2019 NFL Season - Week 12: Jets vs Raiders

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Brook!, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the Raiders game but are you watching the Colts-Texans game? I’m super envious of that OL, Chris Ballard really did a great job of rebuilding that unit and it’s their strongest I think. That’s why Brissett has been able to thrive. Just compare what he did in 2017 versus this year.

I hope Joe Douglas has the exact same plans; I know their C and LT were drafted before Ballard was there but he drafted two OL in the first two rounds of last year’s draft and both are starters.

Royal Tee and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Maybe I should just pick the Jets to win and envision a few of you dropping your phones and keyboards as you read it ? Nah I don't want anyone cracking a screen so I will go with Raiders 34 jets 24

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

QW barely plays half the defensive snaps, and when he is playing he is usually double teamed.

Lets remember he is only 21 years old and will be getting stronger and heavier for at least the next two seasons. His upside is still huge. If there is any drawback I'd say he is too nice. He needs to get angrier when he comes on the field. Get that adrenaline pumping and take his game up a notch.

We cant blame QW when he is doing a pretty good job for a 21 year old rookie DT. His push up the middle is still impressive for his age. Its almost the opposite of Leonard Williams. He had a great rookie season and then what happened? Hopefully its more of Clowney situation where it takes a season plus to arrive. If/when QW arrives everyone in the league will know it. It could be next season or it could be Sunday? Hard to tell with young DLs.

If he doesn't show more next season than we can start to worry.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

About the game I don't think we will win but who knows. The Raiders have never done the coast to coast road trip very well so we got that. Hopefully they come out flat and we school them. At the very least I'd like to see our team play with some fire.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There are many reasons to think the Jets will win:
    1. The Jets have won 2 in a row.
    2. They are at home.
    3. The Raiders are a West Coast team flying East for a 1:00 kickoff.
    4. The Raiders barely beat the (0-10) Bengals at home last week 17-10.
    5. The match-up is good. The Raiders like to run, the Jets stop the run. The Raiders defense isn't great, the Jets offense has been improving.

There are many reasons to think the Jets will lose too:
    1. Derek Carr is a quality QB, who may be able to pick apart our weak CB's.
    2. The Raiders pass rush could get to Sam early and often.
    3. The Raiders have more to play for, as they are in a legitimate playoff race at (6-4).
    4. Antonio Brown is not on their team anymore.

KNOCK ON WOOD IF YOU THINK THE JETS ARE GOING TO WIN! :)

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem isn't where he is today. I didn't expect him to be some refined pass rusher and I don't think anyone did. The problem becomes if he just becomes similar to his predecessors in run stuffing nose tackles and no more than that. With Fatukasi, Phillips and Shepherd we are proving to ourselves that if a player can't rush the passer along the defensive line, then we do not need to use high picks on them. I would've thought we learned this when we spent a mid-round pick on Sione Pouha, traded a 4th four years later for Kris Jenkins and then found Damon Harrison as an UDFA.

Unfortunately this dying desire to right the wrong that was Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp has went through what? 7 coaches and 5 GM's?

Makes me think that the only thing the Johnson's know about football is that Brady doesn't like pressure up the middle so there's a draft defensive tackles directive for the past ten years.

#67 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I know it's beating a dead horse, but it seemed so obvious that Allen should've been the pick. Especially with Bosa off the board.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

It's mind blowing isn't it?

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its Macc... Nuff said.

FJF and CBG like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not just Macc though. In 2012 we took Quinton Coples (290 pound defensive end) over Melvin Ingram (OLB) and Chandler Jones (Edge) and then followed it up with another 3T with Wilkerson and Coples on the roster with Sheldon Richardson.

We then took Leonard Williams over Vic Beasley (Edge). I was SCREAMING for Beasley. And even though he's faded into oblivion now, maybe he would've continued to be production next to all the other massive defensive lineman. 4 year period was across THREE GM's.

