2019 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 26, 2019.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That's not the workload Bell should be on anymore. He's been injured/suspended quite often and cannot be trusted to play all 16

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nobody on here knows if this was a good draft or not. We have players we like without real professional analysis if they will project and develop at the next level. Even the professionals with lots of data and tape get it wrong. Too many variables.
    Forgetting the actual player, I look at the Colts draft last year and this year and see a team with a plan. I don't really see it with our draft plan. Darnold was obviously a no brainer.

chandler and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Anyone hear anything about Jets signing Jamey Mosley , CJ's younger brother... I just saw something on IG alluding to it ?

Edit: Just saw we signed Jamey Mosley as an UDFA... this is pretty cool.
    Obviously a favor to CJ , but still cool!

#403 Jersey Joe 67, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Ya'll bitch and moan about Bowles awful press conferences forever--and now you bitch that Mac brings us Quinnen Williams who, before he even gets to the NFL has provided two of the greatest interview moments of all time (Bless you, Thank you; and I'm Good).

I say you'll never be happy.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Every GM has the same plan when it comes to the draft, find good players. Chris Ballard had a good plan last draft cause he found good players, a bunch of them.

We’ll see if the Jets had a good plan.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You asked for analysis and it's been done. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince someone who obviously has his mind made up. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

7. The plan seemed to be to get stouter & more importantly athletic in the box to continue building upon Bell,Mosley,Adams,Williamson & Herndon who are also in most cases between the hashes.DL/Edge/OL/TE/MLB w one outlier at CB. Mission accomplished.

Still,was this the right big picture plan to begin w given the need to build around Darnold & the state of the OL? Highly Debatable.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

yep--always gotta wait until next year--and THAT is exactly what we will say again next year

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It is what it is....This team was picking top 5 again for a reason, major holes in multiple positions going into the offseason

I think we’ll be competitive and should be fighting for the playoffs but we still have some stopgaps at a few spots

If we still have glaring holes at this time next season there’s a huge problem but it should have been expected for this year. Still have some vets out there and who knows what happens with trades during training camp

stinkyB likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with the bolded sentence. With all the cap space we had, a strong FA class and 6 draft picks, all the glaring holes should have been filled. We may not have had topflight players at all of them, but we'd have had players that were a lot better than what we have at present. We would have still had needs like upgrading positions, improving depth and team speed, but there's really no reason why we should still have a glaring hole at C and CB #2. It's not like there weren't good players in FA that we could have signed or that there weren't good prospects in the draft at those positions that we couldn't have drafted if we had a good GM. Instead we have a GM who is obsessed with BPA and who continually leaves holes on our roster. We didn't need another DL. Williams appears to be a great player, but after Mac failed to sign a FA C and CB #2, his priority should have been trading down as he claimed to get more picks instead of staying put and taking Williams. Had he traded down, we could have drafted a very good C prospect, a good Edge Rushing prospect and a good CB prospect. He claimed that we didn't get any good offers, but we may never know the truth of that. It shouldn't have come down to the draft anyway, but going into the season having to sign a camp cut to start at C and at CB #2 are fireable offenses imo, especially after all the other blown draft picks and FA signings.

Will you be so satisfied if Harrison gets Sam seriously hurt and on IR with a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder this season?

11. NCJetsfan

Yes, our D should be very solid up the middle and could be a top 5 D, but will it be worth it if Sam goes down with a serious injury this year because Mac stubbornly refused to address the C position in FA or the draft?

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Even if the defense lives up to the massive investment made in it, the rules of today's NFL will ensure that a good offense will beat it. The fact that the Jets keep ignoring this reality is the most disturbing thing of all. The NFL is an entertainment vehicle, it's really not a sport, and the highest entertainment value comes when fans see exciting finishes, not great defensive battles. A "stout" defense is no match for the ratings.

13. King Koopa

They seem to think Harrison is adequate...Is he? I really have no idea. The Paradis situation was weird and I have no idea what happened there.

Roberts also played well at CB last season and they could still bring back Claiborne

I feel like we’re on the right track...We upgraded multiple positions greatly. I’d rather do that over 2 years instead of putting a bunch of decent guys in all of the needed positions in one off season just to say we did it but with no real shot at winning it all

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sorry, but your constant reference to a "2 year plan" makes no sense at all! McCagnan has presided over 5 (count 'em, five) offseasons/drafts with the jets. What--he gets a pass for doing squat the first three years? Bottom line is he is on record as stating the OL in his mind can be filled by low draft choices and free agents. Darold will be on his back a lot this season with his current piece of crap OL, especially with a retread at center (Harrison or whoever)--should have addressed OL years ago in the draft.

