2015 - Draft Strategy and Needs, Let the argument begin

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This would be the way to go. Don't draft a QB until you have a supporting cast to help - otherwise you are just wasting the potential of another QB. Increase the talent of the roster, then they should look at a QB in 2016 or so. No sense drafting a QB with shit on the roster with nothing to work with. Find a vet next off-season.

Looking at WR / CB / RB / OL / FS (if we decide to keep Allen at CB and Pryor maybe goes to SS)

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

What "ain't gonna happen?"

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Geno Smith solidifies himself as the starter lol

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Oh, cant argue there.

I still dont think we'll be bad enough to be picking 1 or 2, unfortunately. I dont think a QB will be our number 1 this year. Hopefully 2 or 3 we draft a smart QB, who can make good decisions.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am still pissed to this day that we did not get a chance to take Gorappolo.

Guy is gonna be a stud

6. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

I can't even get involved on the other board with Geno vs Vick. I actually like Geno and for the sake of the franchise if we get another QB it would set us back again. Honestly, if you put Mariotta in this offense: i dont know how good he will do. MUST MUST MUST get playmakers this year...

Rashard Greene is great, good #2 WR, could be late 1st pick but would be a good option in rd 2 if we pick early enough. Gurley is a stud. I have seen enough UGA games to know how good he will be in the league. Zero injury history and is the most sure thing to be the next AP. I can't overstate how good he is.

Vic Beasley from Clemson would be great as our OLB but we have too many needs he wont be there for us.

Besides Gurley...I think getting a good #2 WR even if we do sign another FA would be Ty Montgomery of Stanford..the guy is a STUD. So underrated, if you haven't seen him play definitely watch him. Should be a rd 2 guy.

7. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Jaboo Winston and Mariotta are the QB's...since Mariotta will be long gone..I am 110% keeping Geno on board.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

these next 3 games are crucial for us, everyone says the rest of our schedule is pretty tame. I don't believe so.

Minnesota looks like a completely different team with Bridgewater at the helm, Steelers have been solid. KC still has a great defense.

if we lose the next 3, we can kiss any hopes of a playoff run goodbye. whereas, in that case we need to draft a top offensive playmaker. no more high picks on secondary, they aren't working for us. we need a receiver badly.

Nesquik likes this.
  9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

We need to draft a QB, not an offensive playermaker if Geno flames out imo.

If we lose these next two games, I hope we suck for the rest of the way , in hopes of landing that stud, Marcus Mariota. But knowing the Jets we'll win meaningless December games and pick 16th.

What is this point of getting a stud WR for a below average QB?

In my opinion it just allows that QB to form bad habits, and Andy Dalton is a prime example of that.

I want a longterm answer, and unfortunately Vick is too old to be that guy, and it looks like Geno won won't be the guy

In other words, If Idzik doesn't draft a QB in round one or two I'm calling for his head.

10. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We need to draft Oline with a top ten pick Not a QB unless its mariota and not play makers

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well, Mannion looked terrible vs USC. If a guy is throwing pick sixes in college, sorry not interested.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

And what are Dalton's bad habits?

13. Ozymandias

I'll take Connor Cook then try for the best receiver available in the second.

14. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

If Geno can't prove himself this season, and we're going into the draft planning on taking a QB in the 1st, we're really going to need to sign both a WR and a CB this offseason.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I think Jets should consider either Connor Cook or Kevin Hogan, probably early in the draft. My preference would be Kevin Hogan [Connor Cook's footwork is a fucking mess; Jets certainly don't need another one of these when they have Geno on board.] Of course, he should not start as a rookie. That's where Geno comes in; cruel as it might sound, but I do think Jets should keep Geno even after they draft a QB early. I think Jets should use Geno's contract as a tool as well; they aren't paying him much anyway, so they should just let him take the beating while fixing up a few critical areas.

2. Jets need to get back to the basics. They need to fix up the OL after they secure either Hogan or Cook. They had three holes in the OL after Faneca/Moore/Woody retired, and it hasn't been properly addressed so far. Also, if they can get better at OL coach, they should; I am not impressed with the work of Mike Devlin.

