2019 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, May 21, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Bell is an old POS that will become Wilk 2.0 with a new contract.

Expecting $22-25 million a year.

Besides, he doesn’t have St Petersburg Florida speed or Florida blood running through his veins.

No thank you.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Norwell was another commodity.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Bell is working himself out of the league.

Why would any team give him a contract with huge guarantees now? What then if he decides to not show up?

Held hostage by that cap hit.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. There was Weston Richburg, Andrew Norwell, and a slew of other FA OL both younger and older. I'm not sure which would have been fits for our zone scheme, but I'm certain there must have been, or they could have kept the previous scheme and not changed schemes. With their plans to either sign Cousins, draft a QB and they had Teddy Bridgewater, they needed to upgrade the OL. It has been a big need for years.

5. NCJetsfan

Carpenter is not a good fit for our scheme and he was pretty bad last year. We cannot or should not even think about re-signing Carpenter. You may be OK with Carpenter, Long and Winters on the inside, but I'd be willing to bet that 90% of Jets fans wouldn't be, and I know this Jets fan wouldn't be.

Red Menace and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

... But Bell is not under contract. Its not like he signed a long term deal nad held out. He got franchise tagged and is deciding to not play under it until the rule state he has to be there to earn credit for the year. The Steelers used the CBA to their advantage and tagged him, he's using the the CBA the other way to both protect his body and and bet on himself. ITs costing him a ton of money and bringing him a lot of flak from the locker room. I doubt he cares about the later part because he does not see himself in Pittsburgh next year.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Let's clarify. He said he's not signing the franchise tag because he's not going to accept 400 carries within a contract which is underneath what he values himself.

My questiong is: What if team signs him to a contract that amounts to 17m a year (arbitrary number here) and then he decides a year later he's exceeded that value?
    If I'm the team, I'm worried the guy is going to screw me.

For the Steelers, it may not matter in the long run because they have loads of offensive talent. But for a team like the Bills, void of talent, it would cripple them.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I can understand your point on that and you may be right. I do see why he will not let the Steelers run him into the ground on the tag this year though. I want no part of Bell on the Jets. He is talented for sure but not worth the headaches to me.

Red Menace and GQMartin like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

OR....he gets a boat load of cash up front and making his "salary" in 2 years bottom of the league and decides he can't play for that.

This is what Thomas Jones did to us.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

very true but even striking a deal next year can not have an effect on the cap until 2020 as it can be an extension. Mac can work the cap how he pleases since we have flexibility.

I was hoping he'd do better as a RT as he was misplaced to LT by the giants but based on yesterday I have to take that back. he was awful. He wouldn't even make our team at this point at RT let along start

12. GasedAndConfused

True but 13mil a year for a G is a tough pill to swallow especially when he have bigger needs at RT and LT and center (at the time, hopefully long pans out) I'm all for paying tackles and Centers big money but guards is iffy

13. GasedAndConfused

you cna't have all starts everywhere. Guards IMO aren't worth big money. decent guards are fine if you have a good C, LT and RT. We need to focus on the tackles mostly right now. Which is why norwell and his 13mil a year is a tough pill. I'm ok passing on him. We can draft good guards with high picks. guards are rarely busts as it's an easier position then T or C

14. Rollo Tomassi

Maybe he needs to be kicked inside to guard. He can't be out on the edge.

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One solution to this - something I've suggested before would be drafting a center say 3rd round or so. Start anew there. Push Long over to LG where I've read more than once that he is a better fit. I don't know if 2019 is a strong year for centers coming out but if it is that would work......

16. GasedAndConfused

possibly but he sure as shit isn't an NFL tackle

17. NCJetsfan

I actually agree with you about not paying OGs big money, and I know that one can't have stars everywhere. That's why I don't believe in drafting OGs before the 2nd round, and if they can be found in a lower round, all the better. That's one thing, but to say that there was no one to sign wasn't accurate. The Jets could have signed Richburg to play C and signed Long to play OG. They also could have signed Adran LaWaddle to start at RT. That not only would have helped the Jets but weakened the Pats.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He’s Wayne Hunter bad, I never thought I would see that again.

19. GasedAndConfused

i mean hindsight is 20/20 we signed alot of players this offseason and none of those names are "must haves" I would have loved soldier at LT but to be honest he didn't play very well yesterday either for the giants. We need to look at the draft but i'd be happy if our 1st 3 picks were LT, RT, G.

LMAO IDK hunter may have been better