15. NCJetsfan

I don't get this. You haven't been following football for 5 minutes. Our present system of FA in the NFL began in 1993. For as long as I can remember GMs have been using FA to fill needs, increase depth, and improve competition. It didn't mean that those positions were then "fixed" and perfect. They were stopgap measures. If they drafted a player at that position in the draft, great. They could cut the FA they just signed or maybe the backup behind that guy. Maybe they would let that FA start for a season while the rookie draft pick sat and learned, and then went with the rookie the following season.

Now you act like you don't understand why GMs did this or that it's not a bad thing for a GM just to ignore glaring holes when there are good players in FA at those positions (not just JAGs) and we have the cap space to sign them.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. King Koopa

Exactly what glaring holes do we have right now? Harrison played well enough for the Jets to resign him and now seemingly make him the starter...Do you think he’s awful? I really don’t...He’s an adequate starter which is fine, you’re not going to have amazing starters everywhere

I’m honestly more concerned with CB2 and still have hope that we bring back Claiborne which Macc said was a possibility over the weekend...Some people like Roberts but I’m not fully sold

I wanted Macc gone for a while but this last off-season has not been bad...He added a pro bowl caliber guard, an all pro RB and LB, one of the better slot WRs in football and did a decent job in the draft. Did we get everything possible? No but I don’t get all of the hate

Ralebird and Mr mittens like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

IMO Harrison is only a backup caliber center, not starting material, so there's a glaring hole there. I like Roberts more than most here, but don't think he's really starting caliber, either, so there's a second glaring hole.

With over a $100 million in cap space, things should have gotten a lot better. IMO with that much money in cap space, there is no way we should still have holes at C and CB2, especially considering there were 2 very good centers in FA and 5-6 good outside CBs available in FA. IMO Mac went cheap signing the #3 slot CB, when Bryce Callahan or Darqueeze Dennard would have been better. They can also play outside as well as in the slot.

If you'll remember, for Mac's first 2-3 years, I was one of his biggest supporters, and defended him constantly when others criticized him. It finally became clear to me that the rationale and the situations that I used to defend Mac were just "excuses" and there is a pattern of bad decision making in FA and the draft. I truly think that he was influenced in Houston and is causing him to not make the OL a priority. I want the Jets to win. I'm tired of his going cheap in FA, not making the OL and the offense a priority, his continually missing on picks after the 1st round drafting older, injured boom or bust prospects that don't work out, and his being obsessed with the DL and BPA in the 1st round. I have now wanted him fired for the last year or two. He is setting the team back with every bad draft and every poor decision in FA. IMO the only thing that has kept him employed as the Jets' GM is the cluelessness of the Johnsons, and Mac's lucking into so many players falling to him in the 1st round.

If Leonard Williams hadn't fallen to him in 2015, there's a very good chance that Mac's first first round pick would no longer be on the team. In 2016 he attempted to trade up for Goff or Mariota and failed. He also attempted to trade up for Laremy Tunsil and failed. Most Jets fans don't seem to like Lee, but Mac could have chosen someone a lot worse, so he either made a decent pick there or got lucky. If Lee stays and G. Williams turns him into a player, we'll know whether Lee has been the problem or if it was Bowles/Rodgers. Then Mac totally wasted the 2nd round pick reaching for Hack. The decision to take Hack possibly set a snowball of bad decisions in place. Mac may not have taken Mahomes any way, but it's quite possible that he didn't as a result of taking Hack. If so, passing on Mahomes, was a bad decision in and of itself, but it made the decision to take Hack all the worse.

Regardless, passing on Mahomes resulted in Mac having to burn last year's 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks, plus our 2nd round pick this year to trade up for a QB. Because of the trade up, we missed out on adding 3 very good players last year and missed getting a C in the draft both last year and this year. It would have dramatically changed our moves in FA and the draft this year. Below is a chart showing the players we could have added with the picks that Mac traded last year to move up for a QB, that luckily turned out to be Darnold. If the Giants had any brains at all, Mac would have been choosing between Rosen and Allen last year at #3, and our future wouldn't be looking nearly so rosy.

1st round (#6) - Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith, Mike McGlinchey, Vita Vea, Daron Payne,or Derwin James.
    2nd round (#37) - Braden Smith, James Daniels or Courtland Sutton
    2nd round (#49) - Anthony Miller, Kemoko Turay, or Donte Jackson

Mac was lucky in 2017 that Jamal Adams fell to him. If Tennessee or Jacksonville were drafting BPA, one of them should have taken Adams over the players they took.

