2016 NCAA Basketball thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Texas gonna beat Kasnas tonight.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Wow can't believe how shitty the home cooking refs are down in Chapel Hill.

Normal refs and Syracuse wins going away.

But I finally figured out what juncs relation is to UNC.

He's Roy Williams illegitimate bastard child.

I thought Boehiem was a complainer.

That guy is a maniacal whiny pussy nut job.

I get it now.

_

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Carolina Blew

4. dawinner127

Guess I was drinking too much of Texas KoolAid. Texas was just abysmal at finishing around the rim and Kansas was lights out.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Shaka Smart teams play amazing defense and they can get out and run with anyone...... but they cannot shoot. Texas threw up lots of bricks last night. Just wasn't their night because it was compounded with Kansas hitting everything, even when defended nicely

6. dawinner127

Yup totally agree. I hope they somehow matchup again in the conference tourney

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...ed-for-the-remainder-of-the-season/370686771/

University of Minnesota basketball guards Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason and Dupree McBrayer will be suspended for the remainder of the season, the team announced on Tuesday.

The three were benched on Sunday for the Gophers' 84-71 loss at Illinois. Two days earlier, a sex video appeared on the social media accounts of Dorsey. The university has not yet confirmed whether the video is related to the suspensions. Neither Mason nor McBrayer were identified in the videos, which were removed shortly after the posting.

"After careful and continued consideration, I am suspending Kevin Dorsey, Nate Mason and Dupree McBrayer for the duration of the season," coach Richard Pitino said in a statement. "I believe this is the best thing for the basketball program as we strive to build a strong and respectful culture each and every day.

"We do our best to continue to consistently teach, educate and serve all of our student-athletes. It’s a privilege to be a member of the University of Minnesota basketball program – something as a coaching staff we do not take lightly and that we stress daily to our student athletes. In this instance, these student-athletes failed to meet the standards we have set."

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Oregon Ducks won the Pac-12 for the first time since 2002 and the local press didn't even send anyone to cover it. It's the best Ducks team since I've been alive and nobody cares. This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

9. dawinner127

One of the biggest problems is that they are on the west coast and always play at such a late time.

I cannot wait for conference tourneys to start !

10. BrowningNagle

LSU's Ben Simmons is ineligible to receive the Wooden award because of poor academics but still suits up every game. Nice system we have here.

by the way, finally most of the pundits have them as an NIT team but if LSU somehow makes the NCAA tournament, without winning their conference tournament, I will have lost respect for the championship event. That is not an NCAA tournament team, regardless of how much the media desperately wants them there because of Simmons

11. BrowningNagle

Iona defeats Monmouth in the MAAC Final. Monmouth now squarely on the bubble. I think they should be okay and Seth Davis thinks they should be a lock, but the selection committee has a way of screwing teams like Monmouth

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Their best wins are against ND and USC. They lost to three teams with an RPI of 200 or lower. How exactly is that screwing them? If Villanova had that resume, would you let them in?

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It also depends on how many mid-major tourney upsets there are. Some #1-seeded team chokes against a 16-13 team they beat twice in the regular season and in doing so corrupts the 'auto bid' field while shrinking the number of available at-large slots.

In other local news, Hofstra just missed in OT vs. NC-Wilm. while Stony Brook looks to make up for last year's conference finals gag (which they as #1 seed get to play on their home court, just like in '15). .

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

look I'm not going to fight the battle that much because I really don't care about Monmouth. Actually my alma mater (St. Bona) is a bubble team as well so I actually hope they leave Monmouth out and leave a spot open.

But if Villanova had RPI#56 with a 4-4 record against top 100 RPI teams, yes, I believe Villanova would be safely in the tournament.

How do I come up with this conclusion? well Lunardi's got South Carolina safely in the tournament despite a similar resume. He's got Wichita State safely in the tourney despite a worse resume. He's got Temple in the tourney with a worse resume. There are lots of examples. Lunardi isn't the authority by any means but you get the point.

Monmouth has the resume of a bubble team. I'm not saying they deserve a number 1 seed. I'm simply saying I think they have just as much right to be in as other bubble teams but I know the selection committee looks at the brand name alot so I could see them on the outside

15. BrowningNagle

yes that true.

what infuriates me is things like this:

Vanderbilt, who had NINE CHANCES vs NCAA teams and won 2. (home and away)
    Providence, who had EIGHT CHANCES and won 2 (home and away)
    Pittsburgh, who had EIGHT CHANCES and won 2 (home and away)
    Alabama, who had SEVEN chances and won 2 (home and away)
    Florida, who had EIGHT CHANCES and won 2 (home and away)
    Michigan, who had THIRTEEN CHANCES and won 3 (home and away)

all of those teams are bubble teams with respectable arguments for a tourney bid. and most of them will get in.

Monmouth has four chances vs. NCAA teams, none of them at home, and they win 2. I'm tired of the selection committee rewarding some of these slap dick average p5 conference teams for simply losing games against good teams. They get into the tourney and we are all shocked when they get upset every year :rolleyes:

16. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I think I picked those bums at Virginia last year. Now Pomeroy has them at #1 and every stathead is going to pick them deep this year too. I actually like Kentucky this year even though it's not supposed to be their year and all. Going to hop on some sucker Kentucky line for sure.

17. BrowningNagle

Cuse goes down. For now Lunardi still has them as "last 4 in" but its hard to imagine a team that is 19-13 and lost 5 of their last 6 games as worthy of a tourney spot.

another thing that has me scratching my head. The committee has said "consideration will be given to the games that Jim Boeheim was suspended for." as if they will overlook some of the losses because the coach was suspended for cheating. An unfortunate injury or something, sure I understand the committee taking that into consideration. But play against the rules - - get suspended for it- - and they'll consider giving you a mulligan?

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Truth be told, we weren't very good this year with a few dudes leaving WAY too early.

Boeheim didn't do shit wrong BTW. He allowed one kid to get help having a paper written. Kid probably never should have been in college--Boeheim gave him an opportunity, probably never should have.

Didn't fully enforce his own (and non-NCAA mandated) weed program.

Can't help it if a booster gave 2 players a grand total of about $2500.

_

19. dawinner127

And Duke squeaks out a win vs NC State. Damn.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I suspect they'll be left out. I was listening to Francesa on 1/20 and he said Monmouth was a lock to be in. Posted about it on the Francesa board.

http://themikefrancesa.com/showpost.php?p=2252392&postcount=322