3. OLB is still a weakness, I'd think.

4. WR and RB should be addressed the next year, with some more bodies drafted for OL.

5. As for the WRs; FUCKING SHITCAN THAT IDIOT LAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Jets have never developed any WR worth a damn from low round picks - for ages. Jets DID have a pretty decent WR corps during Sanchez's good few years - that's when Henry Ellard was coaching WRs. I wasn't impressed with the work Ellard put out, but compared to Sanjay Lal, he looks like a WR maker out of heaven. If at all, he did fix Braylon's dropsies. Lal? Ask Stephen Hill.

If I can be as pessimistic as I could get, this is how the early part of draft would end up for me:

1st. Randy Gregory [preferred choice] or Vic Beasley or Dante Fowler
    2nd. Kevin Hogan [or Sean Mannion in 3rd; P.J. Williams, Josh Shaw or Trae Waynes in that case.]
    3rd. Sean Hickey
    4th. Arie Kouandjio or Tre' Jackson

#75 Zach, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  16. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

1. CB
    2. Guard
    3. WR
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. QB
    7. Punt Returner.

That's about the order of importance right now. If we could get Winston, I would take him, otherwise I like Geno more than all of the other QB's. Mariotta is a bust just waiting to happen. QB's that play for teams that are extremely rich in talent at WR, RB, and OL, almost always flame out. Just look at who your top guys are around the league.

Brees - Purdue - Barely any talent.
    Rodgers - Cal - Barely any talent.
    Ryan - Boston College - Barely any talent.
    Luck - Stanford - Not alot of talent at WR.

The key to finding a great QB is to find the guy who is tearing it up surrounded by 2 and 3 star players. That's obviously easier said then done but that should be that seems to be what works. This is why Garroppolo terrifies me. 53 TD passes in D-II is nuts.

17. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that I put CB #1 because of the WR class in free agency next year. There are so many good ones that we will be able to get a really good one at a great price. If Amari Cooper is available, or if a team is willing to trade, then we may have to pull the trigger though. That's a franchise changing WR, if I ever saw one.

18. Ozymandias

For CB, I say we just bring Revis back. He's starting to see that nobody is paying him what he wants. Of course I only see it as a possibility if Rex is still the HC.

As for the FA WR, I don't think Idzik will go after any of them. If we did it would probably be Michael Crabtree. SF most likely will not pay him and Jets were very high on him back when he was coming out. Even so, he'll probably command 10-12M range which we won't give him.

As for the first round, if Geno continues his play I would draft a QB or OL. Lots of solid linemen at the top, I don't want anything to do with Winston. Mariota if he's there, but I don't think we will be in position to get him.

Rounds 2-3 we take a receiver and whatever position we didn't fill in the first round.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I not impressed with any of the possible QB choices, at this point, that will be Rd 1 targets. There is a lot of a quantity but not quality, all of these QBs have flaws, on or off the the field. Winston is a head case...NO THANK YOU.

While I'm disappointed with Geno so far, IMO, it's a little too soon to dump him and move on. The ship needs to to be righted quickly or the Jets and Rex will be done this season. Geno needs to work on his mechanics ASAP, he has a strong tendency to throw the ball high and not enough touch. Also, 2 of Geno's Ints this season were the direct result of that POS LG, he needs to go. Every time I see Winters on the field, I know whats going to happen, he will get beat on a double move inside and Geno is toast.

I doubt Idzik is willing to give up on Geno, he will make Rex the scapegoat.

Jet's Offensive problems: The Jet's 2014 draft still barely addressed the offensive woes. The Jets need a #1 WR, drafting a player like Amari Cooper would be a solid start. Decker is good, but not a #1 target. Chris Johnson signing was a mistake, the guy isn't the player he was, very disappointing. Mr Gurley would be a huge addition to pair with Ivory. Our O-line has been neglected too long, unfortunately the prospects of top tier OL in Rd 1 in 2015 is thin. The O-line lacks discipline, too many stupid penalties.

A MAJOR problem I see in Idzik drafting players, he takes chances on players with an injury history in College, that is' a huge red flag. At least Geno is a tough SOB, he gets an ass kicking every week and gets up again.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

this is a deep draft for LT ?