If he had taken Mahomes in 2017, he could have stayed put at #6 last year or possibly even have traded down. At #6, Mac would have had his choice between Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith, Mike McGlinchey, Vita Vea, Daron Payne,or Derwin James. With our own #2 pick last year, Mac could have taken either Braden Smith, James Daniels or Courtland Sutton. With Seattle's 2nd round pick, he could have added Anthony Miller, Kemoko Turay, or Donte Jackson. The possibilities are almost endless for our OL and addressing the holes we have. In one scenario, if Mac had added Mahomes in 2017, he could have taken Mike McGlinchey (OT) in the 1st and either Braden Smith (OG) or James Daniels (C) in the 2nd with our own 2nd round pick. In another, if he had taken Mahomes in 2017, he could have taken Quenton Nelson in the 1st and James Daniels in the 2nd. Either would have been a huge start on rebuilding our OL. If he had taken McGlinchey and Braden Smith, He could have added McCoy or Jenkins in the 2nd round this year, still traded for Osemele, and our OL would have been McGlinchey (LT), Osemele (LG), McCoy/Jenkins (C), Smith (RG) and Taylor/J. Williams/Shell (RT) or he could have kept Beacham at LT and played McGlinchey at RT, then next year moved McGlinchey over to LT and added a RT next year. If he had taken McGlinchey and Daniels, he could have added Taylor or Jonah Williams and Michael Jordan or Connor McGovern or Dru Samia this year, and the OL this year would have been MGlinchey (LT), Osemele (LG), Daniels (C), Jordan/McGovern/Samia (RG), Taylor/J. Williams (RT). Even if he had taken Quenton Nelson instead of McGlinchey, he then either could have still taken Smith or taken Daniels, added Osemele. Our OL this year would have been Beacham (LT), Osemele (LG), Daniels (C), Nelson (RG), Taylor or J. Williams (RT), or Beacham (LT), Osemele (LG), McCoy or Jenkins (C) Nelson (RG) and Taylor or J. Williams (RT), then we could have added Greg Little in the 2nd round to be our future LT, still taken Edogah in the 3rd round or waited until next year and taken our future LT.

In another scenario he had taken Roquan Smith in the 1st round, there would have been no need to sign Mosley in FA. Mac could have still taken one of Smith/Daniels in the 2nd round and Anthony Miller or Donte Jackson. If Mac had taken either Sutton or Miller or both, our WR corps would have been better and deeper. Jamison Crowder wouldn't have needed to be signed in FA. Mac could have signed a C and #2 CB in FA this year, or drafted one of McCoy/Jenkins and added Osemele via trade, and our OL would still be better as Beacham (LT), Osemele (LG), Morse/McCoy/Jenkins/Daniels (C), Smith/Jordan/McGovern/Samia (RG), Shell/Taylor/J. Williams (RT).

If he had taken Vea or Payne, there would have been no reason to take Q. Williams this year, and Mac could have taken Allen, taken Jawaan Taylor or Jonah Williams or possibly traded down. If he had taken Taylor or Williams, then McCoy or Jenkins in the 2nd round, our OL rebuild could have possibly been finished. our OL wouldSince we would have had our 2nd round pick, there wouldn't have been a pressing need to trade down. Mac could have taken Allen, and then one of McCoy or Jenkins to start at C. then the #3a pick could have been used on Connor McGovern. If he had been able to trade down this year, then we could quite possibly have one of Bradbury, McCoy or Jenkins at center.
    Thus as a result of taking Hack, we wound up missing out

I love Adams and I love Darnold, but this team would have been immeasurably better with Mahomes, and a partially rebuilt OL, some of the following: Roquan Smith, a deeper WR corps, our need for a #2 CB filled, all of our draft picks this year, and very different needs for FA this offseason. With different needs in FA, between FA and the draft, we could have a totally rebuilt OL, a very solid CB corps, still have our elite edge rusher, and a much better WR corps.

18. ColoradoContrails

Yes, people keep complaining about bringing up the Mahomes miss, but it goes to the root of the problems we have right now, and is squarely on Macc.

I get it that Mahomes is "water under the bridge" as far as him being on this team, but what is NOT in the past is the evaluation of Macc as a GM, and his passing on Mahomes when this team needed a FQB is inexcusable and prevented the rebuild from being more advanced than it is.

NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.