It hurt to even look at that and type it out.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I just really, REALLY hope we don't wear the green pants.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

could be Kyle Brady over Warren Sappish

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There's no debating just how bad the Jets are at evaluating talent. Macc, ex-superscout turned GM, proved the Jets have no idea how to spot Scouting talent either. We don't know yet how QW will pan out, but so far, its Big Cat 2.0. Not to say that's bad, but BPA? hardly.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's mind blowing how the Jets have drafted 5 interior defensive linemen with their first round pick in the last 10 years. Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Leo Williams, and Q Williams.

Insane really.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Yeah baby!

No doubt, it will be a “moist” tailgate. However we got rain gear, snorkels, BC and tanks...

Daughter calls for Lobster Tails, Shrimp, and Clams...with champagne of course.

Jets win...see you there buddy!

Brook! likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Woody. Tomorrow is a wash out. I think I will skip this one. What says you?

18. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

This year has been the first in all my years as a fan that I have actually wanted the Jets to lose. I wanted them to lose for precisely those reasons you pointed out. I thought a loss against the Giants would have been humiliating enough for C.J. to shit-can Gase. On one hand I am glad we won, the men needed a win badly, but Gase will be here another year due to it.

This game against the Raiders should be entertaining, but a win gets us nothing, and a loss against a team of somewhat good caliber will not be humiliating enough to have Gase shit-canned. So I just hope it's a fun game and that Darnold and Adams do well.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We'll be there again. The forecast is NOT in the JETS favor.
    Heavy Rain which means a ground game.
    The JETS need to rethink sending Bell up the gut on 1st & 2nd Downs.
    Mix it up w/Bilal, Ty, Josh & Bell. We had some nice runs last week with them.
    Line em up in the Backfield, Split, Wide..Mix it the fuk up!

If it goes to ground and pound our D will be GASSED by halftime.

Head to head I think we'll be fine but the weather may just be our demise here.

NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

When you say "the Jets" are bad at evaluating talent, that's a broad statement, and I don't think it's necessarily accurate. How do we know how good our scouts are? One way is if any of our scouts leave (either quit, don't sign a new contract with the Jets, or are fired, and if they don't get another job scouting in the NFL. The problem there is AFAIK, only 3-4 scouts have been fired or didn't re-sign with the Jets over the last 10 years, and I think that every single one of them was hired by another NFL team. If they were that awful, they probably would have never gotten another job. Joey Clinkscales was one of those scouts. He worked for the Jets for 16 years (1994-2012). In 2002 he became a National Scout for the Jets. In 2006 he became the Director of College Scouting. He became the VP of College Scouting in 2008. I don't remember if Mac fired him or he opted to not re-sign with the Jets, but he left the Jets in January 2012. He interviewed with the Rams for their GM position in 2012 and then was hired by the Raiders as their Director of Player Personnel.

Remember the GM sets the tone. He supposedly tells the scouts the qualities, characteristics he wants in players, what types of players, what skills or techniques, they should possess. Tanny had no clue. Perhaps Mangini did that when he was HC. Idzik definitely had no clue. Since Mac and Bowles supposedly didn't communicate regarding the draft, I'm not certain Mac could have given any clear guidance to the scouts, either. Each may have been working in a vacuum and just looking for the best player or athletes they could find. The scouts could be making the right call, and either our GMs or the Johnsons ordering our GMs to pick certain players. While we know that the Johnsons know nothing about football, we also know that Woody meddled a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that he ordered some of those DTs drafted. Alternatively, because Tanny, Idzik and Mac really had no clue, they may have been listening to the scouts.

IMO it will be interesting to see what Douglas following the 2020 draft, when it's time to renew contracts for our scouts. Will he clean house? If so, then I will definitely agree that our scouts were awful. It certainly seem as if at least some of them have been awful, but Tanny, Idzik and Mac were all so clueless, I can't in good conscience put all the blame on the scouts without more information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.