2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Yet another shorthanded goal allowed and no offense as usual... 1-0 Devils after one

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Except for the shorty that was an excellent 1st period. But as is the norm they can't finish. Play the 2nd and 3rd like the 1st P and finish some chances and they will get 2 points.

3. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

2-0... If it wasn't for Sorokin, they would be down by 5

4. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Another breakaway and it's 3-0

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

4-0 loss. Give the Devils goalie credit. He had 40 saves. Isles didn't play that bad. Split the two games against TB and FLA and this trip ends respectable.

JetBlue likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't really agree - bad power play and bad penalty killing. For a team with the lack of scoring punch this team has, that's deadly. I think the grind of being on the road and the weirdness of never having a home game are taking their toll. The fact that the Islanders couldn't get the arena done a few weeks earlier may end up costing them dearly, given how well a bunch of teams in the East have started. And at this point even getting a point in the games against Tampa Bay and Florida would be an upset.

7. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I am afraid they peaked last year and it's only down from there on. That game 7 was their chance to win the Cup. They blew it last season and might not even make the playoffs the way they are playing.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Good thing we are going to have a ton of cap space at the deadline; Lou’s going to need it.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am starting to think this will be a down year with no playoffs. To many on this team are old and slow. I am not saying they need to blow it up and start from scratch but changes need to be made. We do have some young pieces on the team to build around. They still need more skill on offense (we have been saying that for years). They need another top 4 D-man one who can QB the PP. Looking forward to the home opener next Saturday at UBS. It will be exciting to see the team in their new home.

10. statjeff22

I have been vocal in my lack of enthusiasm for Lou as a GM, and this season has certainly done nothing to dispel that. This team has needed the same kind of dynamic talent for years, and he has been consistent in his inability to get it.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. JetBlue

Lou has also been extremely handcuffed by the cap, which he has resolved this year. He will have plenty of space to add meaningful players at the deadline.

I’m absolutely okay with how we went into the season giving opportunities to guys like Dobson (and Aho last night) and seeing how well they do, with the flexibility of building during the season. But it may be time to start trading some of those prospects now that we can actually assume high salaries and going all in.

12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

More of the same tonight... It will suck if they lose the arena opener on Saturday as well

13. JetBlue

Immediate drastic changes will be needed if that happens.

14. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

4-0 Florida after 1st period. Trotz is starting to remind me of Rex Ryan's tenure with the Jets. First two years of almost making it and then...

15. statjeff22

Sure am glad that the game wasn't on TV. Sure am sorry that I was right that it would be an upset for them to even get a point in the two games against Tampa Bay and Florida.

They had better hope that what is going on is just that 13 games was 4 or 5 too many, rather than they shot their wad in last year's semifinals, and it's all downhill from here.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not against having a defensive first scheme, and Trotz has proven that it can be successful.

The issue we have all seen is the lack of elite offensive talent on this team. All the teams ahead of us have one or two all-star offensive players.

My concern at the start of this season was an 82 game season with a team that can’t score and plays defense first.

It’s not like Lou has not tried to address it, he tried trading for Stone and tried signing Panarin, he realized the importance of having those type of forwards it just didn’t work out.

Let’s hope the season doesn’t get out of hand early and Isles stay at bottom of division, honestly I don’t see Isles making any noise this season with lack of offensive playmakers and no one taking them lightly anymore.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Well, there goes the arena opener... 5th loss in a row

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Can't fault them tonight. Covid depleted their roster. I will say the arena looks first rate on TV. Can't wait to check the place out in person.

20. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

3rd shorthanded goal allowed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.