2015 - Draft Strategy and Needs, Let the argument begin

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Our needs in my opinion rank as follows:

1. QB
    2. CB
    3. OLB
    4. G
    5. ILB
    6. OT
    7. FS

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

OL, OL, OL, OL. Get younger, get faster, you win games in the trenches. Of course it also depends on the players on the board, don't take OL just for the sake of taking OL If the right talent isn't avail.

But I would have absolutely no objection to the Jets first 3 picks being OL as long as they took the BEST OL avail and the best OL wasn't a reach for the spot.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If we get the number 1 pick I dont see how we cant take Mariota. I dont love love him as a player, but he's a potential franchise QB and if the Jets think thats how he'll develop, you have to take him. From there, you have some options.

Sign a veteran QB and sit Mariota for the entire season (injuries withstanding). This gives you two drafts to build the talent around Mariota and he'll start year 2 with a young, talented team around him. Brick is getting older and Breno is a JAG, gotta get a high end LT in there. Abushi looks solid actually, but Colon sucks, so they need to bring in a G as well. Could always use another receiver. Maybe not a first round WR, but they could use one nonetheless. If they can address those 3 needs in 2 drafts, that would serve them well.

Defensively I think they could use an MLB, and OLB, a CB or two, and a centerfield type safety.

CB should be addressed in FA. The cornerback situation is terrible right now, but Milliner and McDougle has potential as a young tandem. Unfortunately, you cant 100% bank on them, so we should proceed as if they arent going to contribute. But a healthy core of Maxwell, Milliner, McDougle is exciting for sure.

MLB I would actually be ok if the Jets used a high pick on one. I think this position will be addressed in the draft. I didnt see any I loved this upcoming draft though.

OLB can be addressed through draft or FA.