2017 Yankees - This Sanchez is better than that Sanchez

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Apr 4, 2017.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Judge now holds the rookie HR record.

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yep

back to back with Sanchez to set the record in the 7th. Judge's second homer of the day.

Came up again in the 8th but was walked.

Minnesota at Yankees for the wild card.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Hicks stole a grand slam from TB

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude is as good of an outfielder as I've ever personally seen. He's showing why he was once rated as a five tool type of prospect.

The bats come alive a lot more this year. I wanted him gone to be completely honest last year, although I'm glad Girardi and Cashmen stuck with him.

We have a log jam in the outfield. Gardner could be discussed in the MVP discussion although he doesn't have the numbers. He's the longest reigning Yankee and was the glue to this offense at times. Ellsbury has been the $100+ million player he was signed to be the past six weeks.

Ellsbury/Hicks/Gardner/Frazier for two spots next year, obviously as Judge has right field locked down.

I wonder if we can get some pitching in the offseason for one of them. Frazier also has those five tool qualities, but he's been inconsistent. The guy plays the game so damn hard too.

We have a TON of pieces moving forward for the next couple years. Todd Frazier has been a dynamic defensive player this year, but I'd still like to see us move on for him for Torres and/or Andujar and keep Castro around at second base.

Didi is obviously our shortstop. Headley's been great this year as well. The infield is so deep if even one of the prospects pan out. I'd imagine Headley is kept as the backup corner infielder next year.

I don't want to see Torres/C. Frazier/Andujar used in backup capacities next season. It will stunt their development.

Amazing how bright the future is for this team. The rotation is even pretty solid.

Also, maybe we toss Tanaka out there against Kluber if we win the wild card game of course, as the sort of sacrificial lamb. I heard Francessa talking about this earlier in the week.

joe likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Tonight Masahiro was Godzilla in sheep's clothing - 15 K's

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I heard on the radio. He was dealing. Hopefully we get this Tanaka in the playoffs.

I wonder what the issue is. Most of his homeruns given up are a product of the splitter not splitting down, and hanging up. He doesn't throw hard enough or throw that pitch hard enough to not watch them get clocked out of the park.

If the guy can keep his pitches down he's golden. He works the corners decently. The extra day of rest helps a ton too. They only pitch once a week in Japan. Twice in fourteen days, not ten. At first it could've been a coincidence. Now it's pretty much proven fact that he needs to pitch on the 6th day not the 5th.

I think it's safe to say he'll opt in next year.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

its gonna be a real kick in the balls if the Yanks don't get past the Twins in the WC game.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Aaron Judge broke Babe Ruth's 96 year old record today with 33 homers at home.

Unbelieveable. I'm glad the kid seems to have figured it out. Everyone raves about his work ethic and how he never waivered from working hard or got discouraged when he hit that 6-7 week slide.

I was worried about him especially since he was so subpar in limited action last year.

I'd imagine it's a three man race for MVP with him, Altuve and the kid Ramirez from the Indians. It'll be interesting to see who they give it to. It's safe to say that none of these three teams would be where they are today without these three players.

Judge's numbers are so damn eye-popping though. Strikes out a lot, yes, but he also supplements that with a ton of walks.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So proud of the Yankees! Bring on the Astros.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Obviously Judge needs to work on hitting offspeed. For christs sake already, man.

He struck out more in that series than Tony Gwynn did in 1995 (135 games) and 1998 (111 games). Also tied him in his 1991 season.

Safe to say he was awful. He's a liability in the 2-hole. There was a perfect oppprtunity to move a runner over last night with a Gardner on, no outs and he struck out. Hicks needs to be in that 2 slot. He had 20 at bats, 16 K's, one double. .050 batting average. Awful.

He's pulling off of pitches so badly. He needs to take A-Rod's approach of hitting the ball the other way because he definitely has the power to jack balls out in right field. Whenever he struggles, is when he's getting away from that approach.

It's amazing how much he walks. Lead the league in walks and runs. And... strikeouts. Throw any sort of slider or changeup or curve that dives away from him and he's swinging over the top of it.

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Never quit

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Now if only the newest Ruth/Gehrig, Mantle/Maris combo would wake up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ruth's grave's local, 15 min. away (Hawthorne), always lots of 'good luck deliveries' dropped off come the playoffs - sec. 25 if you're in the neighborhood : ) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

WFAN reporting the Yankees have decided not bring back Joe Girardi as manger. Surprising considering they had a good year.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

So, do we want John Farrell?

15. matt robinson 17

Not a fan of firing JG

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Same here. Especially the timing. I guess they feel he held the team back, but that is hard to understand with the jump and progress they made in 2017. Hate to switch managers then fall back in 2018.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Seriously, though, how hard is it really to manage a team with a DH and four closers in the bullpen?

18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Sounds like the team really didn't even like Joe..honestly he's been with the team 10 years it's time for a different voice..kinda reminds me when Buck was let go.

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Not many places you get to alcs game 7 and get fired

20. matt robinson 17

Aaron Boone

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.