2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Its not gonna mean much if they keep Cappy for next season.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Joe and you others , I'm not sure what you mean by " fine " because I thought this team could make some noise in the playoffs and I mean go very far but not the way they are playing now,,you can see the difference. This team like all others must get and stay healthy and then I totally agree that the last few games you tweak and get things running hopefully in sinc . Okposso has only Been back a handful of games so hopefully the first line finds its groove but god we miss Leddy and our Goalie is playing well but no where near the way he was playing 2 months ago,,,,also the coach goes no where right now we are stuck with him possibly next year as well depending on the playoffs,,,,,special teams MUST get better and if they start scoring goals it gets rid of all the blemishes including the coach,,,,,,,,just my opinion

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

:D
    Torts did have his moments, e.g. when he'd turn on the beady-eyed glare and go toe-to-toe with the media in his press conferences. Some of them were pretty funny. As for his at-all-costs defensive philosophy, while it would keep the Rangers in most games (esp. with Henrik in goal), that tight to the vest style of play meant that the Rangers for the most part had no cushion or margin of error to work with, that all too often they'd have to win games 2-1 with a heavy dependence on Hank. Additionally, heaven forbid you made a mistake esp. if you were a younger player (see: Chris Kreider). One of the best things to come out of Tortorella's departure has been the development (and emergence) of young players like Kreider whom imho were stiffled by Torts. I honestly don't know enough about Capuano to comment because there didn't seem to be a "problem" earlier in the year with respect to scoring and defending whereas with Torts you knew what you were getting from day one: guys going down and hitting the ice to block shots which was all well and good except that came at the cost of a lack of counter-attacking odd man offensive rushes the other way.

And while I appreciate your gracious comment at the beginning of your post....I'm not quite sure I would describe myself as "supportive" of the Islanders.....(wink!) :D

#303 joe, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I can speak about Capuano because I have had the privilege of watching him coach since he was with the sound tigers, in bridgeport ct.

My wife and I have been going to see them for quite some time now and we have seen most of the kids develope through their careers.

And yes, you are right, they had been scoring in bunches throughout the year, but he does the same thing that Tort did with younger players, if they make a mistake, he buries them and goes with the vets.

What bothers me is the fact that it's the younger players that have helped put this team where they are, it's not Fran's Nielsen, it's not Grabner, it's not josh Bailey.

It's been the goaltending and the 3 young players making up the 3 rd line, Anders lee, ryan strome and Brock Nelson that have added to the scoring.

They get no time with the first line, none.

I understand not wanting to break up the 3rd line but they have to be put up with Tavares and see how they play.

Instead he scratches the kid with 21 goals in the season, I can't explain why you would ever do that and not think that it's going to come back to bite you in the rear.

I can go on about him but it's no use, I hope Garth realizes that he needs to make a change in the off season.

Oh by the way I watch a ton of Rangers games, I just love hockey, the only team I root against is the Penguins.

5. JetsHuskers fan

Cappys coaching style is like an art, we just arent smart enough to see it.

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Simply amazing the cannot score goals,,,,,,another one goal effort,,,,,,another loss,,,,,,,,,théy have some time to get this straightened out but It is not looking good for our guys. If the playoffs started today they could easily be one and done regardless of who they face .

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Big win tonight. We needed this badly.

8. Red Menace

Kyle returning will be good for this team, I just don't see anyone else on this offense playing the gritty type of hockey that is needed to get through the playoffs.

Grabner, Nielsen, Bailey, Tavares, strome, Brock, none of them are physical players.

Okposo is the only one who plays the physical game, when the playoffs begin, no team will be scoring 5 goals a game, they are tight and physical games.

Hopefully Capuano can get that message across, I don't think he will.

9. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Awful loss tonight. Makes you nervous about any kind of serious playoff run. Hoping they can turn it around this weekend.

10. Red Menace

other than JT, they don't have anyone else that can raise their level of play to the next level.

