2019 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gettleman is an idiot. He was horrible in Carolina. If he had been worth a damn, Carolina would have already won a SB or two.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Jets did well tonight. . TGG not so much if the bed-wetting and whining (i.e. 90% of the preceding 20 pages) are any indication.

Pressure will squeeze whining out of losers and winning out of achievers.

[​IMG]

On "Jet Nation" (SNY) they showed a Twitter poll which gave the Q. pick a 92% approval rating fwiw.

#422 joe, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If Jawaan Taylor or Greedy Williams are still there at the top of the 2nd do we move up? Lee + a 3rd would be awesome a move if Mac could pull it off.

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NO! We cannot afford to trade up. You guys need to forget about that BS. That is not the way to build a football team. Tanny was a moron. He left the cupboard bare with little or no depth after all the trading up he did.

HomeoftheJets and Frenbar like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It’s easy to bash Gettleman

So I will

Man he’s a tool. The Giants are a joke.

Jones would have been there at 17 if not round 2.

Yikes!!!!!

6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I disagree with that. I've seen Jones play. Have you? He is NFL ready and a good QB. He may be the best QB in this class. Gettleman may be wrong about him, but if you like a QB you don't risk someone else taking him trying to get the "best value." You take him when you get the chance. There are 3-4 other teams that need QBs.

Mr mittens and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Longsuffering88

I’ve only seen the tapes not games.

His arm seems average, his completions seem average, his team did stink. He doesn’t stretch the field and nothing besides his family pedigree really stands out.
    it seems like a pick of need and reach.

2 mistakes imo

But since you have watched all his games, I’m glad to learn from you what he does great?

Not being sarcastic.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well then I expect us to be drafting depth from here on out, which granted we need but we definitely have holes at starting spots going into the season.

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter because NOBODY was picking him in the first round, maybe not even in the second round.

Franchise malpractice, it's a monumental gaffe that can't be recovered. It's literally impossible to justify even if Jones ends up being Tom Brady & Aaron Rodgers illigitimate child

10. NCJetsfan

We were never going to fill all of our holes this offseason anyway. Mac should have signed both a C and an edge rusher in FA. It's great to have Mosley, but we'd have been better off signing an Edge Rusher, C and CB instead of Mosley.

6-10 once again likes this.
  11. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

Glitz ,glamour, Entertainment.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Gettleman pulled a muscle with that reach.

Love it.

13. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Yeah Mosley is a run stuffer pretty much. Forget his coverage ranks but I remember some saying good and others saying bad. He has no pass rush ability: tough to justify a record setting contract to that type of player in today’s nfl but that’s Mac.

14. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Anyone here think it would be beneficial to trade our two 3's and Lee, to get back into the second and try to grab Taaylor, McCoy, or Ford? Or maybe even Greedy W?

15. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Ideally I want to see us build our offensive line with both of our 3s and at least one of our later round picks. I'd like to see us get a center, a guard, and a tackle. It all starts with the offensive line to protect Darnold, open up holes for Bell, and give us the ability to sustain drives, control the ball, eat clock, and keep our defense well rested. Our best years in recent memory were anchored around Mangold and D'brick. Its a strategy we need to revisit.

16. NCJetsfan

I don't disagree that it was a need pick and a reach. QBs get overdrafted. We know that. Still, several "experts" predicted that Jones would go in the 1st round, and a few predicted that he would go in the top 10. Perhaps no other team would have taken him in the 1st round, but if you were the GM and you realized that you had screwed up the year before not taking Darnold, that Eli is pretty much done, and there was a QB that you really liked, would you risk him being there 11 picks later when you know that Miami, Denver and Oakland may want him, or maybe NE, SD or even Detroit might trade back into the 1st round ahead of you and take him? Gettleman is taking a beating for taking Jones at #6, but he'd probably feel much worse, if he decided to wait until pick #17 to take him, and then he was gone, and they'd have no developmental QB for the future or to possibly backup Eli this season.

Overall, I was disappointed with Jones' play at Duke, but some things were beyond his control, and he has some potential. He had some really good games and some poor games. He was inconsistent, but so was the team around him. Duke had a lot of injuries to key players over the last 2-3 years. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but think he can make all the throws, and his completion percentage was around 60% in spite of playing behind a crappy OL and taking a bit of a pounding. His TD to Interception ratio was basically 2-1 (52-29). His QB rating was 122.9. He has solid good fundamentals at the QB position, good technique, makes good decisions, is mobile, and reads Ds pretty well. He is extremely well-coached by the coach that helped develop Peyton and Eli Manning. He doesn't have the arm talent that some have, but he makes up for it by making better decisions, and being smarter. I don't think that he will ever be a star, but he could be a solid starter, and could wind up being the 2nd best or maybe even best QB in this draft class, although I doubt he winds up the best, unless the Cardinals don't fix their OL and Murray takes a beating.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree, and you certainly don't trade up for a CB. The Jets just cannot afford to trade up.

18. Longsuffering88

Cool thanks

On paragraph 1 I would summarize that as “chasing” using a poker reference. Dave messed up 2018 so now he wants to fix it in 2019, at the detriment of BPA (by far). A very risky way to play.

On paragraph 2 your analysis is excellent. All I can say that at 6, you’d hope to have the star FQB, which you seem to admit he is likely not.

All that being said, you never know. Imagine if he becomes Brady, we all look like fools (except you)

Cheers

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Of course we can afford to trade up.
    Third and fourth for instance for a second. Rather a likely starter than a couple of projects. Would still have a third. Maybe even see Lee packaged with the late third to move up.
    Lots of WRs, CBs and TEs but think there will be a run on the WRs , the better TEs as well as O line. Rock ya sin, Greedy Williams ( another Williams) Taylor ,Ford, Jenkins, Risner, Whiteside. All better than what we will get standing Pat.
    Cajuste will be there , Little will probably be avail with our earlier 3 and I think Henderson goes mid- late 4. I'd prefer a starting center personally.

20. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Whoa, a video of NY Jets draft blunders!? I didn’t know you could squeeze a video that long onto YouTube.