2019 NFL Draft - Round 2 and 3 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 26, 2019.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Make you look silly? On the contrary, logic (yours) trumps emotion. Plus, remember who you're dealing with... : )

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Polite also has L. Williams here. Not too concerned.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yup. Would've preferred Winovich at 68.

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Joe. As a guy who loves you dearly, I am tired of your personal attacks on NC. Consider this your last warning before I send you to a nice long vacation. For real, drop it.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not making the connection. You mean as an overall good dude or is there a back story?

6. Ralebird

His welcome thread has a tweet that they went to the same high school. Lenny can be his big bro.

FJF and Snatch Catch like this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I'll find the post.....then you can judge who was the self-absorbed bag o' wind who stupidly started shit with me. . Meanwhile, g'nite Book, di sibe di.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oh , cool. Yea that helps too. Kid might have ended up exactly where he needed to be his best. As absurd as that thought is when speaking of the jets

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Edoga played HS ball in GA and Williams in Florida.

10. Ralebird

Yeah, we're talking about Polite.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Tomorrow RD. 4 - Hoping we get him:

Hakeem Butler
    6’6”
    227 lbs
    1300 yards
    9 tds
    Ran a 4.48 ‘40
    10 3/4” hands

12. Ralebird

I'm sold!

Why is he still on the board?

#532 Ralebird, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Worst drop rate of any receiver in the class. 16.7%
    Makes circus catches but drops the easy balls to often.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your post above is clear and makes sense. Your one earlier was not clear and I'm sorry as constituted still does not make sense to me because my post that you responded to was stating that I was upset with Mac because he though Polite was better than Allen, Burns or Sweat. You ignored that. You made a statement that we all know (that the NFL values prospects differently than the media and fans do), and then it sounded like you were trying to say that Polite is better than Allen, and I think that is nonsense. If you had written the above post instead of the other one, then there would have been no misunderstanding.

The fans and media often value players differently than the NFL does. That's not news. It doesn't bother me in the least that Allen fell to #7. Allen IS one of the top 3 players in the draft in terms of talent and potential, and that's what is most important. Many, if not most, players come into the NFL as unfinished products. They are raw, or have flawed fundamentals/technique. They are drafted because of their measurables, speed, size, athleticism, and potential. I said before the draft that Allen wasn't a finished product. He played at Kentucky which has been one of the worst teams in the SEC. The fact that he only knew a couple of pass rush moves, no counters, has inconsistent hand usage, and can't convert speed to power is an indictment on the KY CS. The fact is that in spite of lacking those moves and knowledge, he improved each year, and had amazing production in the SEC. A player doesn't do that if he isn't very talented and doesn't work hard, especially when he doesn't have a lot of great players around him. He has great character, no injury history, and a great work ethic. I knew he wouldn't have as big an initial impact as perhaps Bosa or Q. Williams, because both are pretty much finished, polished products technically and Allen has a lot to learn. I have no doubts that he will work hard and learn those things. You don't draft a player just for his first year. Allen is only 21. It will probably take him a year or two to master those things he needs to work on. You draft Allen because of his talent, his production in spite of raw technique, his speed, bend, and his ability to drop into coverage, and you know that if he learns those things that he needs to learn, he has HOF potential. Mark my words, if the Jaguars have any kind of decent coaching for him, the Jets are going to look like idiots in a couple of years for not taking Allen.

As far as the Jags, Fowler and Allen, what you say above only supports my point that Allen is a good player. After their experience with Fowler, they wouldn't have taken Allen if they didn't believe in him. They would have been more cautious, paranoid perhaps. The fact that they did take him, shows how much talent and potential they think he has.

I have no idea what you mean about googling what teams were saying and thinking about Allen. You care to provide a link? Teams usually don't comment on players like you suggest. I googled Allen and the only thing I saw was Booger McFarland trashing the KY CS. I saw no NFL teams bad mouthing him.

The Raiders are hardly an example of good drafting. Their HC is a wack job, and their first two 1st round draft picks are pretty bad reaches. Teams pass on good players all the time. Each team has certain specific qualities or traits they are looking for and ignore things that other teams look at closely. They have different systems and philosophies. I also heard that some NFL teams looked at him as only a 3-4 OLB, and so that probably kept some teams from taking or trading up for him. I don't worry about or care what other teams do, so no, no red flags.

I wasn't trying to make you look silly. I have better things to do with my time than that, and I have no reason to want to make you look bad. We have generally, if not always had cordial discussions, so I'm sorry if I came across disrespectfully or harshly. At the time I read and responded to your post, I was very upset with Mac's continuing to draft D and ignore offense, so that didn't help my frame of mind. I apologize for taking my frustrations with Mac out on you.

#534 NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2019
  15. SoylentGreen

Suffers from the occasional drop... still many sources had him as a first round talent. I think he can be a Plaxico type in the NFL...

Would be a fantastic red zone target for Sam. I felt like we lost something last year when Pryor wasn’t around (and besides being big, he wasn’t even very good)...

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

He hasn't been playing WR long, and focus can be fixed. Bad hands can't be fixed, and he wouldn't be making those circus catches if he had bad hands. More than likely it's bad technique combined with lapses in focus, and both can be fixed. In the 4th round, he would be worth taking a flyer on, although since Mac seems to have done that with Polite and Edoga, perhaps that's too many risky picks.

Perhaps Foster Moreland or Dru Sammia would be a better pick.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  17. Ralebird

The second clip Soylent posted shows him working hard and talks about his history As you said, he makes some great catches, with the right kind of coaching he should be able to cut back on the drops. San Fran has already taken two receivers and Arizona took one and sorely needs to get some guys in front of Murray.; I'm thinking they won't take the stretch for Butler. The Jets should.

Right now, I'm looking at the first three picks as the makings of the best draft class the Jets have had in recent memory and Butler seems like a good fit with the three already in the bag. They're all going to need a bunch of coaching; I hope the staff is up to it.

#537 Ralebird, Apr 27, 2019
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He's played WR since J.V. in highschool. What's your definition of long?
    The drops are most likely focus issues. Kind of like Santonio Holmes.
    Has a ton of upside but averaging 1 drop per game is a bit of a red flag, and likely the reason he's dropped to the 4th. round.
    I'd be happy to see Jordan picked with our 4th. Would be depth to start and could be starting mid season. Center should be first priority. Can't see Darnold hitting Butler, or any receiver if he's flat on his back.

19. SoylentGreen

Have to agree. The lack of Center on the roster is a problem and Jordan makes the most sense. A team with as many holes as the Jets needed to trade down to acquire more picks. 5 draft picks is not enough to build a team.

20. NCJetsfan

I think I may have confused Butler with Boykin on that. I'm leaving now for most of the day, but will try to remember to look for what I've read about that when I get home.

I would not be happy with Jordan. He's is not a good C and doesn't want to play C. He knows that his best position is OG. He's too stiff and slow out of his stance to play C in the NFL.

TonyFtLaud likes this.