Bailey should have 30 goals playing with Tavares, I think he has 15 as a top line winger.

This team is not going to make any noise in the playoffs, they don't have the difference makers on offense.

I give Garth credit for picking up defensive players and a goalie, but next year they need another big time offensive player.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It's a shame that Tavares has no one to play with,,,just a shame,,,,,if i played with 91 I could score 30 goals ,,,,,,,,they played a pretty good game last nite and it would have been a nice win instead of a tough loss . I am not sure what the answer is but the coaching staff better find some answers real quick,,or we will be one and done as in first round and out !

Red Menace likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Okay seems like they njoy losing 3 - 2 lately,,,,,,or one goal games,,,,hopefully we get better luck today as I am heading to the game.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  13. Red Menace

How was the game? I thought I saw Strome playing with JT, how long did that combo last? It looked pretty good.

What line did Josh Bailey play on?

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

First minute and a half sucked as it was 2 -0 before I took a second sip of my beer,,,lots of redwing fans,,,,,Strome payed with JT and actually scored on that drop pass from 91 but he did not play exclusively with 91. Okposso was not himself,,that's what I noticed most . if this team is going to make any noise they must play better in goal and on the penalty kill.
    What really stood out to me from the second period on is how much trouble they have getting out of their own zone,it was ridiculous how they could not break the Redwings for checking,,,,,,,I will take the win but if Howard had started for the red wings we would have lost as Havlak was just atrocious in the first period but there guy was worse especially on Nielsen goal in the second,,go rewatch that if you can,,,,,I will take any win we get hopefully they go on a run and play better as a team and a whole !

15. Red Menace

I watched the Nielsen goal, yes it was terrible. I think Havlak is tired and bruised.

I'm glad Strome got a chance to play with JT, as you can see it did not last long, I dont know why Capuano insist on playing Bailey on the first line, he just does not produce enough to be on that line.

The islanders have been pretty poor all year getting out of their zone, that's due to not having the playmakers to do it. I also believe Capuano is not good at in game adjustments.

I think kyle needs some more games to get into game shape after missing so many games.

Glad you had a good game to watch

CBG likes this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I hope the new owners were watching tonight and see what a POS HC we have. Jesus another blown 3rd period lead. Up 3-1 less than 10 minutes left and to only come away with a point is inexcusable. Whatever happens the rest of this year Clueless Jack needs to be canned.

rohirrim665 and JetBlue like this.
  17. JetsHuskers fan

in other news, former NY Islanders coach Al Arbour is in Hospice Care.

Man won 4 straight cups with the Isles in 1979-80, 1980-81, 1981-82, and 1982-83.

[​IMG]

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Shame, along with Scotty Bowman, the 2 bests coaches I ever saw

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

As much as Gus want the coach gone,,,,,i would be shocked if that happens after this season regardless of how they play now or the rest of the way,,,,,,,,,best year since 93 ,,,in my eyes it should have been a much better season point wise and win wise but you must remember our owner is more clueless than woody,,,and until Snow made those trades last year I thought and still think he is clueless as well

20. Red Menace

I do want Capuano gone also, because his lines and in game adjustments all seem to be done at the wrong time, why is he still trying to pressure the puck with a forecheck up 3-1 with less than 10 minutes to go in the game?

Slow the game down, give them the first pass out of their zone and lock down the middle of the ice by clogging it up with players, force them to dump and chase, instead the jackets are skating the puck in like its pick up hockey because he is committing 2 forwards to the forecheck.

It's hockey 101, let them dump it and when you get the puck just flip it out and have the opposition start again, they don't need to keep pressuring the puck in the other teams defensive zone, let them make the mistake and get desperate.

That being said, the defensive pairings after the 2nd line can't move anyone out from in front of the net, both goals to make it 3-2 and then tie it, had blue jackets around the net like a football huddle and the islanders defenseman could not get anyone out of the way.

You guys know they might not make the playoffs, they might not even get a WC spot if they keep this up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.