2019 Jets Draft Rumors

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Deleted

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes it would reduce us to five picks, but the vastly improved odds of getting a legit starter with the 2nd makes it worthwhile IMO. The odds of any drafted player becoming a starter are long, but the lower you go into the draft., the longer those odds get. Put it this way: Macc would be doing well - much better than his record - if only one of those two 3rds made it, let alone as a starter, so in essence that cancels out one of the picks. Now I'm not saying that the guy he takes with the 2nd rounder becomes a starter for certain, but the odds are much better that he will, and even have a better chance of becoming a star. From my POV it makes trading both 3rds for a HIGH 2nd worth it (but just to be clear, NOT also including Lee with those picks).

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd do it depending on who falls. There are still some good players out there that should have gone round 1. Taylor was one of them but he just got taken. Jags are having a great draft.

#143 Sam Hammer, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree. You're right about the odds, but the Jets historically have had much better luck with the 3rd round than the 2nd round. In addition, the two players taken in the 3rd round wouldn't have to become starters. They could become key backups and role players and that would help the team.

The bottom line is this...we shouldn't have to be trading up. If Mac had done the right thing in FA, he wouldn't have signed Mosley, and instead would have signed Morse or Paradis to be our starting C, Shaq Barrett or one of the edge rushers the Packers signed, and one of Ronald Darby, Bryce Callahan, Darqueeze Dennard, or Bradley Roby to be the #2 CB.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The GM approach I most respect is that you fill critical holes in free agency, you use mostly BPA in the draft to replenish and upgrade for the future. I support trading down, not up ever unless is a QB. Mac was not in a position to think we were set at C, and if the rumor is correct that Gase was in disagreement he should haver pushed much harder for one of the 2 centers in FA. Now he is strapped to get one during the draft came hell or high water, and in the process loose all leverage for getting the highest quality contributor. Trading up will only fuck up one or two more additional positions we are paper thin at, with an already reduced set of draft picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.