2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If Ovechkin doesn’t hit the side of the goal on the PP it’s maybe a different game, but the absolute dominance the Isles played with, with the lead, for the last half of the 3rd was incredible. Arguably the best this squad has ever played.

Red Menace and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good game, guys! The Caps came out strong, but the next 50 minutes was all Isles. I don't know if the Caps conditioning is not up to par, or they are just not playing hard enough, or what, but the Isles definitely looked better. They played harder. They played better defense. They created more scoring opportunities. Ovechkin and Oshie clearly care, but the rest of the roster has not played like it. They look so slow. Terrible penalties too. TWO Too many man on the ice penalties? Embarrassing. Todd Reirden is clearly being out-coached by Barry Trotz. Not sure how they can re-group in time to come back in the series, but they need to find a way to at least make it competitive.

Brook!, Section 336 and JetBlue like this.
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

before this caps series started, i was watching some of vegas, carolina, and dallas games and all those teams skate hard and fast, appearing to be head and shoulders above what i thought the isles were showing during the pre-covid season........

these first 2 games against the caps have erased all that and the isles certainly look like they belong, at minimum, in the top 8. a strong close out of the caps, say in 5 or max 6 games, would be very impressive and certainly give them a lift going into the final 8.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Isles go up 3 games to 0 on the OT goal by Barzal! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Red Menace, Brook! and MJK like this.
  5. JetBlue

Just my luck...trying to do some work in between periods and take too long to get back to the game; miss the game winner.

I’ll take it, though.

Brook! and MJK like this.
  6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Great game Islanders might have a legitimate run in them if they get the PP going. Kinda think these series should be best out of five until the conference finals tho.

Brook! likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

Another good game, fellas! Varlamov deserves credit today. Made some big saves. Holtby did too, but could not stop Barzel 1 on 1 in OT. This is the best the Caps looked all series, but the Isles still looked like the better team I feel.

This series shows you how close hockey is though. If Holtby makes that routine stop Game 1 up 2-0, Caps likely win. Today, a shot goes in here or there the Caps win, instead it is 3-0. In 2018, the Caps were down 2-0 and won in OT Game 3 at CBJ to make it 2-1 and eventually won 4 in a row on the way to the Stanley Cup. Can you imagine a bad bounce and going down 3-0 to CBJ instead? It is a crazy sport.

I don't think the Caps can win 4 in a row to win this series, but it would be nice to win Game 4, and give some effort instead of rolling over. We will see how they respond.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. JetBlue

Sure glad to see that second period end.

9. statjeff22

Apparently the Islanders thought that the game ended at the 10 minute mark of the first period.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. JetBlue

Lack of discipline let the Caps back in the game and they completely dominated afterwards. Hopefully it doesn’t have the same impact on the series.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Great first 10 minutes and then poop after that. Give the Caps credit as they took advantage. Up 3-1 I hope they can end it Thursday. It won't be easy though as we saw last night. The Caps are a good team so the Isles will need to play 60 if not more to get that 4th win.

12. The Dark Knight

Nice to see the Capitals show up to the series. Caps Defenseman Brendan Dillon said it took the team 10 periods to find their game. It made me laugh, because it was sadly honest and true. Hopefully Backstrom can return and give the team the spark they need. The Islanders should feel good though. The Caps were in Do or Die mode and that was the best they could do. A 3-2 win. So the Isles just need to focus and close out the series.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The islanders have proven that they are still two big time offensive players from getting to and winning the Stanley cup. The system can only take them so far, with two all star forwards they finish the Capitals with ease, their PP still sucks and they get physically rattled relying on Bailey, Eberle and Beauvilliere.

Will not be surprised if the capitals make a series of this.

#3713 Red Menace, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    The Dark Knight and jilozzo like this.
  14. JetBlue

The Isles aren’t good enough to be as undisciplined as they were to start the 2nd.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Die Tom Wilson and Ovechkin. ; )

that is all

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Assuming the Isles can win the series then I believe Rd 2 goes like this

Flyers beat Canadiens then.....its #1 Flyers vs #4 Isles and #2 Lightning vs #3 Bruins
    Canadiens come back then.....its #1 Lightning vs #4 Canadiens and #2 Bruins vs #3 Isles.

I believe the Isles get either the Flyers or Bruins assuming they get by the Caps first which won't be easy.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

don't have a good feeling about this series now.......much like i''ve had about the jets for most of the last 40 years.

18. The Dark Knight

I was talking to my friend about this earlier. Fans in DC want a come back, but I was saying how I don't think the Caps are good enough to beat the Flyers, Lightning, or Bruins at the moment. Not sure the Islanders are either because Trotz' system wears you down. You can't keep playing perfect like that without scoring goals too. You need a balance. Then again, it could be the match-up. Maybe the structure and discipline has made both teams look worse than the other teams. Hard to tell until you match-up in the next round.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Assuming the Isles get by the Caps which is no guarantee then I hope they get the Flyers. The Isles just don't match up well against Boston who beat them almost every time. The Bergeron line shuts down the Barzal line and then who do the Isles have to generate offense. It helps that Rask opted out but Halak is a decent goalie as well.

20. statjeff22

Nassau County has reached a deal with the developer who helped finance the Coliseum's renovation for them to take over the lease. Presumably if there is a normal season next year the Isles will be playing home games at the Old Barn.

jilozzo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.