potential as a pass protector, but he really struggled (seven sacks). They can't make him the RT1, can they?

Solution: Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr. are first-round prospects who played right tackle in college. Neither project as a left tackle, according to most evaluators, but there's nothing wrong with taking a permanent right tackle with the 11th pick. Wirfs is intriguing because he's a top run blocker, and the Jets need some punch in the running game.

Bottom line: The Jets need to collect as many good linemen as possible, and it's a bonus if they have position flexibility.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the draft experts here think about why Austin Jackson, OT USC, is reported to be climbing up in the draft status and potentially a candidate at 11 for the Jets. I really haven seen his name mentioned here much at all.

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He is roughly the 6th tackle on the board. He looks like the type that you trade up to the top of the 2nd round because he escaped round 1.

He is not in consideration at #11.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

One reason has to do with USC replacing Tee Martin (back at Tenn. as WR coach) with Graham Harrell as OC and his Air-Raid attack better featuring mobile, athletic pass blockers such as Jackson. Jackson's shortcomings were his 'punch' and ability to finish blocks which I'd think would be more of a concern in a more balanced (run/pass) pro set type offense. Need a guy to pass protect, Jackson's an option. Need a yard on 3rd and one? Look elsewhere (unless Jax can 'up' the maul factor).

#34 joe, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you Joe, sounds like a reach at 11 but an option at the end of round one, and may be a great pick up with the second round.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

To Jax's credit, he did acquit himself fairly well vs. A.J. Epenesa in the Iowa game; that is until SC's QB Kedon Slovis left the game injured. At the time SC was within one score but once Slovis left the game got out of hand at which point the Hawkeyes threw caution to the wind, disregarded the threat of the run and pinned their ears back and blitzing the living bleep out of Matt Fink.

You're right, bit of a reach at #11, but fwiw, he's mobile with the requisite size albeit with anchor/punch concerns. One other thing: OTs are worth their weight in gold nowadays and much like drafts that have a rush on QBs, OT-needy teams may draft an OT a tad earlier than they otherwise would've. To that end, watch where Houston's Josh Jones ends up or even UConn's Matt Peart, two guys who previously were getting very little ink.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Jones is definitely going round 1

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Could very well be. My point was that he was not even mentioned not too long ago. People rise, people fall.

While Austin Jackson's moving up, Alaric Jackson's dropped more than Nancy Pelosi's tits.

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Alaric Jackson is returning to school so it's not really a fall. They just took him out of the draft discussion because he isn't declaring. Austin Jackson in the other hand has been in round 1 discussions for months and has actually fallen. A month ago he was rated top 3-4 OT but fell bad because of his play against good competition. Though I agree with your assessment on him blocking Epenesa. He could develop into a very good LT but he has to develop punch and be able to push to the next level to be effective. I think he is decent in pass pro.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Alaric Jackson's returning to school precisely because his stock fell during the year
    (read: the Michigan game disaster).

If Austin Jackson was rated a "top 3-4 OT just a month ago" as you claim then he was ranked above one of the following:

- Jedrick Wills: arguably the best of the bunch even though you and aren't crazy about him - which I don't get.

- Tristan Wirfs: whose already high ranking remained steady after his solid performance vs. USC in the Holiday Bowl (over a month ago).

- Andrew Thomas: whose slight dip coincided with Georgia's (and Nick Fromm's) late-season offensive malaise.

- Mekhi Becton: whose stock has skyrocketed yet he passed up his team's bowl game and hasn't played well over a month ago.

I've already outlined the detailed changes in USC's switch of OC's, of them revamping their offensive system and how it benefited Jax. Besides, I'm not really concerned with addressing generalized ratings that are often just one source parroting another and so on. Example: why has Mekhi Becton flown up the boards when Louisville hasn't played in over a month and Mekhi Becton himself (after sitting out the Music City Bowl) not having played since November, i.e. in OVER TWO MONTHS. Not all, but a lot of them (Walter Football, Draft Tech, etc.) just recycle what they themselves read "on the street" it seems.

ColoradoContrails likes this.